Deadline 2020 Rumors and News Orioles related

Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

If I'm a buying GM, all things being equal, I'm going to pay the most for Givens.  I think he's a stud.  Regardless of who closes, he's the O's dominant reliever, and he's got 1 more of team control.  A team trying to trade for him knows we don't have to trade him, so they have to make a strong offer to get him.      

Givens was the one who got his picture on Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN (with Rosenthal, Holland, Daniel Norris and 1-2 others I don't recall).   But the ESPN graphics editors place him in the first tier.

I wonder if Elias would listen to calls concerning Santander. For the record, he is my favorite Oriole and I don't want to trade him.  He has three years of control after this year (correct?) and we still have Diaz, Mountcastle, Hays, Mullins, Stewart, and eventually Kjerstad in the outfield.  Do you think it is possible that Santander is traded?  If so, what would you expect him to fetch in a trade?

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

I wonder if Elias would listen to calls concerning Santander. For the record, he is my favorite Oriole and I don't want to trade him.  He has three years of control after this year (correct?) and we still have Diaz, Mountcastle, Hays, Mullins, Stewart, and eventually Kjerstad in the outfield.  Do you think it is possible that Santander is traded?  If so, what would you expect him to fetch in a trade?

If you are asking if Santander is untouchable... no way. I think Elias definitely listens to offers if someone really wants him.

7 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Never say never, but I think it would very surprising if they traded Santander.  

5 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Never say never, but I think it would very surprising if they traded Santander.  

I agree.  Though it is possible that his value may ever be higher.  I say that hoping I am wrong, but he did not hit the cover off the ball in the minors, so as good as he has looked, this or even something close to this us probably not sustainable.  In the end, he is probably a .775-.850 guy, which is very valuable, but I do wonder what it could get us now with him red hot.

23 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

If you are asking if Santander is untouchable... no way. I think Elias definitely listens to offers if someone really wants him.

I wonder what teams are out there that are looking for a young corner outfielder under team control at relatively reasonable prices through 2024?  A team that's building, but has a couple years until contention. 

I agree with a lot that has been said here.

I see three categories.  1) Players Elias would like to trade   2) Players that have no trade value  3) Everyone else.   There is a price at which Elias would trade any player but that price is sooo high that  no team will likely meet it.

Category 1

Givens -  Most likely to be traded for a return.  Return: Probably some prospect(s) in the low minors that Elias believes will reach the majors.

Cobb -  I agree that dumping the salary is a high priority.  Getting a low minor league player though  is possible.  Elias will not worry about who will pitch for the next month if Cobb brings  the return he wants.

Milone  - Very Available.  I doubt anyone will pay anything worthwhile for him  O's will not give him away.

Category 3

Alberto - Not going anywhere unless Elias is blown away with an offer.  He is the heart and soul of the team.  Emotional leader.   Motivator.

Severino - Not going anywhere unless Elias is blown away with an offer.   Developing impact bat and at high value position.   Elias will wait until AR is ready for the majors before he trades for any less they a real high return.

Holiday - No one is going to give up a piece of the future for him.  Elias/Hyde value him as a mentor to Severino and Sisco.  He probably stays.

Sulser - Age does not matter much when a player is cheap for two more years and effective.  Not going anywhere unless Elias is blown away with an offer.

Scott - Not going anywhere unless Elias is blown away with an offer.

Armstrong -  Probably not going anywhere but there is a reasonable price that would get him.  Salary arbitration eligible this offseason.  Turns 30 next birthday.

Iglesias -  Not looking to trade him but would for a piece of the future.

Wijciechowski -  They would trade him but probably no one will give them anything worh whiled  for him.    Probably does not make the 40 man roster that is set before the Winter Meetings.  Arbitration eligible.    But he is worth something now to the O's for eating innings.

Valaika  - O's would trade if someone offered something for him.   Nice homer power vs lefties for someones bench.   The question is will anyone offer enough to get him.   It would have to be a piece for the future.  Arbitration eligible. 

Arbitration eligible guys that are almost impossible for another team to get for different reasons:  Santander,  Nunez, Mancini, Castro

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I agree.  Though it is possible that his value may ever be higher.  I say that hoping I am wrong, but he did not hit the cover off the ball in the minors, so as good as he has looked, this or even something close to this us probably not sustainable.  In the end, he is probably a .775-.850 guy, which is very valuable, but I do wonder what it could get us now with him red hot.

He led the Carolina League with 42 doubles and was 2nd with 20 homers as a 21-year-old in 2016.  Then the O's took him in the Rule 5 draft and had him wander in the desert for most of the next two seasons. 

I think he's a pretty legitimate player.  A cost-controlled .800-.850 OPS from a RFer is not a bad deal.  As an Oriole Nick Markakis OPS'd .793.  Things like K rate and ISO are among the earliest to be legit, so I'm cautiously optimistic about his power and really good contact numbers this year.

50 minutes ago, MountUrCastle said:

I'd move what I can from expiring FA"s for any form of young talent. For players like relievers (i.e Givens) i'm cool with rolling dices on high school players. For someone like Severino, I want A/AA/AAA guys with a future (even if it's not the brightest)

Cobb and Givens have 1 more year to go ...We dont have any expiring contracts

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Elias will only pull the trigger if it is the only way to secure a top draft pick

If by this comment you mean it looks like the Orioles are winning too much and will jettison Santander to lose more games, I disagree.

If you mean the Orioles will trade him for a first round draft pick, then yeah I can see that.