Richie Martin out with a broken wrist (Update: Surgery, Out for Season)

wildcard

11 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Yet another player injured with a hand first dive into a bag

When are these supposed analytics driven organization going to ban their players from hands first dives?

You can have all the rules you want, not sure how it stops the player from doing it in the moment.

6 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Does Richie definitely accrue a year of service time? Not sure it was likely, but there was a chance he would have been optioned to play at AAA this year if everything had gone normally.

Normally players placed on the major league injured list accrue service time. I don't know if there even is a minor league injured list this year but I assume one would have to be optioned to go on any minor league list and generally you can't option someone who is injured and has accrued service time in the last season. I'm not sure how options are going to work so all of this might be different this year. 

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Hyde is extension of front office and it’s analytics based decisions.  In-game maneuvers (BP matchups, pinch hitters, steals, baserunning sends) and daily lineups are evaluated every day and are reflection of probabilities/decision science informed by analytics dept.  If Hyde acted independently or went counter to those influences he would not be here.  The manager hunch or expertise is legacy artifact in todays game (at least for the Orioles). Now ongoing player development (or shortfalls) is where the other coaches/assts come into play both at major and minor league level.  These guys are also selected by the front office and I would expect some potential changes here that would be healthy as a result of Elias & team year-end review. 
    • Why not? And does he need 15 lbs or maybe only 5-7? Guys are adding velo all over baseball right now. If anything adding velo is probably the easiest thing for him to do in the off season. Jeez, I'd happily introduce him to friends at Driveline or TredAthletics tomorrow if he reaches out to me. 😃
    • https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2024/10/01/camden-yards-renovations-orioles-finance-first.html
    • 1.  Sign veteran bat(s). Preferably RH, 1b, 3b or corner.  Goldschmidt, Bregman .. but likely serious overpays needed.  Not opposing to it being Santander  2. Money 3. No more than 5 years  4. Pitching, pitching, pitching.  A top prospect like Basallo needs to return even better than Eflin with more club control. Crochet is the high end and anyone can go for him.    5. A top 10 budget if needed to address key additions.  Somewhere between 150 - 200 mil.    6. None— i think the emphasis needs to be on pitch selection and recognition .    7. Gunnar, but unlikely.. Adley.. Grayson  8. Reup McCann until Basallo ready.  9. Yes .. blue chip needed this y 10.  None of the ones you mention.   
    • I agree here that the spectacular failure should be cause for a hard look in the mirror. It couldn’t be explained away or deflected from. And that may help us in the long term.
    • They can use a Ryan to backfill Christian Walker.    I think Suarez and Pederson were both so great helping them score near 900 runs they stay. I'm enthusiastic once again about Montgomery after the owner's sharp comments.    IRL that is a heavy lift for a GM to put a band-aid on the Club-Player relationship.     It hit me like kind of a Hail Mary to try and shun a guy coming off a bad season who has a high dollar 1-year player option.    I think Montgomery is still good at baseball, and that he had understandable hangover from heroic 2023 work amplified by the Boras awkwardness last winter. The odd circumstance makes Montgomery a SP on a 1-year contract who is much better than the typical caliber of pitcher on that term.    If that doesn't scream Mike Elias priority for the 2025 Orioles, I don't know what does.     An early look at the 2026 UFA SP on Spotrac - no 2025 stars on their walk year like '24 Burnes. https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/_/year/2026/position/sp/type/ufa/sort/contract_value Elias my guess is will put in an offer that somebody like Brendan Fournie calculates has a low chance of acceptance, and Roch will write about the Orioles making their biggest contract offer in history after Burnes signs for much more with someone else.
    • I really appreciate what Burnes did this year. But forgive me, unless pitching to contact is back in vogue, he doesn’t miss bats nearly as well as he used to. And front offices seem to pay attention to such things. For me, I think the contact he induces is valuable. But it seems like he’s lost a little bit of the feel for the hook, which was his put away pitch. That should ding his value a bit and would limit the amount I would spend on him. 
  • Popular Contributors