Dwight Smith no instincts

accinfo

Dwight Smith running through that stop sign, not reading the base hit correctly bugs me more than anything.  You should know how to run the bases even if you can't field a lick.  He can hit a little but I don't want that guy on my team.  He has zero future.  I would rather play Mullins everyday out there when Hayes comes back.  Probably time to look at Mountcastle.  Frustrating loss that was.  Severino needs to make that play as well but he gets a mulligan.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, IHaveRazorBurn said:

He's been a bad outfielder for awhile. I still don't understand why Mountcastle isn't up. Maybe when the O's slip to 4th in the division and are out of it, then he'll be brought up. I have no clue what's going on in Elias's mind. 

Probably that this season is more about additional tweaking and experimentation regarding the rebuild, rather than the "we're contending this year" thoughts that many of us had when we got off to a nice start.

This pie isn't done yet and needs more the in the oven.  Elias knows this. 

1 minute ago, Morgan423 said:

Probably that this season is more about additional tweaking and experimentation regarding the rebuild, rather than the "we're contending this year" thoughts that many of us had when we got off to a nice start.

What experimentation?  Akin's three innings?

• Upvote 1

I don’t buy the idea that Mike is waiting until we’re out of it before bringing up the prospects. The guys we have playing, several of them anyway, are terrible. There’s absolutely no reason to be playing Smith over Mountcastle, even if Smith is marginally better, which remains to be seen. Smith is not part of any future at all under any circumstances, and Mountcastle might be. There is no excuse to not find out now. I don’t know why nobody is asking Mike about this.

edit: It’s possible that somebody is asking Mike about it, but as I said before, nobody is pressing him when he gives a non-answer.It’s possible that somebody is asking Mike about it, but as I said before, nobody is pressing him when he gives a non-answer.

Edited by Philip

3 hours ago, Morgan423 said:

Although that’s true, it doesn’t explain what is going on now. If he wants to tweak, why is he tweaking with guys who are barely part of the present, much less the future. Bring in the future guys and let them show what they can do, or what they can’t do. Stewart turned out to be terrible, but at least he got a brief chance.

6 hours ago, joelala said:

Is that a dead horse I hear being flogged?
But ya, Smith is like a 5th outfielder at best. I’ve seen way more than enough. 

My profile of a "5th outfielder" includes being a speedy defensive replacement. Not a slow, low effort defender who appears to be disinterested in the game but might hit a homerun every 40 PAs.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Although that’s true, it doesn’t explain what is going on now. If he wants to tweak, why is he tweaking with guys who are barely part of the present, much less the future. Bring in the future guys and let them show what they can do, or what they can’t do. Stewart turned out to be terrible, but at least he got a brief chance.

I would be thrilled to see DJS instead of DSJ.

51 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I would be thrilled to see DJS instead of DSJ.

Me too. Even though he’s been terrible so far, 18 at bats isn’t much of an audition. I can to understand why they don’t give the future guys an audition, especially in a season like this one.

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

My profile of a "5th outfielder" includes being a speedy defensive replacement. Not a slow, low effort defender who appears to be disinterested in the game but might hit a homerun every 40 PAs.

Fine I was being too nice. He’s a AAAA player 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Me too. Even though he’s been terrible so far, 18 at bats isn’t much of an audition. I can to understand why they don’t give the future guys an audition, especially in a season like this one.

I'm at my wit's end with Dwight Smith Jr. True, I have dumped on DJ Stewart since the day he was drafted for having no value beyond DH, and then only if he could hit enough for a team to carry a bat-only player. And I might have been prescient. Doesn't matter though -- the Orioles have to give playing time to young, inexperienced players to see what they might bring to the team, if anything. They can't keep throwing away valuable games and at-bats on players who are poor and will not be improving. They need to focus on evaluating the unknowns.

Dwight Smith Jr. is the most easily cut-able Orioles since Jeff Stone.

• Upvote 1