Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

8 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

He played very well for Manny when Manny hurt his knee and in the playoffs.  in 2014, Sept.Oct, he had an OPS of .804

While he wasn't Manny at 3rd, he was still above average with the glove.

Hard to compare any SS to the Blade, which some say was the best glove at SS in the business, ever.

Missing my point a bit, which is that Ryan was fine when he was able to serve strictly as a backup utility infielder.  He has no business playing more time than that as his bat sucks and pretty much always has (worse career average than Belanger, for example)  But Belanger COULD and DID play full-time even with his terrible bat because his defense was so much better- when Ryan has played full-time it is because somebody else was hurt, not because his glove or bat deserved a full time role.  

Water under the bridge for me as I really could care less at this point about Ryan Flaherty's future career path because there is no way I believe he is any kind of fit for our rebuilding project, imho.  Although, of course,  he was always a favorite nugget of Buck's and Brady too so, who knows, the current Orioles management certainly could make Flaherty a deal and bring him back on board this offseason.  

15 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Missing my point a bit, which is that Ryan was fine when he was able to serve strictly as a backup utility infielder.  He has no business playing more time than that as his bat sucks and pretty much always has (worse career average than Belanger, for example)  But Belanger COULD and DID play full-time even with his terrible bat because his defense was so much better- when Ryan has played full-time it is because somebody else was hurt, not because his glove or bat deserved a full time role.  

Water under the bridge for me as I really could care less at this point about Ryan Flaherty's future career path because there is no way I believe he is any kind of fit for our rebuilding project, imho.  Although, of course,  he was always a favorite nugget of Buck's and Brady too so, who knows, the current Orioles management certainly could make Flaherty a deal and bring him back on board this offseason.  

The Senators had a great glove at SS and no bat, which was pretty typical in those low ERA pitcher eras.

As great as the Blade was, I sometimes, think he would not be an everyday player on contending teams.

8 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

The Senators had a great glove at SS and no bat, which was pretty typical in those low ERA pitcher eras.

As great as the Blade was, I sometimes, think he would not be an everyday player on contending teams.

Until Cal came along, a lot of SSs on good teams were defense and no hit..Dal Maxvill withCards, Ray Oyler with Tigers, Bud Harrelson with the Mets, Eddie Brinkman was in that mold...

Maybe we should be investing more in player development? Scouts?:) Just a thought. 

Ben McDonald said today the drastic improvement in his breaking pitch was a big part of the success.

I know we didn’t need more evidence that our org was incompetent with starting pitching but this one hurts. Just like Jake.

9 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Maybe we should be investing more in player development? Scouts?:) Just a thought. 

Ben McDonald said today the drastic improvement in his breaking pitch was a big part of the success.

I know we didn’t need more evidence that our org was incompetent with starting pitching but this one hurts. Just like Jake.

If his breaking ball is really clicking, that’s certainly a qualitative improvement it would seem. More time is needed, but he looks to be yet another example of our ineptitude at pitcher development. 

Let's see what happens his 2nd time around the league once team's get a "book" on him.  I expect some improvement with him facing the pitcher now and not having to face the NY and BOS lineups.  Maybe a 1/2 run per game.  But if those numbers keep up long term, then I'll be right there with you.

2 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

He has similar succces for short stints before he has also face basically minor league offenses in all 5 starts.  Lot easier to pitch in games against the Marlins Mets Pirates thrn Yanks Red Sox and American League teams.

You missed the key thing: they adjusted something to improve his breaking pitch. He’s been successful with it. That isn’t just weaker competition, that is a material change.