Nice to see Hays finishing strong

Frobby

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hays has hit really well since returning from injury and now has an overall slash line of .275/.333/.404 on the season.    Since returning 11 games ago, he’s hitting .400/.442/.675.    Really nice to see after the slow start he had this year.    Hopefully he can stay hot through the weekend.    

Always helps when you hit a 50 mph cookie over the Monster, too.

Bordy?  Is that you?  LOL

Did I really hear, "Valaika, the Raker", from Bordy?  Oh myyyyyyyyy!

• Haha 4

I was thinking the same thing last night.  A good weekend and he may be able to get his OPS close to 800.  

Shame he missed that time.

For all the love Mullins is getting, he is still a sub 700 OPs guy with good but not great defense.  Hays should still be the starter in CF from day 1 and I think he will be.  

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I was thinking the same thing last night.  A good weekend and he may be able to get his OPS close to 800.  

For all the love Mullins is getting, he is still a sub 700 OPs guy with good but not great defense.  Hays should still be the starter in CF from day 1 and I think he will be.  

Agreed.  Good to see both Hays and Mullins putting together a solid season at this level.  I think Mullins has value as a 4th outfielder who can play all 3 positions and provide speed of the bench.  His arm is even worse than advertised though, and it was advertised as serviceable at best.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yeah, Mullins is pretty clearly not a starting MLB outfielder, at least not for a team that hopes to be successful. But Mullins does look like he will hit/bunt enough to be a decent 4th outfielder who can pinchrun and serve as a defensive substitution at all three outfield positions at a reasonable level. 

Considering he didn't look rosterable last year, that is still a pleasant surprise. He will still be making the minimum through 2022 and he still has options, so he provides some flexibility. 

Hopefully Ryan McKenna will hit/bunt well enough to replace Mullins in that role by the end of 2021

9 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Agreed.  Good to see both Hays and Mullins putting together a solid season at this level.  I think Mullins has value as a 4th outfielder who can play all 3 positions and provide speed of the bench.  His arm is even worse than advertised though, and it was advertised as serviceable at best.

Yes, I’m fine (at least entering the 2021 season) with Mullins as your 4th OFer and a speed guy to being off the bench late in games.  

Let’s just stop pretending he has any kind of real upside or that he should be starting, that’s all.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Agree Hays should be the starter.   As to defense, I’d put Mullins’ ability to get to and catch the baseball in the “great” category, Hays more in the “very good” category.  But Hays has a plus arm and Mullins has a minus one.   So overall, I think it’s about a wash as to who’s the better defensive CF, and Hays is the better hitter.    

I think we’ll be seeing a lot of Mullins as a defensive replacement late in games, and occasional starts vs. RHP.    

All he’s gotta do is stay healthy . No injuries next year . He may not be able to sustain a high obp but neither did Adam Jones . I actually like him better in the corner outfield spot and I think that would be better for over the long haul health wise . I like the defensive alignment of Hayes in left , Mullins in center and Santander in right for now . If Mullins can keep hitting I’d like him in that lineup for now .

30 minutes ago, ofan239 said:

All he’s gotta do is stay healthy . No injuries next year . He may not be able to sustain a high obp but neither did Adam Jones . I actually like him better in the corner outfield spot and I think that would be better for over the long haul health wise . I like the defensive alignment of Hayes in left , Mullins in center and Santander in right for now . If Mullins can keep hitting I’d like him in that lineup for now .

Similar to Hunter Harvey, this is the main problem with counting on Hays. I really think he has the talent to be a solid every day major league player, but he needs to prove he can stay healthy over an entire season. He's yet to do that and wasn't even able to get through this mini 60 game season. 

I can see a future outfield though with him back in center regularly. Mullins is better suited as a 4th outfielder than an every day starter, though Mullins is the best defensive center fielder this organization has right now that's major league ready. 

• Upvote 2