Deadline 2020 Rumors and News Orioles related

Roll Tide

Relief Pitching Rockies, Reds, Cubs , Astros, and Marlins mentioned needing relief pitching. They also mentioned the Phillies but I suspect they are done

Starting Pitching Yankees, Royals, White Sox, Mets , AD-Backs, Angels, and Braves

2B Athletics or Padres are contending for the division title. Would Alberto be a fit? Is he available?

Catcher Mariners, Pirates, Giants.... The Pirates are not contending have little at catcher and not1 of their top 30 is a catcher. Would Severino be an option.

Impact Bat....Cardinals, Padres, Indians,Nationals  .....Núñez?

https://www.mlb.com/news/trade-deadline-upgrades-for-mlb-teams

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Relief Pitching Rockies, Reds, Cubs , Astros, and Marlins mentioned needing relief pitching. They also mentioned the Phillies but I suspect they are done

Starting Pitching Yankees, Royals, White Sox, Mets , AD-Backs, Angels, and Braves

2B Athletics or Padres are contending for the division title. Would Alberto be a fit? Is he available?

Catcher Mariners, Pirates, Giants.... The Pirates are not contending have little at catcher and not1 of their top 30 is a catcher. Would Severino be an option.

Impact Bat....Cardinals, Padres, Indians,Nationals  .....Núñez?

https://www.mlb.com/news/trade-deadline-upgrades-for-mlb-teams

The Padres also need relievers.

The A’s would love someone like Alberto.

why would the pirates be acquiring anything at this moment? Who would want our catchers? They aren’t terrible but they are hardly Desirable, and Severino just went down.

We have some widgets other teams would like, but nothing they’d pay much for.

My trade thoughts...

• Cobb - Still think it's unlikely as the benefit for starters in a short season is pretty low, but maybe someone out there is desperate enough... Yankees? If we do, I think the O's eat a substantial amount of salary to boost return. 
  • Givens - Seems 50/50. Will someone actually give up enough to meet Elias' apparently pretty high demand?
  • Milone - An underrated pick to be traded, IMO. He's pitched really well, has a rubber arm, can start or relieve. Not going to get much of a return for him, but I think the O's will be quick to move him in order to free up a spot on the team for a SP prospect.
  • Holaday - I could see a Holaday-for-cash trade. Wynns is still kicking around, yeah?
  • Sulser - I put him only because he's 30 and having his first big league success. And Harvey is returning soon (we hope). He appears to be an inexpensive analytics darling and his value could be higher in another year, so I think he's likely to stay.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Philip said:

The Padres also need relievers.

The A’s would love someone like Alberto.

why would the pirates be acquiring anything at this moment? Who would want our catchers? They aren’t terrible but they are hardly Desirable, and Severino just went down.

We have some widgets other teams would like, but nothing they’d pay much for.

If Severino isn't DL bound, he would be a solid pick up for a team.  He won't sustain a near .1000 OPS, but he should be an .800 plus guy the rest of the way.  Yes, his defense is questionable.

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

If Severino isn't DL bound, he would be a solid pick up for a team.  He won't sustain a near .1000 OPS, but he should be an .800 plus guy the rest of the way.  Yes, his defense is questionable.

I’m not saying he would not be good for some people, but given how many other teams are selling, I’m not sure he would be the best available or even the least expensive. But we shall see, I would be happy if somebody wants him.

Edited by Philip

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m not saying he would be good for some people, but given how many other teams are selling, I’m sure he would be the best available or even the least expensive. But we shall see, I would be happy if somebody wants him.

Agreed, I'd be happy to move him.  He's cheap and controllable though.  Would be interesting to see what they could get for him, and then let Sisco and Wynns/Holaday be the catchers until AR is ready.

• Upvote 1

Those I’d like to see traded 

1- Givens - this one should be a no brainer. He’s pitching well and there is a robust market for relief pitching . Does anyone think we could get a top 10-12 prospect back ?

2- Cobb - this one it would depend on the return . I would trade I just don’t know who else would pitch in place of him . LeBlanc is hurt and Means is just getting back . We have to have someone pitch . But If return is good I’d be inclined to move him . And the team that got would have for another year.

3- Alberto - depending on the return again . I think Vailaka could handle 2b for a month 

2 hours ago, Philip said:

I’m not saying he would not be good for some people, but given how many other teams are selling, I’m not sure he would be the best available or even the least expensive. But we shall see, I would be happy if somebody wants him.

There should be more buyers than usual due to the increased number of playoff slots!

The trade deadline is exactly one week away and the mystery surrounding it is one of the many new twists to the season. One of the great unknowns that’s become timely.

Executives really have no idea how it’s going to evolve with the expanded playoff field perhaps reducing the number of sellers.

Relievers usually are in demand and the Red Sox traded two during their trip to Baltimore, sending Brandon Workman and Heath Hembree to the Phillies. The Orioles dealt left-hander Richard Bleier to the Marlins on July 31, the normal deadline date.

The Orioles have a few other bullpen arms that could interest teams, most notably Mychal Givens, who was charged with his first run yesterday after leaving the game. Tanner Scott holds value that’s soaring - don’t mark him down for Jackie Bradley Jr.’s home run - but the Orioles may want to keep him based on his dominance as a left-hander and contract status. He can’t become a free agent until 2025 and is a potential piece for the rebuild

but he’s got to be fielding calls about his relievers. And he won’t shy away from consummating more trades simply because the Orioles are .500.

“When you’re trying to develop starting pitchers, being able to hand off games to quality relievers is nice. It puts less pressure on the manager to stretch those young starters. So there’s a lot of value to it for any club,” Elias said.

“Obviously, if you’re a playoff-bound team or you’re in a playoff race, I think relievers are more valuable to you than anyone else. And particularly in a season like this where I guess you might think of it like, the proportion of the season these relievers are going to throw, it’s greater than normal, and I think that their impact is going to decide some of these races, maybe a little bit more than normal. So I think there’s some extra value on the relievers this year because of that possibly.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/08/notes-on-trade-deadline-davis-status-and-new-rules.html

8 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

You seriously want to trade Mountcastle and Means?

I'm not seriously advocating for it... just making the point that unless you're willing to part with those guys, we won't be receiving any prospects in return worth talking about. Some here seem think that Givens could bring us back something exciting, and they will be the first to express their disappoint at any return we get back this deadline.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, ofan239 said:

1- Givens - this one should be a no brainer. He’s pitching well and there is a robust market for relief pitching . Does anyone think we could get a top 10-12 prospect back ?

2- Cobb - this one it would depend on the return . I would trade I just don’t know who else would pitch in place of him . LeBlanc is hurt and Means is just getting back . We have to have someone pitch . But If return is good I’d be inclined to move him . And the team that got would have for another year.

3- Alberto - depending on the return again . I think Vailaka could handle 2b for a month 

If I'm a buying GM, all things being equal, I'm going to pay the most for Givens.  I think he's a stud.  Regardless of who closes, he's the O's dominant reliever, and he's got 1 more of team control.  A team trying to trade for him knows we don't have to trade him, so they have to make a strong offer to get him.      

1 hour ago, ofan239 said:

If they get someone to take Cobb's salary, they trade him regardless of the return imo.  That saves them 15 million next year to either reinvest elsewhere in the organization or spend on free agents in the offseason.  Eshelman, Lopez, Akin, Kremer, etc can pitch