Who will be the "pleasant surprise" for the O's in 2020?

TommyPickles

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

I feel like Hunter Harvey could Olson, but some of that is I just want the scenario of he throws 30 dominant innings while hitters are rusty, wins Rookie of the Year, and is still 2021 Rookie of the Year eligible by dint of remaining under 50 career IP.  

Lights out relievers don't have so much to do to get into form.

Means gave quotes about his cup of coffee helping him a couple offseasons ago, and COVID has muddled my Rutschman May 1, 2021 give or take a couple weeks certainty.  Without the minor league seasons, and with the taxi squads, I actually feel the chance of Hall/Rodriguez/Baumann/Rutschman having a sip is substantially up this September.

Clubs will have plenty of political cover for parceling out enough development time once the minor leagues (hopefully) return in 2021 to do what they need to do.

Can you win ROY twice? I'm assuming it's never been done...

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

fewer than 45 days on the active rosters of major league clubs (excluding time on the disabled list or any time after rosters are expanded on September 1) in their previous seasons

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

fewer than 45 days on the active rosters of major league clubs (excluding time on the disabled list or any time after rosters are expanded on September 1) in their previous seasons

I could see him sneaking in and winning it this year. But he'd have to have a MONSTER year next year! Like 50 Saves monster.

6 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I think it's possible but hasn't been done.  But since it's voted on, it seems to me that voters might have a logical aversion to giving it to a guy a 2nd time.  So the second season would have to be overwhelmingly good.

A Google search shows that 2 guys have made the NHL's All Rookie Team in two different years.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SteveA said:

I think it's possible but hasn't been done.  But since it's voted on, it seems to me that voters might have a logical aversion to giving it to a guy a 2nd time.  So the second season would have to be overwhelmingly good.

A Google search shows that 2 guys have made the NHL's All Rookie Team in two different years.

That's what I was thinking. Would have to be an overwhelming year.

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

I agree with this.  I think he's our uniquely grayest area player in terms of is he, or is he not someone you'd project into the first string of the Rutschman supporting cast.  The Rule V thing is a multi-year developmental disruption, and he did enough last year I'm legitimately interested to see the next couple months of PA's.  

I hope Hyde writes him in 2nd.

48 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Perhaps not in time, but for July/August I can't think of anyone else I want to have the 4th or 5th PA daily more - reps are precious.

Is there any reason the Orioles are not using the entire 60 games as development?  Moves like this would be fine with me.  Not him per se batting second.  But I would totally be on board if Hyde says...Im batting ________ second today so he gets 5 abs.

I’m going to assume “pleasant surprise” means something along the lines of “unexpected surprise” so that counts out Hays and Harvey for me. My choice will be DJ Stewart since it seems he has lost the confidence of most people I talk baseball with. I think he could be sneaky productive with a high OBP and a little power. If I remember correctly (not guaranteed) he is also quicker than you’d expect so maybe he can turn some long singles into doubles and steal a few bases while he’s young. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Is there any reason the Orioles are not using the entire 60 games as development?  Moves like this would be fine with me.  Not him per se batting second.  But I would totally be on board if Hyde says...Im batting ________ second today so he gets 5 abs.

Richie Martin (till he craps the bed like Sisco...) I still have high hopes for him.Especially if he can hang around Iggy "all year."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Here is the lineup I have been playing with:

1. Alberto 2B (R)
  2. Stewart LF  (L)
  3. Hays CF (R)
  4. Davis 1B (L)
  5. Nunez DH (R)
  6. Santander RF (S)
  7. Severino C (R)
  8. Ruiz 3B   (L)
  9. Iglesias SS (R)

I think this looks good, only Davis may have to be dropped down.  Not that it really matters for playoffs or anything, but this lineup is sure going to miss Mancini's 35 homer/.899 OPS numbers from last season 

48 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I think this looks good, only Davis may have to be dropped down.  Not that it really matters for playoffs or anything, but this lineup is sure going to miss Mancini's 35 homer/.899 OPS numbers from last season 

In spite of those numbers, it didnt help the team too much.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

I'm a little surprised the NHL still calls them rookies.  Aren't there a fair number of Europeans who come over to the NHL after playing professionally there?  It's a little like soccer, where you could play 14 years in Germany, make tens of millions and be a worldwide star, then be a rookie by MLB definitions in the Premier League or MLS or something.  That's why they have awards for the best young players instead of rookies.  And, yes, at least in England several players have been young player of the year more than once.

5 hours ago, oriole said:

I’m going to assume “pleasant surprise” means something along the lines of “unexpected surprise” so that counts out Hays and Harvey for me. My choice will be DJ Stewart since it seems he has lost the confidence of most people I talk baseball with. I think he could be sneaky productive with a high OBP and a little power. If I remember correctly (not guaranteed) he is also quicker than you’d expect so maybe he can turn some long singles into doubles and steal a few bases while he’s young. 

Sneaky choice, I like it! I agree, I don't exactly expect breakouts from Hays and Harvey, but I would certainly be disappointed if they are bad. I would like to say that Sisco could fit the Stewart category but I think Stewart is much, much more likely to succeed.

Another doghouse guy that was looking really good in the spring is Cody Carroll. Minors resume is too good for his brief MLB numbers to be representative. He could take a leap this year (if he even makes the team).