Maryland at Indiana

ArtVanDelay

I like the fired up Jalen Smith too.

Watched the final few minutes again. Cowan came uo huge down the stretch. Had a monster 3, then came up with the deflection that led to a steal and Wiggins 3. Then a beautiful entry pass to Stix for the game winning score. Love seeing that.

I got emotional seeing that win, particularly shortly hearing about Kobe. I'd like to think that win was for him, even if there is no relation.

It's also the risk fans take spewing vitriolic hate at opposing players. You just know those Indiana fans were spewing hate. That has never made sense to me when fans go after a guy when it can clearly backfire and motivate him.

Also noticed their fans over the top whining after basically every call against them.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Finisher said:

It's also the risk fans take spewing vitriolic hate at opposing players. You just know those Indiana fans were spewing hate. That has never made sense to me when fans go after a guy when it can clearly backfire and motivate him.

Also noticed their fans over the top whining after basically every call against them.

The refereeing was pretty consistently bad today.  But the Hoosiers fans probably don't want to hear about that BS double dribble or that foul on the shot clock violation.

I still hate B1G refs, though.

28 minutes ago, Hallas said:

The refereeing was pretty consistently bad today.  But the Hoosiers fans probably don't want to hear about that BS double dribble or that foul on the shot clock violation.

I still hate B1G refs, though.

I thought the referees were fine.  Missed several Terp walks in the first half, seemed to bail out IU on some of those late calls, not a fan of that foul on Smith by Davis on the first half 3 - should have been a flop call IMO considering there was no or barely any body contact.  The refs were not the difference today, and they rarely are, but I have seen really bad calls made and missed this season.

Looked like two good teams going at it pretty good.  Smith is a beast - really would be nice to see him consistently take his game to the next level.

Tough loss for IU.  Maryland makes a bunny on their possession, we miss ours.  Should have been able to get the ball across half court a couple possessions earlier, but didn't.  We had a tough time containing Cowan.

Most fans aren't familiar with Jerome Hunter's story.  He came in last season as a top 50 recruit and sustained an injury before last season's first game.  The full injury has not been disclosed, but it appears to have been something in his lower calf.  He had surgery and not only missed all of last season, but couldn't play/practice and took a redshirt.  Hunter was cleared for practice, has been working on getting in game shape, has seen playing time ramp up lately and played his best game today.  Healthy, this guy would have made a huge difference last season when teams were packing the lane to stop Juwan Morgan and Romeo Lankford, but he was hurt.  Hunter still has some defense quickness issues to work on IMO, but the offensive package is a strong one given his outside shot and his height and he could really be a difference maker going forward.

I think that was a great win.  Indiana scored on every single trip down the floor to start the second half.  It had to be 13 times down and 13 scores.  Even when they missed, they got the offensive rebound and scored.  I don't think they even made any free throws in that stretch.....it was all made baskets. Sometimes, the other team just decides to try harder and stops missing shots and they did a great job.  This had loss written all over it, so I have to give credit to the Terps for winning a game that they should have lost....which is very rare in the Turge era. 

I thought the Maryland offensive spacing was the best we have faced all year.  We were not within five feet of most of your first half shots.

Like our Mich State game on Thursday, I thought at the under 4 time out that we had played with appropriate effort,  played hard and put ourselves in a position to win.  22 assists against 6 turnovers at home and we lost - that is how it goes.  Maryland played at a high level, made the plays down the stretch and IU didn't.  Great game.

On 1/26/2020 at 3:11 PM, hoosiers said:

I thought the Maryland offensive spacing was the best we have faced all year.  We were not within five feet of most of your first half shots.

Like our Mich State game on Thursday, I thought at the under 4 time out that we had played with appropriate effort,  played hard and put ourselves in a position to win.  22 assists against 6 turnovers at home and we lost - that is how it goes.  Maryland played at a high level, made the plays down the stretch and IU didn't.  Great game.

It was a good game.  That 10 minute stretch from the end of the first half to around the second tv timeout was just lights out by IU.  They couldn't miss if they tried.  Was it Hunter that came in shooting less than 20% from 3 and then proceeded to bury 3 straight from downtown?  And then the Terps would force awkward shots in the paint and they'd fall in anyway.