Video of Altuve

Uli2001

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah and then on Reddit someone posted 5 photos from Altuves Instagram account where he had his shirt off.  

The Astros fan fest is on Saturday maybe he will explain in more detail his reasoning.

I didn't say I believe him, I just said that's what his excuse was. Seems like weak sauce to me.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Again, refresh my memory of systemic evidence that getting plunked causes brain damage. Brian Roberts had concussions too. they were caused by him hitting himself on the head with his own bat and then sliding head first. 

I have never seen anyone even vaguely suggest getting hit with baseballs have caused CTE. Ray Chapman is the only player to die as a result of getting beaned and that was before helmets. Even Freel, who said he up to 10 concussions, got them from crashing into walls, othere players, and getting hit on a pickoff throw. No where has anyone suggest that getting plunked is a major cause of concussions.

In fact, I would argue catchers have a much better chance of concussion while wearing their mask. 

Your suggestion that pitchers plunking guys (particularly when no one throws at anyone's head) is some kind of concern for brain injury is hysterical at best.

No one should joke about CTE or brain injuries, nor should anyone get all upset over someone suggesting players will provide their own justice to the known cheaters.

Folks are saying "bean".  The term bean, in the baseball sense is about hitting someone in the head (bean is an euphemism for head). 

Here is a SF Chronicle article.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/giants/shea/article/After-a-beaning-it-s-a-fragile-road-back-to-11075017.php

Then the Giants left fielder, Aoki had a particularly rough time recovering from a concussion after taking a Jake Arrieta fastball off his head in August 2015.

Their best player, Buster Posey, is shelved with concussion symptoms after getting beaned by a 94 mph fastball from Arizona’s Taijuan Walker in Monday’s home opener. Posey left the game, and a day later the Giants put him on the seven-day concussion disabled list.

Many players over the years never returned to form after getting beaned, the most prominent cases including Hall of Fame catcher Mickey Cochrane, who was forced into retirement after a 1937 beaning, and Tony Conigliaro and Dickie Thon, whose promising careers were cut short by traumatic eye injuries as a result of getting hit. Outfielder Paul Blair played 17 seasons but was never the same player after being beaned in 1970, midway through his career.

Just now, yeoledugger said:

The MLB wants the Astro cheating scandal to quickly die down and go away. I suspect it will not. The NY media will be all over this tomorrow and I expect the buzzergate story then to explode. The MLB will be pressured to reopen their investigation. 

Yeah MLB didn’t do these guys any favors by not suspending them.  They will be hounded by the press for quite a while.  Should have just admitted cheating got a month suspension and moved on.

This is a nice piece.

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/sports/2009/august/History-of-Baseball-Players-Struck-in-the-Head.html

I had forgotten this part about Don Zimmer 

Don Zimmer, while playing in AAA in 1953, was hit in the head with a curve ball. Zimmer, who wasn't wearing a helmet, fell into a semicomatose state for the next 13 days.

Doctors drilled four small holes into Zimmer’s skull to relieve the pressure. After waking up, he was unable to speak for weeks and lost more than 40 pounds.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Folks are saying "bean".  The term bean, in the baseball sense is about hitting someone in the head (bean is an euphemism for head). 

Here is a SF Chronicle article.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/giants/shea/article/After-a-beaning-it-s-a-fragile-road-back-to-11075017.php

None of this proves a systematic issue with players getting hit by baseballs getting concussions. No one was suggesting anyone should be hit in the head. Even people who use bean are not talking about getting in the head. You are looking for something to be outraged about here. I'm not taking the bait.

Yes, players have been hurt by getting hit with baseballs in the head, but considering the amount of pitches that batters have faced over the last 60 years and the limited amount of actual injuries, few of which were life altering makes this a non issue.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This actually might be the biggest black eye baseball has had since the Black Sox scandal.    It’s really tarnished the game.   

It certainly is embarrassing that their World Series winner clearly cheated to get there. Honestly I think they should take away their World Championship, and suspend any player who was involved. They need to come down harder to make sure this doesn't happen again. 

• Upvote 1