No more argument to play Chris Davis

accinfo

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That is a lot of money to walk away from.  I can also see if hard for a prideful person to admit to themselves that they are an anchor to the team.

Competitive players look at their numbers, and can tell you when they failed to deliver in crucial situations. That also know when they’ve been dropped in the order or their playing time has been cut. I think here we go again has to be running in Chris’ head like a broken record.

5 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

Right now he is hitting like a pitcher that doesn’t hit well though.  At some point that has to hit home, right?

One would think but how many athletes have we seen try and hang on well past the time they should have hanged it up?  Heck Bedard pitched in A ball at 36 and I don't even think he liked baseball.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

That is a lot of money to walk away from.  I can also see if hard for a prideful person to admit to themselves that they are an anchor to the team.

He'd be walking away from 30 or 40 times what an average person makes in a lifetime.  I think part of his personal justification is that he does quite a bit of charitable work and giving.

He probably believes that he can be productive again if he has the right combination of meds and work and focus. 

Have we ever seen a player be this bad in the middle of his career, for several seasons, and bounce back and be good again?

A few years ago, Calhoun has a 652 OPs but has bounced back.  Adam Dunn has a 569 OPS but was able to bounce back with some respectable offensive numbers. 

But Davis has been bad for several years.  Hard to believe there is any hope left for him unless he walks away from the game for a year or 2 and comes back different mentally..but even then, he will be that much older and that many years away from being a productive player.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He'd be walking away from 30 or 40 times what an average person makes in a lifetime.  I think part of his personal justification is that he does quite a bit of charitable work and giving.

He probably believes that he can be productive again if he has the right combination of meds and work and focus. 

This might be true but he's kidding himself.

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

It's really up to the O's to buy him out.  Just include a Covid clause to subject him to the same pro rata reduction that everyone else gets.  If they've tried to do it, and he's refused, then let the fans know.  

Not if he retires

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

It's really up to the O's to buy him out.  Just include a Covid clause to subject him to the same pro rata reduction that everyone else gets.  If they've tried to do it, and he's refused, then let the fans know.  

He'd obviously refuse - and pulling that kind of stunt would be pointless and result in tons of issues with the Union and players. Trying to shame Davis out of money the O's agreed to in a contract is just bad form.

There's a month left of the season. The O's are going to wait until 2021 to see if there's a full season or not before even thinking about cutting him. It's just the way it's gonna be.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

He'd obviously refuse - and pulling that kind of stunt would be pointless and result in tons of issues with the Union and players. Trying to shame Davis out of money the O's agreed to in a contract is just bad form.

It's being transparent and telling the truth.  What they're doing right now is bad form - and I can't imagine anyone is happy with it.  

17 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

It's obvious by now that he's not going to retire with that much money left on the table.  

Really ...These are his own words

“I’d be lying if I told you that wasn’t at least talked about towards the end of the season last year and this offseason,” Davis said. “I know what I’m capable of. I know what I expect of myself and I don’t want to continue to just struggle and be a below-average, well-below-average producer at the plate.”

Davis, who will be 34 on March 17, decided to return to the Orioles. He’s added 25 pounds of muscle with hope that it will help bring back his lost power.

“I was really, really thin at the end of the season,” Davis said. “I think it was a combination of just physical and mental stress and I just got back to kind of some of the basics. I wanted to get my weight back up, get my strength back up, and not focus so much this offseason on trying to stay lean, but really trying to get as strong as I could. Feel a little bit more physical, physically strong, physically fit. And felt like I did what I wanted to do.”

But there’s pressure on Davis. Including deferred money, Baltimore still owes him $93 million, and he says he wants to earn that money.

“I don’t think that’s fair to these guys,” Davis said. “And I don’t think, honestly, it’s fair to our fans, or to anybody that’s associated with Baltimore. But I still think that there is something left in the tank and I think that that’s really a conversation that we’re going to have to have at the end of this season.”

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/02/18/baltimore-orioles-chris-davis-considered-retirement/

19 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He said all this. That’s accurate. 

That said a moment of self reflection in an offseason interview is not the same as doing it. I’m sure all of us have internally debated decisions that we never made. 

He looks awful now but it comes after a great spring and a 3.5 month shutdown. I have no idea how that impacts his thoughts.