Maryland vs Rutgers

Tony-OH

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rutgers on a 15-4 run and Maryland can't hit water if it fell out of a boat, even from two feet away from the basket. 

Make that a 17-4 run before the Genius calls a timeout to stop his disorganized and clueless "top ten" team. 

You can set your watch to a Turgeon team putting up a clunker when they get into the top ten of the rankings. 

Just now, Oriole4Life said:

Lots of time left. Started out shooting the 3 hot, then began settling and missing. Marial got beat on two plays, he isn't conditioned yet. A few turnovers, I don't like seeing guys drive straight into traffic and turning it over.

Marial is not ready to play DIV-I basketball. 

Rutgers defense is too much for the vanilla Turgeon offense. They need someone to get red hot from outside because Turgeon is not a good enough coach to score inside on Rutgers right now.

I won't blame Turgeon on this totally though. The team is totally embarrassing itself offensively. this team is full of mental midgets that tense up when things don't go well. 

Ayala has become awful this year, Wiggens is invisible once again, and Cowan looks like a clueless Freshman. 

Great coaching by the Rutgers coach to force someone other than Stix to shoot.

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

And Rutgers is also a terrible offensive team, which is the only saving grace for coming back. 

Yeah, the Terps should be able to come back if they don't shoot the way they did in the first half, but gotta give Rutgers some credit for playing tough D. Cowan needs to step up in this second half and start driving and dish to open players who might want to actually hit a basket. Right now the lack of depth on this team really shows when Cowans and Stix are held in check. There is not one other player that can be counted on to score on this team. Ayala has regressed and Wiggins just totally disappears for long stretches of every game then breaks out for one or two athletic plays that gets people excited. 

Scott is a backup grinder on a good team, and the rest, can't even earn rotation time because they don't really do anything way none have good offensive games.

8 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Watching them play is depressing at times.   They just really often fall into a disorganized, low energy, low toughness style. 

You know, I can actually see what they're trying to do now, which is a lot more than I could say earlier in the season.  Now it's just execution.  We don't have an answer for Rutgers being slappy inside the paint, because we can't hit a god damn basket.  Ayala has had at least 2 looks from beyond the arc where he didn't have a red shirt within 10 feet of him, and he wasn't even close on both.

Either way, it's frustrating to watch them get so easily disrupted by a team that plays a bit chippy, especially since it's happened all season and we never seem to adjust to it.

I guess I can take solace in the fact that Duke somehow managed to score only 21 points in a half vs 11-11 Boston College.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, the Terps should be able to come back if they don't shoot the way they did in the first half, but gotta give Rutgers some credit for playing tough D. Cowan needs to step up in this second half and start driving and dish to open players who might want to actually hit a basket. Right now the lack of depth on this team really shows when Cowans and Stix are held in check. There is not one other player that can be counted on to score on this team. Ayala has regressed and Wiggins just totally disappears for long stretches of every game then breaks out for one or two athletic plays that gets people excited. 

Scott is a backup grinder on a good team, and the rest, can't even earn rotation time because they don't really do anything way none have good offensive games.

It just seems to be a mess...

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think I'm at the point where there might be something wrong with the system if it's systemically causing 3-point sharpshooters to regress.  The simple fact is that you have to have a consistent 3 point shooter on your team if you want to be successful in today's basketball, and we'd be up by 15 right now if we could hit an open shot from 3.  I think Turgeon's at least partially fixed his scheme problems over the past 5 or so games.  But why do Turgeon's players so consistently forget how to shoot the 3 ball?