This team is fun to watch!

Explosivo

13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think everyone here who's old enough to remember 1989 (I do, barely) wants another 1989 all over again.  A team that played over its head, got lucky, played great defense and was in it until the final weekend.

@DrungoHazewoodcan sum up that team better than I can, he's done a masterful job before.

I was a senior in high school in 89 and it was definitely a fun season. 

I think the Orioles can hang around until the end with so many playoff slots being available. I just don’t think we have enough starting pitching to get it done. And as I mentioned, I think Cobb, LeBlanc and Milone are likely to be dealt if they are pitching well.

14 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think everyone here who's old enough to remember 1989 (I do, barely) wants another 1989 all over again.  A team that played over its head, got lucky, played great defense and was in it until the final weekend.

@DrungoHazewoodcan sum up that team better than I can, he's done a masterful job before.

It's too early in the morning, but my favorite two teams of all time are '89 and '12.  And yes, I was there for the '83 season when they won it all. 

It's just different when you've been bad, counted out, had no real hope, put together a crazy Bad News Bears team and you take it all the way to the end with a chance.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's too early in the morning, but my favorite two teams of all time are '89 and '12.  And yes, I was there for the '83 season when they won it all. 

It's just different when you've been bad, counted out, had no real hope, put together a crazy Bad News Bears team and you take it all the way to the end with a chance.

In '83 I expected the Orioles to win.  I'd never known anything different at that point.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In '83 I expected the Orioles to win.  I'd never known anything different at that point.

I was 12, and it was a constant refrain that The Oriole Way was the kind of magic system they had in place that let them compete every year despite having a fraction of the Yank's money.  The Orioles built teams that won games, they weren't buying pennants with mercenaries.  As a 12-year-old there's no questioning that, it's just the way it is.  Every program I got at a game had a page about how they hadn't had a losing record since before I was born.

In 1986, after Earl came back, I just assumed they'd go 30-10 down the stretch and win the Series.  That's just what they did, what Earl did.  I think my entire worldview started to change when the opposite happened.  Three years of losing and bottoming out in April of '88, it seemed like they'd gone down a deep, dark hole.  Which, of course, enabled everything that happened in '89.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, milbest77 said:

Can’t wait until September 1 when we’re tied for first and they cancel the season?

But that might be perfect!  We retain a top draft pick, serve notice to the baseball world of our grittiness and move safely into the next frontier! ⚾ 

This team really is a lot of fun to watch. A bunch of young guys just having fun.

Some of the ABs in last night's game were fantastic. I know Hays is struggling if you look at his numbers but I feel like he's on the verge of breaking out.

Love Alberto's approach and Nunez is a tough out for any pitcher.

I'm just enjoying these games and winning is a little extra treat.

• Upvote 1

o

Some would argue that the Orioles ought to be 9-7 overall, and just past the 1/4-mark of this pandemic-shortened season ........ but 8-7 isn't bad either, particularly for a team whom most thought would go somewhere between 15-45 and 22-38.

Orioles Have Sure Packed a Lot into 15 Games

(By Steve Melewski)

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2020/08/orioles-have-sure-packed-a-lot-into-15-games.html

o

On 8/11/2020 at 8:53 AM, Ruzious said:

My head says the worst thing the O's can do this season is go .500.

My heart says, every win is lots of fun.  Fun is good.  How do you complain about getting more wins?    

It's a battle because there is doubt they can maintain over 60.  I think we're all struggling to enjoy the fun if it's not real and just costs then a high pick for the future. 

I've reached a level of expected good play, so my hopes are up.  We'll see....

On 8/11/2020 at 8:15 PM, Enjoy Terror said:

I’m guessing we’ll mutually call the bet off.

Or just both give the other a 6-pack.  If there is no baseball, you'll need other activities to fill your time anyway.