How does Elias maintain a Top 10 farm system without high draft choices

wildcard

Excel at Scouting and Player development, consistently signing top Int'l Free Agent talent, trading good players for a prospect premium before they become expensive, buying prospects in exchange for salary.

Basically a bunch of things the O's have never done in my lifetime. They are working towards a couple of those things on the list, though.

The O's were always picking in the top 10 it seems in the 2000's and had nothing to show for it... a big reason why is they were relying almost exclusively on the draft to supply their talent.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Better all around scouting, development and a significant presence in the international markets.  

It really is that simple.

I would also add knowing when to trade players.  The organization failed to recognize that trading Manny and Britton after 2016 was the right thing to do and that sent them back.  You have to understand the situation you are in and be smart about it

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Excel at Scouting and Player development, consistently signing top Int'l Free Agent talent, trading good players for a prospect premium before they become expensive, buying prospects in exchange for salary.

Basically a bunch of things the O's have never done in my lifetime. They are working towards a couple of those things on the list, though.

The O's were always picking in the top 10 it seems in the 2000's and had nothing to show for it... a big reason why is they were relying almost exclusively on the draft to supply their talent.

The O's player development was poor during the 2000's.  

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Better all around scouting, development and a significant presence in the international markets.  

The O's are not likely to deliver international players to the majors in the next three years is my guess.  So how does Elias keep a Top 10 farm system?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• They are a bunch of simp libtards now, you'd fit in well
    • Trade for trout while his is stock is low. Bit of a gamble, but he's a leader that needs a change of scenery. He is our RF/ DH middle of the order RH bat to replace santander  If we can keep him healthy, he might be the veteran presence we need. We have the salary space for his contract 
    • I'm rooting against the Yankees this weekend. Hasn't gotten close to that point for me. The 2016 WC game was the worst because of the Britton situation. The 2014 Royals series was awful. I don't know that this loss was even as bad as last year's vs the Rangers where it felt like we could go all the way. This was just a wild card team vs a wild card team that could go either way, and some bounces didn't go our way and young players couldn't handle the pressure. It's best-of-3, it happens.
    • I'm older than most here. The pain of being a sports fan in Baltimore in 1969 make this year's playoff sweep seem trivial. All three of our local pro teams had great regular seasons. The Colts were a sure thing to beat the upstart Jets in Super Bowl III. No way the mighty Orioles would lose to the Mets in the World Series. And I thought for sure the Bullets might beat the Knicks in the NBA semifinals. Talk about long lasting pain ...
    • Come on man, that's a crock. I've been as frustrated as anyone watching Adley's approach at the plate and his uppercut swing. But to say he's the kind of guy that makes excuses is way out of line. I have no doubt Adley will work on getting his body, swing and mind right in the off-season. 
    • I was given three free tix to see them in Durham in '23. They oversold the tix, ie. the seats were not assigned, first come / first serve,  the line to get in was ridiculously long, and we had to stand in the miserable heat and humidity of a NC summer.  Worst baseball in person experience of my life. Just goofy from the little I got to see in the three person deep standing room only crowd. We left after three innings or whatever they call it in their version of the game. Way too loud, too. Just too much BS going on. It was like the baseball version of drinking WAY too much gin and fruit punch and the wild colors give you the bed spins. 
  • Popular Contributors