32 Orioles Pitchers Who Started 10+ Games Last Decade

Frobby

I counted up 32 pitchers who started 10+ games for the O’s during the last decade.    Here they are, in buckets:

The 100+ Club

Tillman 193

Gausman 127

Chen 117

Jimenez 104

Bundy 103

The 50-99 Club

Gonzalez 95

Guthrie 64

Arrieta 63

Matusz 60

The 40-49 Club

Norris 48

Britton 46

Cashner 45

Hammel 43

Miley 43

Bergesen 40

The 20-39 Club

Hess 33

Millwood 31

Cobb 31

Hunter 31

Means 27

Gallardo 23

Wright 23

The 10-19 Club

Wilson 19

Simon 16

Wojchiechowski 16

Feldman 15

Ynoa 13

Ramirez 13

Brooks 12

Yacabonis 11

Garcia 10

Hellickson 10

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Cy Young started 411 games in the 1890s.  Palmer started 352 in the 1970s.  

Steve Barber had 211 in the 1960s.  Hal Brown 77 from '54-59. McGregor 247 in the 80s.  Mussina 254 in the 90s.

Thanks, you saved me the work.    I was planning to look at who led the O’s in other decades.     It’s certainly no surprise that Palmer easily had the most in any decade, followed by Mussina.   I doubt I could have told you that McGregor was close to Mussina.   (I see that Cuellar also had 244 in the 70’s.)    Nor would I have guessed that Barber led in the ‘60’s, but that’s mainly because I wasn’t paying attention until 1966.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Thanks, you saved me the work.    I was planning to look at who led the O’s in other decades.     It’s certainly no surprise that Palmer easily had the most in any decade, followed by Mussina.   I doubt I could have told you that McGregor was close to Mussina.   (I see that Cuellar also had 244 in the 70’s.)    Nor would I have guessed that Barber led in the ‘60’s, but that’s mainly because I wasn’t paying attention until 1966.    

McGregor surprised me, since he was only good in the first few years of the decade.  His ERA+ was never 100 after '83.  I would have guessed Boddicker, but I forget he was an '83 rookie and was traded mid-year '88 so he only had 180 Oriole starts.

And... it wouldn't be me if I wasn't a bit more complete:

1870s: Bobby Mathews, 47 (all in '72)

1880s: Matt Kilroy, 233

1890s: Sadie McMahon: 225

1901-02: Joe McGinnity, 66

It would take much more effort to compile the minor league Orioles' numbers.  And the records aren't complete, so it's probably not possible with online sources.  Lefty Grove did start 154 games for the O's in the 1920s, but that might not lead the team.  Jack Ogden appeared in many more games, but starts are not broken out for his time with the IL Orioles.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

This got me to thinking, who started the most games for the Orioles in the previous decade?     And the answer of course, is Sidney Ponson (160), followed closely by Daniel Cabrera (146).

What a dark, dark decade.    

I would have guessed Rodrigo without looking it up, but maybe he crossed over into the 2010s.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• We are a young and extremely flawed team.  We likely do not go far at all.   Henderson is the king of errors lately.  It is a disappointment.  Adley also is a major disappointment.  Maybe next year they bloom.  But next year we wont have Burnes or Santander.  So we will just suck in different ways.
    • I guess the acc in your username doesn't stand for "accurate." I mean, it's a valid point that Cal was error prone then, with 25-26-26 errors in 1983-4-5. So why hyperbolize to "twice as many"? Gunnar's on pace for 24. (ugly loss overreaction alert): Ortiz gone, I'm on Griff O'Ferrall watch now. Or voting Mateo '25. Yes, even though Cal improved. Machado is the better comp.
    • This was a game a true ace has to win. He was paired against a struggling pitcher, and our "ace" hasn't been dominant in the last 3-4 starts. As I expected Burnes came up small even though the  line said he was only charged with one earned run(Ohtani's leadoff  first inning HR was another thing an "ace" doesnt give up).When Urias made a horrible error , an "ace" bears down and doesn't groove a pitch for a 3-run HR which was basically the game right there.Then tack on a terrible wild pitch in which the runner took TWO bases, another Henderson error on a routine play, and there you have it. Our Ace has given up 6 runs in all and there was little evidence he will be the dominating pitcher we saw in the first half of the season. I know the errors were the key to the game, but usually the great pitchers find a way to overcome the extra outs...and Burnes didnt do that.I know Eflin will return to the rotation in the Colorado series, and then two weeks later, Grayson. But if Burnes keeps pitching like this, it will be a very, very short post season. All and all a very disappointing performance from our so called "Ace",,and the defense was pitiful too. A winnable game...and a lost opportunity.
    • Burnes has been putting up close to a 9 ERA for a month and he has lost his ability figure his way out of trouble.  I don't know if he has a tired arm or mentally tired or something is wrong.  At this point, running him out there every 5th day for the same terrible results is stupid.
    • This has to be satire.
    • You're not kidding, wow! :   https://www.espn.com/mlb/recap/_/gameId/401570466
    • I apologize, I was a bit rude with the way I responded.  Anyways, I think you are looking at this the wrong way.  He's handed a 3-1 lead and got the first batter out in the 3rd.  Then Urias makes an error.  Then he implodes and gives up 4 runs.  Just cause they are unearned doesn't get him off the hook.  He turned a 1 out base runner into a 4 run inning.  This is your ace and he has been bad all month and he came up small again.  And he can't control the running game either, he allowed 4 SB.  Usually his inability to hold runners doesn't matter because he doesn't allow many base runners but that's not been the case this month and it is really hurting the team.  Later in the 5th inning he allowed a lead off hit from the #9 batter on a 0-2 count.  Next Ohtani singed a ball at 108 MPH but thankfully it was right at O'Hearn who dropped it and didn't turn the DP but still got an out.  That easily couldn't have been a double.  Eventually his inability to control the run game combined with Gunnar's error led to another run.  So I'm not saying it's all his fault, but just pointing out that just looking at his outing with the 5 unearned runs is not looking at the whole picture And btw, I am not closing the book on him this season because I still believe that he'll turn it around.  But it is frustrating to see him have another outing like this.  
  • Popular Contributors