Poll: what do you think of the Astros’ punishment?

Frobby

What do you think of the Astros’ punishment?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the Astros’ punishment?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/20/20 at 20:32

2 hours ago, weams said:

Just a reminder, this doesn't mean that the scheme wasn't being used for the other 7100 pitches.  Remember, when employing the scheme, no bang was used for a fastball.  Therefore, it is reasonable to suppose that the scheme was in place for a considerable portion of the 7100 "no-bang" pitches.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the high tech part of the front office set it up.Everyone knew.

Intern in the Houston Astros organization showed general manager Jeff Luhnow a PowerPoint presentation that featured the latest creation by the team’s high-tech front office: an Excel-based application programmed with an algorithm that could decode the opposing catchers’ signs. It was called “Codebreaker.”

I wonder if any reporter will ask Sig about his involvement in Codebreaket? 

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

So the high tech part of the front office set it up.Everyone knew.

Intern in the Houston Astros organization showed general manager Jeff Luhnow a PowerPoint presentation that featured the latest creation by the team’s high-tech front office: an Excel-based application programmed with an algorithm that could decode the opposing catchers’ signs. It was called “Codebreaker.”

I wonder if any reporter will ask Sig about his involvement in Codebreaket? 

OMG the Astros are literally going with the "blame the intern" defense. 

Report: Intern introduced Astros to 'Codebreaker' sign-stealing program

The former intern, Derek Vigoa, currently works as the Astros' senior manager of team operations. Vigoa told investigators that he assumed Luhnow knew the program would be used in live games.

5 hours ago, weams said:

I can’t believe Luhnow didn’t get a lifetime suspension.  Interesting to note that most teams started changing signs a dozen times a game as their reputation became known.  But bad teams didn’t make an effort.  

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

OMG the Astros are literally going with the "blame the intern" defense. 

Report: Intern introduced Astros to 'Codebreaker' sign-stealing program

The former intern, Derek Vigoa, currently works as the Astros' senior manager of team operations. Vigoa told investigators that he assumed Luhnow knew the program would be used in live games.

I don't think they are blaming the intern ,but he is quoted in the article.The analytics department put together the scheme 

The scheme is said to have been hatched before the 2017 season when the Astros analytical department cooked up a program — deemed “Codebreaker,” if you can believe it — that enabled swift sign deduction. As Diamond puts it, this “laid the groundwork” for the eventual trashcan-banging signaling effort that was utilized by Astros players, coaches, and video room staffers. “Codebreaker” was utilized in 2017 and 2018; it was deployed both in home and road contests.

5 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I don't think they are blaming the intern ,but he is quoted in the article.The analytics department put together the scheme 

The scheme is said to have been hatched before the 2017 season when the Astros analytical department cooked up a program — deemed “Codebreaker,” if you can believe it — that enabled swift sign deduction. As Diamond puts it, this “laid the groundwork” for the eventual trashcan-banging signaling effort that was utilized by Astros players, coaches, and video room staffers. “Codebreaker” was utilized in 2017 and 2018; it was deployed both in home and road contests.

Not sure why no one in the analytics department did not get some type of punishment if they cooked up the scheme..

6 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Not sure why no one in the analytics department did not get some type of punishment if they cooked up the scheme..

Because MLB is worried about making this look good.

You suspend the analytics department you have to suspend the players.

Easier to just suspend the guys in charge.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, weams said:

Sig was at large as a third base coach in the minors. 

He could have worked on Codebreaker before the season. He worked on Ground Control over the off season. Not saying he was the point man but he had to know. He and Luhnow were probably closest of anyone in the Astros organization.

“I’ve always had a good relationship with Jeff (Luhnow). He hasn’t just been my boss, but he’s been like my best friend for 14 years.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/11/sig-mejdal-talks-about-his-arrival-in-baltimore-and-the-work-that-awaits.html

• Upvote 1