Braves DFA Foltynewicz

Sports Guy

11 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Man shaved beard. 

“wonder if he is on drugs” the internet.

The "lost a ton of weight" part of the assessment is accurate.  You can see it in his build and musculature between these two pictures, not just in his face.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Whoa, does he have a history of that to support that level of presumption?

I didn’t intend to be presumptive (presumptuous? I always get those confused).  I’m just saying that I hope it’s not the case because I’ve seen it speculated elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, ArtVanDelay said:

He’s lost a ton of weight since last season.

Makes me wonder why ATL was so quick to DFA him.  Hopefully not a substance abuse issue.

Tons of lost weight and velocity is down 5 MPH. There is certainly something going on here that the Orioles should probably steer well clear of. I won't be presumptive to know the cause, but those signs together don't bode well for him.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

The O's have guys like Eshelman and Valdez that get under 600K for a full season.  Prorated that is 200K for 2020.   I don't see the O's spend 10 times that much for Folty

Why would you even mention those players?  They are nothing.  They have no upside and aren’t MLers.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why would you even mention those players?  They are nothing.  They have no upside and aren’t MLers.

The O's are revenue limited this season with no fans in the stands.   I just don't see them spending 2M on Folty.   If they need another pitching in the majors Eshelman and Valdez may be the next pitchers up.  And they cost about 200K each for the rest of the season.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

The O's are revenue limited this season with no fans in the stands.   I just don't see them spending 2M on Folty.   If they need another pitching in the majors Eshelman and Valdez may be the next pitchers up.  And they cost about 200K each for the rest of the season.

First of all, the Os revenue is fine...people buying that line are being very naive.

Secondly, sure they could decide they don’t want to pay him..but acting like the pitchers you mentioned are a reason not to is hilarious.  They don’t belong on a ML roster.

• Upvote 1

There's likely something afoot, but just in stuff terms and fantasy podcast bubbles, Foltynewicz was occasionally mentioned in the "what mediocre guy could become Max Scherzer some year" vein that makes up so much of those.

I wonder if any of what is afoot was emotion over this, combined with the org having so many good young arms bubbling up.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ATL/ATL201910090.shtml

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all, the Os revenue is fine...people buying that line are being very naive.

Secondly, sure they could decide they don’t want to pay him..but acting like the pitchers you mentioned are a reason not to is hilarious.  They don’t belong on a ML roster.

Welcome to the rebuild.   The O's will have pitchers in the majors that are not major league quality pitchers until they grow major league pitchers and give them time to get experience in the majors.   But, of course, you know that.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Welcome to the rebuild.   The O's will have pitchers in the majors that are not major league quality pitchers until they grow major league pitchers and give them time to get experience in the majors.   But, of course, you know that.

SG is right, Folty would be a good get for us, low risk, high upside.  More upside than the names you mentioned.  

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

SG is right, Folty would be a good get for us, low risk, high upside.  More upside than the names you mentioned.  

Maybe  Better upside if he gets straightened out.    But I still don't hear any reason to think the O's will spend 2M on him.    This will all play out in the next few days and we will see  whether  the O's spend or not.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Maybe  Better upside if he gets straightened out.    But I still don't hear any reason to think the O's will spend 2M on him.    This will all play out in the next few days and we will see  whether  the O's spend or not.

I doubt they will but I wouldn't mind if they did.  But I'd rather them spend 2 million on a guy like Folty rather than having a revolving door of guys at 600k.