Deadline 2020 Rumors and News Orioles related

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Why not just keep Santander and the prospects then?

Every player has a value.  If a team offers what we think Santander is worth in prospects, I would think we should seriously consider it.  Given that we just drafted Kjerstad, if we could convert Santander into a top SS or SP or 3B prospect, I would give that a long look.

14 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Difficult to believe we would get a prospect rated as high as Marquez.  Maybe there is some divergence on his evaluation, but Baseball America had Marquez as the Cubs top prospect entering 2020 and the 8th best LHP in the minors.  

It is difficult also to see Mike Yaz's name there - difficult to comprehend just how badly our front office was ripped off in that trade.  We are likely a near lock for this year's playoffs with Mancini, Mountcastle and Yaz in our current lineup.

Is Mancini back next year? Are his prospects that good? I had assumed he had a difficult road ahead and all my hopes were for him to regain good health to live on. A return to baseball would be a bonus for me. 

4 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Every player has a value.  If a team offers what we think Santander is worth in prospects, I would think we should seriously consider it.  Given that we just drafted Kjerstad, if we could convert Santander into a top SS or SP or 3B prospect, I would give that a long look.

We are talking about trading Santander and Oriole prospects for Mike Clevinger.

1 minute ago, Enjoy Terror said:

We are talking about trading Santander and Oriole prospects for Mike Clevinger.

I think that Santander would not have the value to bring back prospects commensurate with his reevaluated upside. I believe that both Clevinger and Plesac have momentarily diminished their values. 

5 minutes ago, weams said:

I think that Santander would not have the value to bring back prospects commensurate with his reevaluated upside. I believe that both Clevinger and Plesac have momentarily diminished their values. 

Again, we aren't talking about bringing back prospects.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He has 2 and maybe 3 years of service time left.  You can win in that window and TOR starters don’t grow on trees.

Another Rob pipe dream and I can think of some big ones from the past. If they trade Santander, Alberto, and similar guys it will be for a pile of younger players

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Difficult to believe we would get a prospect rated as high as Marquez.  Maybe there is some divergence on his evaluation, but Baseball America had Marquez as the Cubs top prospect entering 2020 and the 8th best LHP in the minors.  

It is difficult also to see Mike Yaz's name there - difficult to comprehend just how badly our front office was ripped off in that trade.  We are likely a near lock for this year's playoffs with Mancini, Mountcastle and Yaz in our current lineup.

Just think about it like we did Yaz for Severino, since they happened the same day. That’s a bit easier, I don’t care if it’s cognitive dissonance or something. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, hoosiers said:

Does it count as being ripped off if the other side also had no idea about the value?

The Yaz deal is like selling a canvas with dogs playing poker on it for 10 bucks only for the person you sold it to discovering that a lost Van Dyke was underneath.

Did you get ripped off?  I don't think you did.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He led the Carolina League with 42 doubles and was 2nd with 20 homers as a 21-year-old in 2016.  Then the O's took him in the Rule 5 draft and had him wander in the desert for most of the next two seasons. 

I think he's a pretty legitimate player.  A cost-controlled .800-.850 OPS from a RFer is not a bad deal.  As an Oriole Nick Markakis OPS'd .793.  Things like K rate and ISO are among the earliest to be legit, so I'm cautiously optimistic about his power and really good contact numbers this year.

I agree.  I do hope the Orioles keep him.  Just trying to get into Elias's head as to what he ay be thinking with other outfielders coming up the pipeline.

1 hour ago, weams said:

Is Mancini back next year? Are his prospects that good? I had assumed he had a difficult road ahead and all my hopes were for him to regain good health to live on. A return to baseball would be a bonus for me. 

Having had family members suffer from a similar situation, yes all I'm hoping for is for him to live a long healthy life.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Does it count as being ripped off if the other side also had no idea about the value?

The Yaz deal is like selling a canvas with dogs playing poker on it for 10 bucks only for the person you sold it to discovering that a lost Van Dyke was underneath.

Did you get ripped off?  I don't think you did.

If they knew what he was going to do they probably wouldn’t have sent him to AAA for almost two months. 
(unless they were super 2 manipulating of course)

• Haha 1