MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

33 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

In the Senate bill they want to move the filing deadline as well as the payment deadline to July 15th. Just payment has been moved so far.

Funny you guys are talking about this this morning.  Since this exchange, Treasury has announced that the filing date has moved back to 7/15.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

He is clueless about COVID-19 too.

If this is badly, then he really needs to look hard at other countries, and what really is going on. It is so much worse there.

We are 10 days behind Italy. I am not sure what you are talking about. Every step of the way some of you have called me an alarmist but every step of the way it has been worse than I predicted.  You can keep your head in the sand or you can read everything out there and be a realist.  And Korea , Japan and China seem to have things under control. 

18 minutes ago, atomic said:

We are 10 days behind Italy. I am not sure what you are talking about. Every step of the way some of you have called me an alarmist but every step of the way it has been worse than I predicted.  You can keep your head in the sand or you can read everything out there and be a realist.  And Korea , Japan and China seem to have things under control. 

The JHU tracking tool is the only thing I’ve seen that provides good data to track it.  Obviously, the case load figures are underreported whereas the death numbers reported are closer to reality.

What I find interesting is the mortality rate (deaths/reported cases) for a country like Germany is only 0.3%, but for Japan it’s 3.4%.  The U.S is 1.4% The highest is Italy at 8.3%, and I believe one of the main reasons is that overtaxed hospitals.  Which is why there is a call for social distancing.  

I’d like to get a better understanding of what Germany is doing compared to other European countries like Spain, France, and the U.K. These countries’ mortality rate currently ranges from 3.4-4.6%.

21 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

The JHU tracking tool is the only thing I’ve seen that provides good data to track it.  Obviously, the case load figures are underreported whereas the death numbers reported are closer to reality.

What I find interesting is the mortality rate (deaths/reported cases) for a country like Germany is only 0.3%, but for Japan it’s 3.4%.  The U.S is 1.4% The highest is Italy at 8.3%, and I believe one of the main reasons is that overtaxed hospitals.  Which is why there is a call for social distancing.  

I’d like to get a better understanding of what Germany is doing compared to other European countries like Spain, France, and the U.K. These countries’ mortality rate currently ranges from 3.4-4.6%.

Yet, one of the OH posters was bragging about Italy and how well they were doing, and yet, complaining how the US was doing nothing. SMH

Caution, for all, be very careful about the JHU site, there are a couple of fake sites that look like JHU that will cyber attack your device.

40 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Germany testing people without symptoms so they are getting cases early. Look at recovered to death rate looks bad. There are more people just diagnosed with virus than people who have had it for a while. Until you follow all cases from infection to either recovery or death you won’t have the real rate.

52 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Age and health play the main role. Italy has a higher “elderly” population and the health isn’t as good overall. Plus, homes and towns are compact, making the spread go easier. 

My main worry is them slowing it down so much and still putting out so much fear about it that even if/when the number of new cases are super low, everyone still freaks out over it.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, atomic said:

Germany testing people without symptoms so they are getting cases early. Look at recovered to death rate looks bad. There are more people just diagnosed with virus than people who have had it for a while. Until you follow all cases from infection to either recovery or death you won’t have the real rate.

I think that’s tough to do at this point (with the exception of China) as the number of new cases rise exponentially and the recovery time period can last up to a month.  You can die within days of being diagnosed, so wouldn’t that skew the ratio in the current sense?  In hindsight you can compare death rate to recovery rate.

Kind of related, I read an article about there are roughly around 100k Iranians still around who survived Saddam’s gassing and are at a high risk of death from Corona.

3 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Most of the outcomes are based on data points and if this is done or if this is not done. Usually have three moving outcomes for each. The politicians in certain cases will pick the worst outcome especially to get the peoples attention during a lockdown. Maybe more people will take it seriously. 

Even the common cold is a virus. 

As U.S. authorities scrambled to ramp up the nation’s capacity to test for coronavirus last week, at least 100 executives and other New Yorkers of means had easy access to testing, according to two sources familiar with the activities of a little-known medical service catering to the affluent.

These people paid a $5,000-a-year membership fee for a medical concierge service in New York City called Sollis Health, which worked with Enzo Clinical Labs Inc to test its members for COVID-19, according to the sources.

The arrangement gave members, which include people in finance, entertainment, advertising, and media industries, access to the tests at home at a time New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said the state had the capacity to test just a few hundred patients a day. The two sources declined to provide the identities of the people the company tested for coronavirus and Reuters could not establish them.

Midnight Oil! There's a blast from the past!

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I wouldn't trust one GD word that China says. Japan and Korea is good news tho.

9 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I think that’s tough to do at this point (with the exception of China) as the number of new cases rise exponentially and the recovery time period can last up to a month.  You can die within days of being diagnosed, so wouldn’t that skew the ratio in the current sense?  In hindsight you can compare death rate to recovery rate.

Kind of related, I read an article about there are roughly around 100k Iranians still around who survived Saddam’s gassing and are at a high risk of death from Corona.

when other countries are under reporting and withholding numbers, then its all subject to MEH.

I think if you look at the US, the numbers are lower than expected, and hopefully, we are not at a place where the worst is yet to come.

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Is PA ,mostly on lockdown?

Not that I particularly know of. All our restaurants are carry-out only. Here in the boonies... I don't know about Philly or Pittsburgh or the other bigger cities.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

when other countries are under reporting and withholding numbers, then its all subject to MEH.

I think if you look at the US, the numbers are lower than expected, and hopefully, we are not at a place where the worst is yet to come.

The numbers are not lower than expected.  Exponential growth.  How many cases per day where we having a week ago. How many are we having now? How many will we have next week.  Korea is not under reporting.  US is though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, backwardsk said:

I remember reading that Italy has the oldest population in Europe.