Who will be the "pleasant surprise" for the O's in 2020?

TommyPickles

Who do you think will outperform expectations the most for the Orioles in 2020 and why?

I think for 2019, this honor would have to go to John Means.  

He had a negative career WAR coming into the season and ended up racking up 5.0 rWAR, an All Star nod, and over 150 IP to the tune of a 3.60 ERA.

Honorable mention to Hanser Alberto. He also started the season with a negative career WAR.  He hit .305, earned a 2.9 rWAR, and had some ridiculous hot streaks.

So, who's your John Means or Hanser Alberto of 2020?

I feel like Hunter Harvey could Olson, but some of that is I just want the scenario of he throws 30 dominant innings while hitters are rusty, wins Rookie of the Year, and is still 2021 Rookie of the Year eligible by dint of remaining under 50 career IP.  

Lights out relievers don't have so much to do to get into form.

Means gave quotes about his cup of coffee helping him a couple offseasons ago, and COVID has muddled my Rutschman May 1, 2021 give or take a couple weeks certainty.  Without the minor league seasons, and with the taxi squads, I actually feel the chance of Hall/Rodriguez/Baumann/Rutschman having a sip is substantially up this September.

Clubs will have plenty of political cover for parceling out enough development time once the minor leagues (hopefully) return in 2021 to do what they need to do.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'm not down on Santander like some are.  I see him as a 25 year old developing player.

I agree with this.  I think he's our uniquely grayest area player in terms of is he, or is he not someone you'd project into the first string of the Rutschman supporting cast.  The Rule V thing is a multi-year developmental disruption, and he did enough last year I'm legitimately interested to see the next couple months of PA's.  

I hope Hyde writes him in 2nd.

6 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I agree with this.  I think he's our uniquely grayest area player in terms of is he, or is he not someone you'd project into the first string of the Rutschman supporting cast.  The Rule V thing is a multi-year developmental disruption, and he did enough last year I'm legitimately interested to see the next couple months of PA's.  

I hope Hyde writes him in 2nd.

I don't see Santander having the OBP to hit 2nd.   Maybe 6th is a good spot for that power.

Maybe Ruiz or Martin take a notable step forward?

In the OF, I expect one of Stewart or Santander to make some noise and keep himself in the mix in 2021 while the other fails spectacularly. I'm not sure which...and don't really have any concrete reason for believing this.

On the mound, could we see someone like Hess or Tate turn things around a put up some quality relief innings to get themselves back on the radar?