Owners submit new economic plan to union : UPDATED

Tony-OH

15 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

How people are not getting early prognosis of potentially deadly things because of this? How many things will be missed due to videocon appointment vs real live hand on assessment? The ramifications of this shutdown is going to linger for years. The longer it persists the more very deadly ramifications will continue to show up.

As for baseball, the ramifications of missing an entire season, especially if it comes down to the greed of the owner/players, can have long lasting effects. 

Doctors are treating some patients,  my brother took my mom in yesterday. She could only sit in one chair in the waiting room, and only one person with her was allowed, most people were told to wait in their car, but at her age, they allowed her inside. They are making the patients glove up on entering and of course mask up.

My dentist has been seeing emergencies, if you call him, he comes in and opens up for you, treats you and closing up after.

17 hours ago, atomic said:

You can get bloodwork done.  My wife is getting bloodwork done tomorrow.  

This was my annual physical.  I am not being monitored for any conditions.  I have no complaints or symptoms, and my weight, pulse, and bp measurement are fine.  No indications that made the doctor feel I must have bloodwork now.  Waiting 3-6 months to do the bloodwork seemed reasonable and prudent to my doctor, and I agree.  I hope your wife is well.

10 minutes ago, Number5 said:

This was my annual physical.  I am not being monitored for any conditions.  I have no complaints or symptoms, and my weight, pulse, and bp measurement are fine.  No indications that made the doctor feel I must have bloodwork now.  Waiting 3-6 months to do the bloodwork seemed reasonable and prudent to my doctor, and I agree.  I hope your wife is well.

How did you measure your blood pressure? My wife is fine.  Just routine blood work. 

Just now, atomic said:

How did you measure your blood pressure? My wife is fine.  Just routine blood work. 

My wife has one of those devices that measures bp and pulse.  She has a heart condition and needs to monitor that regularly.

11 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/story/2020-05-18/padres-hedges-optimistic-mlb-season-player-rep

Some encouraging news in here.  Hedges is the Padres MLBPA rep so not a nobody when it comes to this situation.

Like I said both sides have incentive to get something done. I will just be really angry if summer camps are not allowed to open but they are playing baseball at Camden Yards. 

15 minutes ago, Number5 said:

My wife has one of those devices that measures bp and pulse.  She has a heart condition and needs to monitor that regularly.

BP and pulse devices that go on the wrist these days are affordable and I advocate every family should have one, regardless if anybody in their family has any conditions. 

18 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

How people are not getting early prognosis of potentially deadly things because of this? How many things will be missed due to videocon appointment vs real live hand on assessment? The ramifications of this shutdown is going to linger for years. The longer it persists the more very deadly ramifications will continue to show up.

As for baseball, the ramifications of missing an entire season, especially if it comes down to the greed of the owner/players, can have long lasting effects. 

I don't think it will be as devastating as you and some others have said. But baseball will definitely take a hit. And has also been said earlier in this thread, in '94/'95 after the strike it took Cal's 2131 to really bring the game back full force. I have no idea what event now might bring baseball back to it's former glory.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I sure wish Clueless Bud were still commissioner.

CluelessBud.jpg

Nice article by Melewski on MASN today

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2020/05/some-of-the-reasons-to-play-a-season.html

We don’t need baseball like we need pharmacies and grocery stores and doctors, but we need baseball for other less important - but still important - reasons. Baseball has been there during very difficult times before and can be again.

The players and owners need to make the dollars work. If they cross every hurdle but that one and don’t have a season, some fans will never forgive them. Maybe many fans. I am still frustrated that their negotiation in March didn’t resolve all of this. How could they not have accounted for games without fans and how it would impact the sport? I consider that a big oversight by both owners and players. Not good.

If we get baseball back, we are just going to have to get used to the way the game looks during a global pandemic. If still could be great.

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

I don't think it will be as devastating as you and some others have said. But baseball will definitely take a hit. And has also been said earlier in this thread, in '94/'95 after the strike it took Cal's 2131 to really bring the game back full force. I have no idea what event now might bring baseball back to it's former glory.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I sure wish Clueless Bud were still commissioner.

CluelessBud.jpg

You have to remember, that's a whole generation ago. 25 years is a long time and I think this latest generation of kids is not into baseball as much as that generation. 

Baseball's interest level has been dropping across America and in a time when they could be a hero, if they choose to fight over money and there is no season, I think it's going to be a major black eye.

I've been an active major league baseball fan for probably 45 years and run a site dedicated to a team, but even I will have a hard time getting over this if the season does not happen because of greed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

You have to remember, that's a whole generation ago. 25 years is a long time and I think this latest generation of kids is not into baseball as much as that generation. 

Baseball's interest level has been dropping across America and in a time when they could be a hero, if they choose to fight over money and there is no season, I think it's going to be a major black eye.

I've been an active major league baseball fan for probably 45 years and run a site dedicated to a team, but even I will have a hard time getting over this if the season does not happen because of greed.

I have a comic strip I carry around that says, "Every year, just when I start to think life is totally meaningless, baseball starts again."

Man, that is tenfold right now due to all this Covid stuff.  If there is no season due strictly to money, it will be tough to get me to accept that and forgive.  It pains me to not have baseball every night to watch, but now, my wife and I sit on the porch with a drink and listen to the frogs and birds and backyard animals.  We watch the sun go down and just enjoy each other's company.  

When golf returns, that will be my sports activity on Thursday through Sunday.  Football will come again in the Fall, I have zero doubts about that.  Baseball could destroy itself in this Summer of 2020.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dipper9 said:

I have a comic strip I carry around that says, "Every year, just when I start to think life is totally meaningless, baseball starts again."

Man, that is tenfold right now due to all this Covid stuff.  If there is no season due strictly to money, it will be tough to get me to accept that and forgive.  It pains me to not have baseball every night to watch, but now, my wife and I sit on the porch with a drink and listen to the frogs and birds and backyard animals.  We watch the sun go down and just enjoy each other's company.  

When golf returns, that will be my sports activity on Thursday through Sunday.  Football will come again in the Fall, I have zero doubts about that.  Baseball could destroy itself in this Summer of 2020.  

You illustrated part of my point. When and if a summer goes by with no baseball, people will have a whole year to discover that maybe they didn't miss it as much as they thought. People will have found new ways to pass their time and some may find it's better without daily baseball.

Now if the die hards like ourselves, could feel a lost season over greed is a last nail, imagine what it will be like for the casual fan or even worse, the next generation of potential die hards.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

This is an unprecedented situation, so I think the public will be willing to give a lot of slack to sports leagues that don't play. Ultimately I think it comes down to PR. Taking whether he is right or wrong completely out of the conversation - you're not going to win over the public with Blake Snell type comments.

Here's an undergrad thesis on exactly what you're talking about. I wouldn't take this as gospel, but the writer brings up points that you discuss. If you look at numbers from 1994 to 1995, there is a noticeable shift in baseball's popularity:

https://kb.osu.edu/bitstream/handle/1811/48847/1/The_Effect_of_Strikes_and_Lockouts_on_the_Strength_of_Professional_Sports_Leagues.pdf

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, weams said:

Both sides seem to be trying to wage a public relations battle. I don't really care.  It is in both their self interests to solve the impasse.  They need to work things out among themselves.