Grading the July 2018 Trades: an update

now

2 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

I hope the Orioles do see a need to keep Phillips.

Also, does the dislike have anything to do with the fact that you guys share a name?  My name is Andrew, but I love Mark Andrews.

I was almost named Andrew, but my parents decided against it because they didn’t like “Andy”

Apparently, they had no issues with “Phil,” which I loathe.

31 minutes ago, Philip said:

I was almost named Andrew, but my parents decided against it because they didn’t like “Andy”

I had an acquaintance in the 90s who was a civil servant working for the Navy like me.  Back then when you filled out the paperwork to get your gov't badge there was field for Nickname. Presumably so that if you were named Andrew, like him, you could list Andy as your preferred name.

He didn't put down Andy, he put down Freight Train, because he always wanted to be called Freight Train.  They put it on his badge.  It was awesome.

You should just go by Freight Train or T-bone or something.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

I had an acquaintance in the 90s who was a civil servant working for the Navy like me.  Back then you filled out the paperwork to get your gov't badge there was field for Nickname. Presumably so that if you were named Andrew, like him, you could list Andy as your preferred name.

He didn't put down Andy, he put down Freight Train, because he always wanted to be called Freight Train.  They put it on his badge.  It was awesome.

You should just go by Freight Train or T-bone or something.

Well I like “philip” I’ve tried nicknames in the past, but they just don’t seem to work. Freight train is great, though.

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Andrew, Philip...I mean you could've been Bartholomew or Thaddeus, so count yourself lucky.

Or Abner. I had a great uncle named Abner, and I’m glad that they did not pass it along.

One of my dear friends is from Lubbock, and she has two brothers named Hillburn and Nowlin. If I ever write a novel about two brothers running a still in depression era Kentucky, they will be named Hilburn and Nowlin.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

My parents named me Charles, but then started calling me Rick (which is a short version of Eric, my middle name).  I’ve been called Rick all my life, so I’ve had to explain that approximately one trillion times to people I’ve met.   I used to tell my parents I was going to name my kid Richard but call him Chuck.     But of course I didn’t actually go through with that.   

• Haha 1

Honestly, I don't care how the individual trades stack up, but the moves served as a shift into rebuilding as a whole so I'll look it at more has how did the moves as a whole at the deadline pan out?

In the end, if we can get a solid every-day corner outfielder (Diaz), a mid-rotation starter (Kremer), and a couple solid bullpen arms (Pop, Tate), I consider that a win.

On top of that, guys like Bannon, Zimmerman, and Rogers may have a future in some roll.

Honestly, given Manny's expiring contract, the injury questions around Britton and the inconsistent season for Schoop, that's not a terrible deadline, not great, but not terrible.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My parents named me Charles, but then started calling me Rick (which is a short version of Eric, my middle name).  I’ve been called Rick all my life, so I’ve had to explain that approximately one trillion times to people I’ve met.   I used to tell my parents I was going to name my kid Richard but call him Chuck.     But of course I didn’t actually go through with that.   

I don’t understand why Parents name their children “Alexandria Yvonne” and then call them “Alex” if you’re gonna name your kid some thing call them that, and if You’re going to call them some thing simple and two syllables, then just name them that.

My stepson is named Clarence, and everybody calls him Clarence. And that’s just fine.

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

Honestly, I don't care how the individual trades stack up, but the moves served as a shift into rebuilding as a whole so I'll look it at more has how did the moves as a whole at the deadline pan out?

In the end, if we can get a solid every-day corner outfielder (Diaz), a mid-rotation starter (Kremer), and a couple solid bullpen arms (Pop, Tate), I consider that a win.

On top of that, guys like Bannon, Zimmerman, and Rogers may have a future in some roll.

Honestly, given Manny's expiring contract, the injury questions around Britton and the inconsistent season for Schoop, that's not a terrible deadline, not great, but not terrible.

I agree completely, the problem with the trade was that it happened too late. If even one person per trade turns into a solid producer that will be a victory.

Kremer seems like a winner. I am really interested in the story of how they got him in the fourteenth round. Were they just lucky with him? Did he develop surpassingly well? Or did they see something very specific in him that nobody else saw?

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I don’t understand why Parents name their children “Alexandria Yvonne” and then call them “Alex” if you’re gonna name your kid some thing call them that, and if You’re going to call them some thing simple and two syllables, then just name them that.

My stepson is named Clarence, and everybody calls him Clarence. And that’s just fine.

I named my first son Nathaniel, but we've always called him Nate.  Son #2 is Samuel/Sam.  I'm Jonathan and am usually called Jon.  It's very useful to have a longer version of your name so that parents can call you that when you've screwed up.  If it's really serious they have the option of adding the middle name to the full first name.  Then there's no question it's about to go down.

• Haha 1