Maryland vs. Wisconsin

Oriole4Life

Didn't watch the game last night, came here to read the comments, saw what I usually saw. The same 'ol apologists making the same 'ol excuses for not getting it done. At least people are consistent.

This is decently talented but shallow team that is poorly coached. They should make the tourney unless they implode, but will be lucky to win two games.

They are who they are. I've accepted this will be a middling program as long as Turgeon is coach. I'll watch when I get a chance or have nothing better to do, but until I see change I see no reason to "live and die" by each game with this under performing squad.

21 minutes ago, Mark Turgeon’s Suit said:

They'll be okay.

"Just OK is not OK".  For this program, at least. 

We have 9 years of evidence.  He's a high floor, low ceiling coach.  His teams will never be terrible, but they'll never be good enough to win anything either.  If that's acceptable to some as a fan, that's fine.  For those who want more, it's Turgatory.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Mark Turgeon’s Suit said:

They've lost to the #13, #16, #22 and #37 teams in the country (using kenpom), all on the road in a year that has been nearly impossible to win on the road in conference.

They were absolutely butchered by the refs with at least 5 calls in the second half that changed the course of the game.

They'll be okay.

Fans like yourself always are blaming the refs, or the weather, or the travel, the schedule, anything to not accept the facts that Turgeon-led teams lack success on the road and against highly ranked teams. 

It's ok though, I get it and don't look down upon fans like you all. Everyone is different. Some fans are just the kind that are ok with mediocrity or some just enjoy going to the games for the experience. All of that is just fine. some fans hate anything they feel is negative about their teams and take it personally, I don't. 

I've never really been that kind of fan, maybe to my own detriment I guess. I want my teams always building to get to the big prize and once it's clear the current path is not going to get there, I support change.

I don't stop liking my teams, I juts realize that the current path will not lead to anything special, and once that happens, I stop "living and dying" with the games. 

Turgeon seems like a real good guy, but his teams always have the lack of court awareness and become undisciplined in key moments, which to me is a coaching/recruiting problem when it's consistent over multiple teams and players. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

"Just OK is not OK".  For this program, at least. 

We have 9 years of evidence.  He's a high floor, low ceiling coach.  His teams will never be terrible, but they'll never be good enough to win anything either.  If that's acceptable to some as a fan, that's fine.  For those who want more, it's Turgatory.

Turgatory, lol. Classic!!!

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Fans like yourself always are blaming the refs, or the weather, or the travel, the schedule, anything to not accept the facts that Turgeon-led teams lack success on the road and against highly ranked teams. 

It's ok though, I get it and don't look down upon fans like you all. Everyone is different. Some fans are just the kind that are ok with mediocrity or some just enjoy going to the games for the experience. All of that is just fine. some fans hate anything they feel is negative about their teams and take it personally, I don't. 

I've never really been that kind of fan, maybe to my own detriment I guess. I want my teams always building to get to the big prize and once it's clear the current path is not going to get there, I support change.

I don't stop liking my teams, I juts realize that the current path will not lead to anything special, and once that happens, I stop "living and dying" with the games. 

Turgeon seems like a real good guy, but his teams always have the lack of court awareness and become undisciplined in key moments, which to me is a coaching/recruiting problem when it's consistent over multiple teams and players. 

I actually think this loss isn't one you should judge the team on.  We got hosed this game by a lot of things, and it took a miracle inbounds play on their part followed by a super un-clutch defensive performance by Morsell to lose us the game.  But if you had this opinion because of the Penn State, Seton Hall, and Iowa games (especially the Iowa game, holy crap that was a poopshow) I wouldn't blame you in the least bit.  I certainly wouldn't expect you to change that opinion after this game.

My only other comment here is that everyone in the B1G is losing on the road, so at least we're in good company.

