The O's should go for it

wildcard

2 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

No way a .500 team could take 3 of 5 from the Yankees...probably never happens during the regular season. 

It's a best of 3 series, not best of 5.   And all 3 games would be in NY.

But right now the Yankees are the #4 seed.   If we make it in as the #8 seed, we would play the #1 seed.   Which is Oakland right now.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

It's a best of 3 series, not best of 5.   And all 3 games would be in NY.

But right now the Yankees are the #4 seed.   If we make it in as the #8 seed, we would play the #1 seed.   Which is Oakland right now.

Ok, and I was being sarcastic.....hardly a pipe dream to think we could win 2 of 3 against the A's.....We swept the Nats and Phils, a couple of hot bats and the O's could be in the final 8 or 4. 

1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'd argue if you can't eat salary and get a good prospect now, you simply dump his salary for nothing that way you can spend that in the offseason. Because I think in 2021 they'll be close but not quite competitive but close enough to bring in some free agents. 

Spend Cobb's money on a guy like Stroman or eat the money for prospects.

Unless he has a great month of September the O's will have to eat at least part of his contract.  He's signed for $15M next year, and during his time with the O's he's been hurt half the time, and when not hurt has a FIP of 5.25.  Nobody's trading for him and taking on contract on the basis of a 3.73 ERA in six starts when all his peripherals are shaky.

I think best case is random org guy for (2021 Cobb + $8M)

Long story short I felt an urge to watch the 2016 wildcard highlights again, and even though we lost, I was completely marveling at our infield defense. We had at least three double plays in that game,  And nobody made clumsy plays that weren’t called errors. The current Infield defense is not very good. We’ve probably lost three or four games because of sloppy defense.

2 hours ago, osfan83 said:

Ok, and I was being sarcastic.....hardly a pipe dream to think we could win 2 of 3 against the A's.....We swept the Nats and Phils, a couple of hot bats and the O's could be in the final 8 or 4. 

They could get lucky and win 2 out 3. but they won’t be able to sustain that through 3 or 4 rounds

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

And more than likely get our asses kicked by the Yankees in the 1st series

If the cluster luck stays on our side and ~28-32 ekes in, I really only want to play the Yankees with 27 compressed glorious innings giving the 2020 club a chance to truly Pipp the Curse of the Andino.

Rays, Twins or A's seems so much more likely though.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/expected_statistics?type=batter-team&year=2020&position=&team=&min=q&sort=11&sortDir=desc

Apart from the fact we're the only team whose wOBA is greater than xwOBA period, I heard mention in last week's Ballpark Dimensions (formerly MLB Statcast) podcast, we were also high in getting our hits at the right time.

if MLB uses both the 2019 season results as well as the 2020 season results, there's no guarantee that they will add wins together. They could create an average of the teams finish comparative to the whole of MLB. If the Orioles play 500 this year, they would probably end up ranked around 15. Between a rank of 15 this year and 29 last year, they may rank as the 23rd or 24th team, translating to a pick outside of the top five.

25 minutes ago, O's84 said:

I think wildcard's screen name has influenced his judgement. 

I  think many fans look too much at history and not enough at what is happening on the field.  O's have  the #3 best  offense in the AL.   We have not seen the real Means and Harvey  yet.    Iglesias is the leader of the infield and the Spanish speaking players.  He is about to return. 

It will be such a boost for the rebuild if things fall their way and they get hot at the right time.