Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

Brad Brach gets the win for the Cubs in their home opener Monday.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=401074878

Brach (1-0) came in after Lester was removed with two on and no outs in the third. He got Starling Marte to bounce into a double play, then struck out Francisco Cervelli.

Brach worked the fourth, and Kintzler and Rosario each pitched two innings. Strop closed it out on a picturesque day at Wrigley Field.

"It's just one of those things where kind of the good pitching can be contagious but at the same time the bad pitching can be contagious," Brach said. "I think now we're ready to get on a little bit of a roll and hopefully seven innings can go a long way to the next game."

Lester got hurt when he scored from second on Ben Zobrist's two-run single in Chicago's six-run second. The veteran left-hander is scheduled for an MRI on Tuesday.

On 4/7/2019 at 2:20 PM, Enjoy Terror said:

The Mexican league rosters settled out on Thursday:

1B Garabez Rosa - Signed with Leones of Mexican League
OF Dariel Alvarez - Signed with Toros of Mexican League
RP Omar Bencomo - Signed with Tecolotes of Mexican League
RP Jhan Marinez - Signed with Diablos Rojas of Mexican League

Was the new regime not as intent on trying Alvarez as a P as DD and Co. was?  

2 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Not in the purge but In the category of "long gone O's" it's also nice to see Nick Markakis off to a good start in Atlanta.  Nearly .800 OPS, 390 OBP, and .324 BA.  If he continues to get about 175 hits a season he could reach 3000 hits in another 3.5 years.  

Better check your math - he’s about 750 hits away. So more like 4.5 years.    I’d love to see him do it, but holding on to a starting OF gig that long will be difficult, and I’m not sure he’s willing to move from city to city on one year deals to try to accomplish that feat.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Not in the purge but In the category of "long gone O's" it's also nice to see Nick Markakis off to a good start in Atlanta.  Nearly .800 OPS, 390 OBP, and .324 BA.  If he continues to get about 175 hits a season he could reach 3000 hits in another 3.5 years.  

Nick currently has a 110 OPS+ for his career.  The only members of the 3000 hit club with lower marks are Ichiro and Lou Brock.  Ichiro had something like eight prime years in Japan.  Brock stole 938 bases.  I'm rooting for him to get there, but he'd almost certainly be the first 3000-hit guy (non-PED category) to get almost no HOF support.  

He's basically Rusty Staub, and I think that's where he'll end up: around 2700 hits.  But I doubt he hangs around pinch hitting until he's 41.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Better check your math - he’s about 750 hits away. So more like 4.5 years.    I’d love to see him do it, but holding on to a starting OF gig that long will be difficult, and I’m not sure he’s willing to move from city to city on one year deals to try to accomplish that feat.   

Yeah, that was confusing... I meant 3.5 more after this year.  I've always been a fan of Nick. If he can continue to hit he might get enough AB's if he moves to DH at some point.  

14 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

And if Harold Baines is the new standard, could get consideration for the HOF. 

On 4/7/2019 at 2:20 PM, Enjoy Terror said:

The Mexican league rosters settled out on Thursday:

1B Garabez Rosa - Signed with Leones of Mexican League
OF Dariel Alvarez - Signed with Toros of Mexican League
RP Omar Bencomo - Signed with Tecolotes of Mexican League
RP Jhan Marinez - Signed with Diablos Rojas of Mexican League

Felix Pie is playing for Leon. 

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m not sure he’s willing to move from city to city on one year deals to try to accomplish that feat.   

I think if you've got a chance...albeit a small chance...to do what a handful of major league baseball players have done over the course of 150 years...you do it.  

5 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Schoop was the one guy I wish we had signed. Still young enough to not be set in his ways. OPACY was made for him. I see the point in not throwing any money at a 100 loss team. Plus, idk if after his performance last year after being traded if another team would’ve given us anything anyway for him at the deadline. 

On another note, if Markakis gets 3000, he’s going to get in eventually. No PED allegations. He’s been key for some decent Braves teams, and even a couple Oriole teams. We’ll see....

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ChuckS said:

And if Harold Baines is the new standard, could get consideration for the HOF. 

If Harold Baines is the new standard they're going to have to induct about 200 players in fairly short order.  There are players (such as Bobby Grich) who have nearly twice Baines' value and fell off the ballot in a year or two and have never been seriously considered in the 20 years since.

There is no standard.  The BBWAA kind of has a loose standard, but the various Committees do whatever the heck they want, no matter how inconsistent with past results.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

On another note, if Markakis gets 3000, he’s going to get in eventually. No PED allegations. He’s been key for some decent Braves teams, and even a couple Oriole teams. We’ll see....

You never quite know, but Nick would end up as a RFer with an OPS+ under 110.  Nobody has really ever had 3000 hits with an OPS+ that low, with the exception of Lou Brock and Ichiro.  Both of whom have significant extra credit. 

He's really most like Johnny Damon, an outfielder who didn't lead the league in much of anything, never had any huge MVP-ish seasons, had some postseason moments, played on big teams, and ended up just shy of 2800 hits.  Damon appeared on the 2018 ballot and got 1.9% of the vote.  I'm not convinced that 200 hits would make up the 73.1% gap in the voting.