Hyde trys to find some pitchers he can trust

wildcard

Last season there was only one pitcher that Hyde could trust throughout the season - John Means.   Cashner was good until he was traded and Harvey gave a short flash at the end of the season but Means was really the guy that earned Hyde's trust.

So Hyde is in the process of trial and error to begin the season to see if he can find more pitchers he can rely on.   In addition to Means, Cobb's first outing was encouraging.  We will see tonight against his former team if he can put two good starts together in a row.  Leblanc also had a promising outing if we realize that he had no control over how Castro pitched after the starter left.   I am sure Hyde knows that.  Passed that Wojo appears to be a 5.00 plus ERA guy. Milone looked like a 2 inning reliever in his opening day start and Stewart probably gets his first chance to start in Sunday.  Its early and its will take a while for others to join Means as trusted starters or prove that Bowie may hold replacements.

Two things in the pen that Hyde is looking for but has not found are: 1) a closer and 2) someone to come in with men on base and put out the fire.   Hyde hoped he had found a closer in Sulser after his two scoreless in Boston.  But last night loss probably keeps Hyde looking.    Maybe Armstrong  is next.   The hope is that Harvey gets well and takes the job.  But its just a hope.   Givens had tried closing last year and was only successful in 11 of 19 opportunities.  Hyde does not appear to be leaning on Givens to close at the moment. 

Hyde positioned Castro and his new found mechanics  as his fire fighter.  First try it worked as he punched out Bogaerts to end an inning.  But his second time in a similar situation Bogaerts won the battle.   Hyde next move was to give Castro a clean inning and that was successful but showed Hyde thought it wiser to not put Castro back in a men on base position .....at least just yet.   Hyde will continue is search for a fire fighter.

So far Bleier looks like his old dependable self.  Armstrong had a good 2 inning outing.  Givens has been good when not in a high pressure situations and Tanner Scott had a good outing.   Look for all four to get a lot of work.   Also Castro to begin innings.   Larkins  and Sulser who have had good and bad outings will get more tries.   Maybe Milone  in two inning stints for a while.   Thats eight for now. The others on an 11 man reliever staff will fill in.

Hyde is looking for a few good men he can trust.   Trial and errors will show who raises to the top and become mainstays.

Quality means consistency.scott is sometimes great, others not. Sulser was great, then not-great. Lakin was not-great, then great.

meh.”this is who we have.”

I like using the best guy in high leverage situations, so I have no problem with the choices last night. Just didn’t work out..

I had high hopes for Sulser. But he couldn’t throw a strike to save his life last night and if that’s something that happens with him every once in a while then he isn’t closer material. You gotta be able to depend on a closer to throw strikes.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe Cobb would be willing to extend?

Perhaps.  I dunno, I don't think we could get anything of significance back in a trade for him but I also don't know if Elias would just let him walk in free agency. 

Anyway, my point is that Hyde can look high and low, far and wide for guys that he can "trust" but he's going to come up empty.  It's a fools errand on this team.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Perhaps.  I dunno, I don't think we could get anything of significance back in a trade for him but I also don't know if Elias would just let him walk in free agency. 

Anyway, my point is that Hyde can look high and low, far and wide for guys that he can "trust" but he's going to come up empty.  It's a fools errand on this team.

Of course the O's could promote some guys that might have a future with the team.  But Elias doesn't seem willing to do that. 

10 minutes ago, fitzi22 said:

It would be nice if we could develop a good left hander with a world class sinker we could insert in high leverage situations at the end of games. Oh wait that guy was traded for nothing and pitched against us yesterday ?

That guy was a free agent and the O's could have signed him.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Quality means consistency.scott is sometimes great, others not. Sulser was great, then not-great. Lakin was not-great, then great.

meh.”this is who we have.”

I like using the best guy in high leverage situations, so I have no problem with the choices last night. Just didn’t work out..

Nobody is going to be “Great” or even good every time. Even the best closers blow saves IMO. I’d give Sulser the opportunity to bounce back. All these guys need a chance to get on track in an odd season where we are expecting little. 

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That guy was a free agent and the O's could have signed him.

Doesn’t hurt any less when we are talking how bad and unreliable our current staff is while he beats us up again as a member of the MFNYY.