MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

26 minutes ago, weams said:

EVAew6BUYAA18iM?format=png&name=large

The Arizona idea is interesting - but certainly not without plenty of challenges.

For any plan to work - MLB will need tests. They'll need to test and test and test to make sure that no player, coach, stadium or hotel worker within the sequestered baseball bubble tests positive for COVID-19. They simply can't do that while states are begging for more testing equipment. It'd be a PR nightmare.

It seems like they are optimistic that tests will be available in May. If MLB can put together a second Spring Training in Arizona - it'd actually make a June Opening Day a possibility.

32 minutes ago, weams said:

If they do Spring Training games they will need additional players at the beginning. Pitchers will need to be stretched out.What happens to the players who are not put on the roster? Do they go back home? Do they have a b league practice squad that plays each other? Enough stadiums if all the teams play in a single day?

Or day and night games for different teams?

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

If they do Spring Training games they will need additional players at the beginning. Pitchers will need to be stretched out.What happens to the players who are not put on the roster? Do they go back home? Do they have a b league practice squad that plays each other? Enough stadiums if all the teams play in a single day?

I think multiple games would probably have to happen at a stadium each day. Arizona heat complicates that, but I'd imagine you'd see an early game and a late game. They're not going to want East Coast teams playing at 10pm ET every night.

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Yea I imagine morning, afternoon and night games. As many as four games a day in a single Stadium perhaps? Not sure how long grounds crew would need to get the field game-ready after a game, but I think with no fans it would be a short turn around. 

12 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

The Arizona idea is interesting - but certainly not without plenty of challenges.

For any plan to work - MLB will need tests. They'll need to test and test and test to make sure that no player, coach, stadium or hotel worker within the sequestered baseball bubble tests positive for COVID-19. They simply can't do that while states are begging for more testing equipment. It'd be a PR nightmare.

It seems like they are optimistic that tests will be available in May. If MLB can put together a second Spring Training in Arizona - it'd actually make a June Opening Day a possibility.

They won't be able to burn that many tests without blowback unless they fix the test situation for the rest of us.  Imagine finding out that MLB players are being tested weekly while run of the mill Americans are being told that, despite symptoms, they can't get tested.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, joelala said:

Yea I imagine morning, afternoon and night games. As many as four games a day in a single Stadium perhaps? Not sure how long grounds crew would need to get the field game-ready after a game, but I think with no fans it would be a short turn around. 

I'm sure all the facilities have minor league fields that could be co-opted for the duration. 

20 hours ago, George said:

Jarman86's analogy with private schools is flawed. Good private schools, like Gilman and Johns Hopkins, are non-profits. The for-profit private schools are an educational joke.

I don't recall saying it wasn't flawed.  My analogy was to say that I'd listen to the school/baseball connection analogy better if you use private vs. public because saying the public school budget is $800 plus billion means little comparing it to a private business that operates on a for profit atmosphere.  And because the schools receive public funding from states and federal, the states and federal government have more say over whether they should be closed or not. 

Another analogy is KBO starting to ramp up for its season while Korean schools are closed.  Nippon league trying to start with Japanese schools still closed.  MLB trying to look at ways to start with schools still closed.  NBA looking at purchasing 15 minute testing kits for games while schools are closed.  Is it smart, I don't know, my argument was and has always been that schools being closed has no impact or effect on sports leagues resuming play because one is a private industry and the other is generally run by the government (public schools).  But again, what do I know, I'm just living in fantasy land.  

13 minutes ago, joelala said:

There are 10 active spring training stadiums in Phoenix.  Plus Diamondbacks stadium.  There is also Phoenix Municipal Stadium where the A's used to play before moving to Sloan.  Arizona State plays there.  Finally, ASU's old baseball stadium I believe is still usable.  That gives 14 stadiums.  So, perhaps one day game at Diamondbacks Stadium in the closed environment and then 14 night games?  I'm still not sure why they would send East coast teams to Arizona and not Florida.