I'm probably in the mediocrity fan realm, but when have we ever been the Duke/Kansas/Kentucky of the world?  Heck, when have we been on the UCLA level?  Dominant for years and then dormant.  Turgeon has a better winning percentage than our HOF coach Gary Williams at Maryland, at this time.  I also think the Big Ten is a better conference than the ACC over the past few years, aside from Duke and UNC, there really hasn't been dominant competition there in my opinion.  And its also an off year for basketball, everyone seems to be losing, and I have to agree with Bilas a bit(which I don't do often) that it is a ref problem, trying to understand NCAA take on rules.  We had two years where we made it to the final four and 1 of those we won a championship, yet we act like if we don't get to the big dance, the season is a bust.  

I enjoy watching the games.  Turgeon does have flaws and I am disappointed slightly with his development of players, but right now, we don't exactly have the budget to fire Turgeon and hire someone better or keep hiring and firing coaches.  

55 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

I'm probably in the mediocrity fan realm, but when have we ever been the Duke/Kansas/Kentucky of the world?  Heck, when have we been on the UCLA level?  Dominant for years and then dormant.  Turgeon has a better winning percentage than our HOF coach Gary Williams at Maryland, at this time.  I also think the Big Ten is a better conference than the ACC over the past few years, aside from Duke and UNC, there really hasn't been dominant competition there in my opinion.  And its also an off year for basketball, everyone seems to be losing, and I have to agree with Bilas a bit(which I don't do often) that it is a ref problem, trying to understand NCAA take on rules.  We had two years where we made it to the final four and 1 of those we won a championship, yet we act like if we don't get to the big dance, the season is a bust.  

I enjoy watching the games.  Turgeon does have flaws and I am disappointed slightly with his development of players, but right now, we don't exactly have the budget to fire Turgeon and hire someone better or keep hiring and firing coaches.  

Maryland has never been in the Elite of College Basketball, except for a short stretch. However, with all of the talent in the DMV it should be. Gary hated the recruiting part, Turgeon can't Coach or develop anyone. I have always thought it's the Maryland Admin that has held them back. Loh is a total idiot that they let stay in place. Bad decisions for both the Basketball and Football Teams. 

Considering these teams provide, by far, most of the money for the entire athletic dept, it should be more of a priority.

As for the Officials they are terrible too. That happens when you constantly change the rules and give no clear guidelines.

I don't expect a Final Four run every year, but Maryland should be doing much better than it has. I don't expect that to change until Loh is gone and they get someone in there that can see that the Basketball and Football programs are vital to the success of the University. Instead of this half hearted effort to remain relevant.

15 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Maryland has never been in the Elite of College Basketball, except for a short stretch. However, with all of the talent in the DMV it should be. Gary hated the recruiting part, Turgeon can't Coach or develop anyone. I have always thought it's the Maryland Admin that has held them back. Loh is a total idiot that they let stay in place. Bad decisions for both the Basketball and Football Teams. 

Considering these teams provide, by far, most of the money for the entire athletic dept, it should be more of a priority.

As for the Officials they are terrible too. That happens when you constantly change the rules and give no clear guidelines.

I don't expect a Final Four run every year, but Maryland should be doing much better than it has. I don't expect that to change until Loh is gone and they get someone in there that can see that the Basketball and Football programs are vital to the success of the University. Instead of this half hearted effort to remain relevant.

I don't really think that being geographically close to talent has any benefit to attracting said talent to your school.  Sure, it's logistically easier to plan recruiting trips, but the recruits don't give you any leg up when making their decisions.  it's 100% program funding, support from school admin/leadership, and coach.

11 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I don't really think that being geographically close to talent has any benefit to attracting said talent to your school.  Sure, it's logistically easier to plan recruiting trips, but the recruits don't give you any leg up when making their decisions.  it's 100% program funding, support from school admin/leadership, and coach.

The Funding is there, the other 2 not so much.

It sure is funny to me how hard it is to win on the road these days.  I guess it has something to do with the home team picks the ball, and that the talent is more spread out these days.  

Hate to see Terps lose to unranked team on the road but Duke lost to an ordinary Clemson team on the road last night too, if that gives you any solace.