The Stars of My Youth Are Dying in Droves

Frobby

On 10/9/2020 at 9:36 PM, Frobby said:

4/6 - Al Kaline

8/31 - Tom Seaver

9/6 - Lou Brock 

10/2 - Bob Gibson 

10/8 - Whitey Ford

These guys were icons in my youth.    Not to mention Frank Robinson (2/7/19), my all-time hero.   It’s making me feel way too old.  

And now Joe Morgan.    

On 10/9/2020 at 9:36 PM, Frobby said:

4/6 - Al Kaline

8/31 - Tom Seaver

9/6 - Lou Brock 

10/2 - Bob Gibson 

10/8 - Whitey Ford

These guys were icons in my youth.    Not to mention Frank Robinson (2/7/19), my all-time hero.   It’s making me feel way too old.  

We are.  Facing mortality stinks. 

On 10/13/2020 at 10:57 AM, Moshagge3 said:

Losing 5 HOFers in the span of two months is kind of amazing mathematically and I would venture to guess is unprecedented. 

Eyeballing the list...

Five HOFers died in 1948 (Tinker, Three-Finger Brown, Hack Wilson, Herb Pennock, Ruth).  Spread from January to November.
Six in 1972 (Zack Wheat, Dave Bancroft, Pie Traynor, Gabby Hartnett, Jackie Robinson, Roberto Clemente). Two in March, the others in October-December.
Five in 1993 (Gehringer, Dickey, Mize, Campanella, Drysdale).  Mize, Campanella and Drysdale died within a month of one another, the others spread out.

Six so far this year.

(Note: After running this query I realized that it's missing anyone who didn't go into the Hall strictly as a MLB player.  I noticed Candy Cummings and Harry Wright were not included, dug a little deeper, and see that it's only players inducted as players, not pioneers, Negro Leaguers, executives, managers, etc.  So the results may be slightly different including these other people.)

So, approaching it from a different angle I got complete data.  We can add:

1951, five. (Heilmann, Eddie Collins, Smokey Joe Williams, Pete Hill, and Bill Klem)
1954, five. (Bill McGowen, Oscar Charleston, Rabbit Maranville, Chief Bender, and Hugh Duffy)
1971, five. (Martin Dihigo, Heinie Manush, Goose Goslin, Will Harridge, and Elmer Flick)
1972 adds George Weiss who died in August. So August-December five HOFers died.
1978 five. (Gordon, Foster, Frick, Haines, McCarthy)
1984, five (Alston, Cronin, Hoyt, High Pockets Kelly, Coveleski)
1989, five (Gomez, Willie Wells, Judy Johnson, Jocko Conlan, Bill Terry)

I should be doing work, so I'm not looking up exact dates of death for this last batch.  But I'll just say that five in two months is unusual.

And in case you're wondering, the HOFer who has been dead longest is William Hulbert, one of the organizers of the NL in 1876 and its 2nd president, who died in 1882. He also holds the record for most elapsed time between death and induction at 113 years.  42 HOFers died before the first HOF election in 1936.

Sandy Koufax is still alive and was inducted in 1972, making him the person with the longest living tenure as a HOFer at 49 years.  He just passed the late Bob Feller in the last year.

• 1 month later...

o

Lindy McDaniel died. 

McDaniel was one month short of his 85th birthday. The cause of death was the COVID virus.

I remember McDaniel when he pitched for the Yankees in the early 70's. He pitched for 21 Major League seasons, from 1955 through 1975.

The versatile McDaniel won 141 games, was credited with 174 Saves, led the National League in Saves 3 times (1959, 1960, and 1963), and led the National League in Winning Percentage in 1960 (.750.) In 1970 at the age of 34 he had 29 Saves, a 2.01 ERA, and an 0.994 WHIP for the 2nd-Place Yankees (93-69.)

o

• 2 weeks later...

o

In addition to winning the American League MVP award in 1972, Allen won the NL Rookie of the Year award in 1964.

Allen was a 7-time All Star in 1965, 1966, 1967, 1970, 1972, 1973, and 1974.

In his rookie season in 1964, Allen led the league in Triples (13), Runs Scored (125), and Total Bases (352.)

Allen won 2 HR Titles (1972 and 1974), and 1 RBI title (1972.)

Allen led the league in OBP 2 times (1967 and 1972), led the league in SLG% 3 times (1966, 1972, and 1974), and OPS 4 times (1966, 1967, 1972, and 1974.)

Dick Allen, Chicago White Sox Legend Who Won American League MVP Honors in 1972, Dies at 78

(By Paul Sullivan and Paul Skrbina)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/white-sox/ct-chicago-white-sox-dick-allen-died-20201207-zyhngctlgjdq5mzhuq37wnrpmq-story.html

o

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And it continues in 2021.   Tommy Lasorda passes away at age 93.   He lived to see the Dodgers win another championship (He made the trip to Texas for it).

Had been hospitalized for almost two months from November to early January, came home last week.   Had a heart attack at home today.