Is Manfred’s job in jeopardy?

HowAboutThat

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

They had plenty of sport reporters, they worked for things called newspapers that were a popular means of receiving the news.

Geeze

You really want to argue this.

There are a ton more reporters in the business.

Back in Miller's ERA, you did not have YAHOO SPORTS, FOX SPORTS, ESPN, MASN, Bleacher Reports, OH, etc.

Not to mention the independents, that started out in Paper or the Radio and branched out on their own.

You have tweeter and facebook, to instantaneous reach out and spread your point.

Back then, it took people time, to dial up the phone and one on one, talk to people. If you could find them.

10 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Miller didnt have to operate in the day and age of the internet and social media, not to mention an abundance of sport reporters.

On 6/21/2020 at 7:56 PM, Philip said:

Clark is contributing to the impasse. The CBA expires in a year. Now is not the time to be contentious. Now is the time to curry public favor, Create the idea of the owners as the bad guys, avoid letting the players come off as selfish and greedy( Which is certainly not happening)  and lay the groundwork for a future negotiation that will favor the players’ interests.

Right now the perception( and I think it is accurate) is that both MLB players and owners care nothing about the minor league prospects, the fans, the game, or anything else except money.

The owners have certainly avoided creating any kind of goodwill feeling towards them.

The players had a tremendous opportunity and they have completely destroyed it.

I agree, and I have said, that Clark has been ineffective in explaining to the public what the owners' strategy has been. I'm not sure how much that matters, and there's time to fix it. I have no idea whether getting into all that would help or hurt the chances of a CBA getting done without further disruption to the sport.

But I don't think "Clark is contributing to the impasse," or not very much anyway. My point is that, no matter what the union leadership did or how brilliant or skilled the union leadership was this year, I doubt we would have had any baseball. The only question mark is whether the owners would have agreed to a 40-or-so-game regular season, with expanded playoffs from which the players would get a little bit more than the floor amounts in the CBA. 

My best guess now is that even a short season wasn't going to happen. Somewhere, probably just in Manfred's head, there is a list of tactics and demands for use in avoiding reaching an agreement on the 2020 season, and he's probably only a little way down that list. Here's an example. It's pretty common knowledge that one way to sabotage, or at least stall, a negotiation is to tell (or plant for others to tell) a lie about what the other side said or did, especially if the negotiation and the subject of the lie are things in which the public is interested. I believe that's what Manfred did last week when he arranged for the media to announce that he and Clark had reached a deal, the elements of which were never announced and, so far as I can tell, were not written down anywhere. A lie about an important matter like that sometimes will cause the other party to give up the negotiation, and at the very least will put things off while the lie gets sorted out and the other side cools off a bit.

I think the only serious criticism you can make about Clark's role is that he shouldn't have agreed to cap the players' salary demands in the March agreement when he was dealing with a sleazeball like Manfred, who would use that concession to kill (or truncate) the regular season, not to save it. In hindsight, that installed in the driver's seat a guy with no scruples or honesty who knew exactly where he wanted to take the car but never told anyone the truth about his destination, and the chances for a 2020 season were pretty much dead at that point. But I'm reluctant to criticize Clark for that when I haven't even seen (and don't expect ever to see) that March agreement, much less understand the circumstances that led to it.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

My own opinion.

The commish, needs to forget he is the puppet of the owners, and see if he cant push through a compromised deal.

The players do not appear to want to compromise and they want everything they can get.

The owners do not appear to be willing to compromise.

So you have 2 sides apart and neither seams to give a squat about the fans and the good of the game.

• Upvote 1

With what he did to clark in the last CBA negotiations they owe him big.  And right now he is staying steadfast to their desire and getting it.  33% of them dont want a season at all and the rest are okay with something between that and 50 games.

If the players dont show up because they dont want to imperil their own health or font want to live in a bubble away from their families the owners will spin it.  They also know people will be salivating for baseball next year.

Hes not at risk, but he is killing the game because he doing the will of the owners.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

My own opinion.

The commish, needs to forget he is the puppet of the owners, and see if he cant push through a compromised deal.

The players do not appear to want to compromise and they want everything they can get.

The owners do not appear to be willing to compromise.

So you have 2 sides apart and neither seams to give a squat about the fans and the good of the game.

The reason Manfred has the job is solely to be the puppet of the owners. Just like Selig was. Except he was really one of the owners, hiding behind his daughter-in-law.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, survivedc said:

I sure hope both Clark and Manfred are gone by CBA time. No clue what their contract status’s are but they will bring such bad blood into an already difficult process.

Showalter for commissioner anyone?

WTOP in Dec was calling for Manfred to be gone and that was before the covid crisis and the 2020 season problems.

https://wtop.com/sports-columns/2019/12/column-its-time-to-remove-mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-from-office/

Back in 2014, Joe Torre was open to being the commish, and has been in MLB front office for awhile now.

Not sure how good a job he would do, but almost anything should be better than what is in their now. Yes, I know the cliche, change for change sake, doesnt always make things better.

5 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

WTOP in Dec was calling for Manfred to be gone and that was before the covid crisis and the 2020 season problems.

https://wtop.com/sports-columns/2019/12/column-its-time-to-remove-mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-from-office/

Back in 2014, Joe Torre was open to being the commish, and has been in MLB front office for awhile now.

Not sure how good a job he would do, but almost anything should be better than what is in their now. Yes, I know the cliche, change for change sake, doesnt always make things better.

My understanding is that Torre has been taking on less work, I think he’s about 80 now. Wish they would’ve chosen him instead of Manfred in the first place.

37 minutes ago, survivedc said:

My understanding is that Torre has been taking on less work, I think he’s about 80 now. Wish they would’ve chosen him instead of Manfred in the first place.

Geeze, yeah, you are right. Good point.

Anybody the owners approve to be their puppet, will be their puppet, so it probably doesnt matter too much, if they keep Manfred or replace him.

13 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Geeze, yeah, you are right. Good point.

Anybody the owners approve to be their puppet, will be their puppet, so it probably doesnt matter too much, if they keep Manfred or replace him.

The hate for Manfred is so overblown. He’s doing his job. That’s all. Dude isn’t there to do anything but HIS job.

5 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

The hate for Manfred is so overblown. He’s doing his job. That’s all. Dude isn’t there to do anything but HIS job.

I dont hate the man. I dont think he has done the job well.

There are numerous articles detaining why folks think he is the worst MLB commish in the history of the game.

You can dislike somebody's activity or lack of activity without hating the man.

5 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

I think than Manfred is a catch-all for everyone's dissatisfaction with Major League Baseball.  Some want him to be the benevolent and independent overseer of the sport of Baseball.  He's not anything like that.  He's the owner-appointed head of the Major League Baseball corporation.  There is no one person or organization looking out for the sport of baseball.  Manfred is paid to represent the interests of the owners of MLB.

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I dont hate the man. I dont think he has done the job well.

There are numerous articles detaining why folks think he is the worst MLB commish in the history of the game.

You can dislike somebody's activity or lack of activity without hating the man.

I bet you could find at least one or two articles detailing why each and every commish was the worst in the history of the game.

On 6/22/2020 at 11:25 PM, survivedc said:

I sure hope both Clark and Manfred are gone by CBA time. No clue what their contract status’s are but they will bring such bad blood into an already difficult process.

Showalter for commissioner anyone?

Manfred is obsessed with time of the game, Buck was obsessed with time to the plate.