Deadline 2020 Rumors and News Orioles related

Roll Tide

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Does it count as being ripped off if the other side also had no idea about the value?

The Yaz deal is like selling a canvas with dogs playing poker on it for 10 bucks only for the person you sold it to discovering that a lost Van Dyke was underneath.

Did you get ripped off?  I don't think you did.

Dogs Playing Poker is one of the most popular images of our lifetimes. Right behind Jesus on the Cross and a little bit ahead of palm trees in front of a setting Sun. The majority of this country's citizens would treasure a Dogs Playing Poker artwork on their wall over a Van Dyke. 

There are lots of Dogs Playing Poker in MiLB and even in MLB. The Orioles just DFA'd one the other day. I guess some times it's hard to tell what is a Van Dyke and what is a D.P.P. even for GMs like Elias.

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

You are guaranteeing that I’m incorrect?  

How can you guarantee it?  How do you know much he will get in trade?

If the Orioles would trade Santander the price would be steep. If they can’t get steep they will just keep him. So I agree with Lip on this point.

Cobb

The Orioles were willing to eat almost that much to trade starting pitcher Andrew Cashner to Boston last July, and other teams are getting signals from the Orioles that they’re willing to take on a good bit of Cobb’s money as well to facilitate a trade and boost their return.

Cobb has been the Orioles’ most consistent starter, with a 3.73 ERA in six starts and some good peripheral stats. He’s around his career average in terms of strikeout rate, but ranks seventh among qualified pitchers in ground ball rate (58%), mitigating some of the hard contact he’s allowed in some recent starts.

Givens
No one will be acquiring Givens to close games, but what they’ll get is an experienced reliever to set up in their bullpen with the benefit of another year of club control after this one. Givens is owed approximately $624,000 for the rest of the season. The good version of Givens will be well worth that for a playoff team.

Castro and Scott

There simply aren’t many arms like his in the Orioles’ organization, but Castro is already in his arbitration years and has two years of club control left, meaning there’s plenty of value to an acquiring club beyond this year. It’s unclear who else in the Orioles bullpen teams might be willing to give something up for besides Givens, Castro and Tanner Scott.

Scott, though, might be the only one the Orioles would have to be blown away for to make a trade. The rest might be easier to pry away.

He also mentions Iglesias and his return from the injury Wednesday. 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-reset-trade-candidates-20200824-djq34gwygjhsjenhlbvhzhwili-story.html

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

If the Orioles would trade Santander the price would be steep. If they can’t get steep they will just keep him. So I agree with Lip on this point.

That’s fine.

But his point had nothing to do with what I was saying.

Again, I never said Elias would deal Santander if the return wasn’t good.  I just said I doubt Santander is worth much in the open market.

And I would hope the price wouldn’t have to be “steep” for him to trade Santander...unless we have very different definitions of the word steep within this context.

16 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I wonder what teams are out there that are looking for a young corner outfielder under team control at relatively reasonable prices through 2024?  A team that's building, but has a couple years until contention. 

Yup, It would make more sense for the O's to try to acquire a player like Santander than to trade him.  

45 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Yup, It would make more sense for the O's to try to acquire a player like Santander than to trade him.  

Depends on how good you think he is/will be.

It also depends on how you feel about the OFers coming behind him. 

Lots of factors in play for any single decision beyond just “he’s hitting well and he’s cheap, so therefore you must keep him”.

Can anyone find somewhere with the wildcard standings?  ESPN's doesn't seem right to me as it shows TB and HOU in the wild card list, even though they are both solidly second in their divisions. 

Edit: Baseball reference has a useful "most likely playoff scenario" chart along with their playoff odds: 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2020-playoff-odds.shtml

Edited by Bubble Buddy

45 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

Can anyone find somewhere with the wildcard standings?  ESPN's doesn't seem right to me as it shows TB and HOU in the wild card list, even though they are both solidly second in their divisions. 

Edit: Baseball reference has a useful "most likely playoff scenario" chart along with their playoff odds: 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2020-playoff-odds.shtml

ESPN shows it..you just have to click on wild card standings.

Dallas Morning News article today indicates the Rangers are seriously considering throwing in the towel, Which means they would no longer be interested in anything we have, but they’d also be shopping Lance Lynn, who is cheaper and better than Cobb.

That decision, if it happens, doesn’t really change the WC picture, which leaves Toronto and B-More for the final WC, but it would affect the trade picture.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

ESPN shows it..you just have to click on wild card standings.

It does show it, I just don't think it's correct. Shows the Jays and Houston currently out and only shows 3 spots when they're should be 5 wild cards technically (if they're calling all non division winners wild card). 

10 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

It does show it, I just don't think it's correct. Shows the Jays and Houston currently out and only shows 3 spots when they're should be 5 wild cards technically (if they're calling all non division winners wild card). 

You just want to see who the top 5 teams are.  That’s all that matters.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s fine.

But his point had nothing to do with what I was saying.

Again, I never said Elias would deal Santander if the return wasn’t good.  I just said I doubt Santander is worth much in the open market.

And I would hope the price wouldn’t have to be “steep” for him to trade Santander...unless we have very different definitions of the word steep within this context.

I know better ...But I'm just curious why a guy in a break out year, under control until 2025, cheap, and has good metrics defensively would not be worth much????