Baseball ages of tonight starting lineup

wildcard

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He still could be called up, I just don't see Elias making a 40-man roster move to promote someone who hasn't played in AAA.

o

I suspect that that's relatively rare.

The first example that comes to mind is when Dylan Bundy was called up for the stretch-run in September of 2012. That move eventually caused some anxiety for the Orioles' front-office a few years later in 2016, when they were forced to bring him north with the team at the start of the season to avoid losing him through a DFA. Showalter and Duquette were able to improvise with his spot on the 25-man roster, gradually increasing his innings-per-game in each outing until he became a bona-fide starter in mid-to-late July.

Orioles Call Up 19-Year-old Pitching Prospect Dylan Bundy

(High School Sports)

https://usatodayhss.com/2012/orioles-call-up-19-year-old-pitching-prospect-dylan-bundy

Manny Machado was also a 19 year-old who came up directly from the AA-level in 2012, although unlike Bundy, Machado was essentially in the Majors to stay when it happened.

o

3 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

The first example that comes to mind is when Dylan Bundy was called up for the stretch-run in September of 2012. That move eventually caused some anxiety for the Orioles' front-office a few years later in 2016, when they were forced to bring him north with the team at the start of the season to avoid losing him through a DFA. Showalter and Duquette were able to improvise with his spot on the roster, gradually increasing his innings-per-game in each outing until he became a bona-fide starter in mid-to-late July.

(High School Sports)

https://usatodayhss.com/2012/orioles-call-up-19-year-old-pitching-prospect-dylan-bundy

Manny Machado was also a 19 year-old who came up directly from the AA-level in 2012, although unlike Bundy, Machado was essentially in the Majors to stay when it happened.

o

Bundy signed a ML contract when he was drafted.  He was on the 40.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

The first example that comes to mind is when Dylan Bundy was called up for the stretch-run in September of 2012. That move eventually caused some anxiety for the Orioles' front-office a few years later in 2016, when they were forced to bring him north with the team at the start of the season to avoid losing him through a DFA. Showalter and Duquette were able to improvise with his spot on the 25-man roster, gradually increasing his innings-per-game in each outing until he became a bona-fide starter in mid-to-late July.

(High School Sports)

o

I thought Bundy was already on the 40 because he signed a ML contract. 
edit bah too late!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Bundy signed a ML contract when he was drafted. He was on the 40.

1 minute ago, makoman said:

I thought Bundy was already on the 40 because he signed a ML contract. 

Edit: Bah, too late !!!

o

Oh, thanks. I thought that it was because he was out of options.

o

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

By my count 5 of these guys are either mediocre in the position they are playing on defense or out of position.... (Alberto, Núñez, Santander,, Sisco, Mountcastle). And they would be no better with Severino at catcher.

Alberto and Santander are not mediocre defensively, although Alberto has had a bad week.

5 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Alberto and Santander are not mediocre defensively, although Alberto has had a bad week.

Santander looks shaky in the outfield to me. I’d be willing to be Alberto’s range is below average, I agree that he usually handles balls that he can reach.

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Santander looks shaky in the outfield to me. I’d be willing to be Alberto’s range is below average, I agree that he usually handles balls that he can reach.

Santander has been elite defensively in the small sample size thus far this season.

Alberto was above average in outs above average last year, tied for 11th out of 38 in the league among second basemen (when only considering when he played second). He struggled going to his right, but was above average going in, back, and to his left. He was tied for 22nd out of 138 infielders.

• Upvote 3