Could Elias Keep Mountcastle Down All Year?

brvn52

After reading Connelly’s column today, it sounds like there’s no timetable for a Mountcastle debut. Personally, I don’t think Mountcastle is a big enough prospect to play service time games with. However, could Elias think it’s worth keeping Mountcastle down for the final 50-55 games of 2020 and the first few weeks of 2021? In theory, waiting about 75 games (in 2020-21) would buy 162 games of service time (in 2027). 

4 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

After reading Connelly’s column today, it sounds like there’s no timetable for a Mountcastle debut. Personally, I don’t think Mountcastle is a big enough prospect to play service time games with. However, could Elias think it’s worth keeping Mountcastle down for the final 50-55 games of 2020 and the first few weeks of 2021? In theory, waiting about 75 games (in 2020-21) would buy 162 games of service time (in 2027). 

I know I'd love to pay arb 4 prices for a 30 year old right handed LF/1B/DH.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know I'd love to pay arb 4 prices for a 30 year old right handed LF/1B/DH.

You have the option. If he doesn’t progress you can non-tender him. In theory, waiting 75 games gives you the option. 

2 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I think it's more likely Elias is seeing whether MLB can get the covid situation under control. 

No reason to call up Mountcastle and burn a year of service time for a season that gets cancelled. 

That’s a good call. I hadn’t thought of that angle. 

1 minute ago, brvn52 said:

You have the option. If he doesn’t progress you can non-tender him. In theory, waiting 75 games gives you the option. 

He'll be a 30 year old right handed bat first guy.

So very few of them are valuable that it isn't worth playing games for.

Call the kid up, let him get a decent paycheck and health insurance.  Maybe get a chance at a decent FA deal down the road.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Call the kid up, let him get a decent paycheck and health insurance.  Maybe get a chance at a decent FA deal down the road.

I agree that I don’t think it’s worth playing service time games. My question was if Elias could be considering holding him out another 75 games. 

2 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

I agree that I don’t think it’s worth playing service time games. My question was if Elias could be considering holding him out another 75 games. 

I think the potential reward for holding him back as long as he has is very small.  I think if you push that back another year it's laughably small and it won't be Elias that gets to reap the reward.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the potential reward for holding him back as long as he has is very small.  I think if you push that back another year it's laughably small and it won't be Elias that gets to reap the reward.

Fair enough. I hear you. What do you think Elias’ reason for continuing to keep Mountcastle down is?

Our outfield is so bad right now that I think Mountcastle would almost certainly help. DJ Stewart shouldn't get too much more time to make adjustments, and even with Mountcastle it isn't like Santander/Hays/Mountcastle are a sure (or even decent) bet to be anything more than average. He's not some can't miss prospect either, so I don't know why we aren't calling him up to see what he can do. 

1 minute ago, brvn52 said:

Fair enough. I hear you. What do you think Elias’ reason for continuing to keep Mountcastle down is?

Could be Covid concerns.  Maybe it's a behavior issue?  (PURE SPECULATION)

I do think Elias tries to play for margins that just aren't worth the trouble.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Could be Covid concerns.  Maybe it's a behavior issue?  (PURE SPECULATION)

I do think Elias tries to play for margins that just aren't worth the trouble.

Gotcha. I trust Elias. And I want to see Mountcastle. Hopefully we get to see him sooner than later. 

47 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

MAybe he'll be that special 30 year old bat. That keeps hitting until he is 43.