Hyde trys to find some pitchers he can trust

wildcard

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Makes a huge difference to me.  The O's trading him has nothing to do with who he plays for now. 

It’s not that the O’s traded him.  It’s that we are talking about finding guys just like him (homegrown reliable pitchers).  Yet we gave this one away to a hated division rival for nothing while we still have the endless discussion of “but maybe the answer is hidden in Bowie”.

1 minute ago, fitzi22 said:

It’s not that the O’s traded him.  It’s that we are talking about finding guys just like him (homegrown reliable pitchers).  Yet we gave this one away to a hated division rival for nothing while we still have the endless discussion of “but maybe the answer is hidden in Bowie”.

How much are you supposed to get in return for 25 innings of a guy who hadn't really been healthy in two years?

5 minutes ago, fitzi22 said:

Yea, for a month or so.

Big whoop.

10 minutes ago, fitzi22 said:

That’s why you resign him at a savings instead of trading on the low

Ah, here's where your misconceptions stem from.

"Resigning him at a savings" wasn't a thing.  You do realize that he got almost $40 million from the Yankees for three seasons, right?

Ah 

1 minute ago, Morgan423 said:

Ah, here's where your misconceptions stem from.

"Resigning him at a savings" wasn't a thing.  You do realize that he got almost $40 million from the Yankees for three seasons, right?

Ah of course I do.  And we would have one less reason to complain about our poor pitching while still being able to trade him for something more than the non usable players we got from NY.  He is worth more than NY is paying him right now so yes it would have been a savings with a potential of a much better trade return.

3 minutes ago, fitzi22 said:

Ah 

Ah of course I do.  And we would have one less reason to complain about our poor pitching while still being able to trade him for something more than the non usable players we got from NY.  He is worth more than NY is paying him right now so yes it would have been a savings with a potential of a much better trade return.

Forty million for a closer on a last place team is very foolish. 

The fact of matter is there isn’t a lot of pitching talent on the team this year and there probably won’t be much next year either. The O’s have given away far more pitching talent than we have ever acquired via trade or free agency.  It has always been and will continue to be very frustrating to me to watch guys that we had in our system punish us for years while we fail to effectively replace them.

Edited by fitzi22

7 minutes ago, weams said:

Forty million for a closer on a last place team is very foolish. 

It would be filling a hole with a high quality player that you all incessantly complain about while reserving the right to trade him in the future on the high for some real prospects. Sounds like a win for me.  Unless you guys like to complain and find ways for the O’s to save $$$$ for nothing.

15 minutes ago, fitzi22 said:

The fact of matter is there isn’t a lot of pitching talent on the team this year and there probably won’t be much next year either. The O’s have given away far more pitching talent than we have ever acquired via trade or free agency.  It has always been and will continue to be very frustrating to me to watch guys that we had in our system punish us for years while we fail to effectively replace them.

This actually isn’t true. 

There is a lot of talent(some of it is hurt)..and a lot of it should be up here right now.

Now, whether or not that talent develops is a different story.

2 minutes ago, fitzi22 said:

It would be filling a hole with a high quality player that you all incessantly complain about while reserving the right to trade him in the future on the high for some real prospects. Sounds like a win for me.  Unless you guys like to complain and find ways for the O’s to save $$$$ for nothing.

Why would you think that other teams would be willing to trade "real prospects" for a guy making market value?  Or do you think he would have cut the O's a deal?  I've seen no evidence to support that theory.