1. 1. Who are the #5 and #6 Prospects?

• Baumann and Hall
    • Hall and Baumann
    • Hall and Henderson
    • Henderson and Hall
    • Henderson and Baumann

This poll is closed to new votes

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think this is sad.   So DL Hall will fall from 3 to 5-7.   The O's rebuild depends on the O's developing front of the rotation starters.   Hall falling does not bode well for the rebuild IMO.

It’s rare for you to put a negative spin on things.    Mountcastle made it to the majors and performed very well.    Kjerstad was the no. 2 pick in the whole draft.   The fact that those two jumped over Hall is not necessarily a negative.   To the extent that Hall had some issues with control and command at Bowie this summer, that’s a negative but you can also see it as a growth experience for him, jumping from facing Carolina League hitters to facing very experienced hitters.    And, the fact that Baumann (who is closer to the majors anyway) is challenging him is a positive.    I find it encouraging that Baumann ranks ahead of Akin and Kremer, who debuted pretty well this season and still qualify as prospects.   

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s rare for you to put a negative spin on things.    Mountcastle made it to the majors and performed very well.    Kjerstad was the no. 2 pick in the whole draft.   The fact that those two jumped over Hall is not necessarily a negative.   To the extent that Hall had some issues with control and command at Bowie this summer, that’s a negative but you can also see it as a growth experience for him, jumping from facing Carolina League hitters to facing very experienced hitters.    And, the fact that Baumann (who is closer to the majors anyway) is challenging him is a positive.    I find it encouraging that Baumann ranks ahead of Akin and Kremer, who debuted pretty well this season and still qualify as prospects.   

I guess I am not up to speed on Baumann.   Last I knew there was still a question if he would be a starter or a reliever.  Relievers don't normally rate as high as starters.

I have always thought that  a team goes as far as the pitching will take it.  GrayRod and Hall have been the two leading pitching prospect to be  TOR starters whether that is as No. 1s or 2s.  To see Hall fall back does not seem like good news to me.  It would be better if both young pitchers were moving up in the ratings.

While I think Elias pitching development has shown good results, I am concerned that Elias has not added highly rated pitching prospects since he arrived.    He bypassed Asa Lacy for an outfielder and a couple of high schoolers with the #2 pick.  That may be a great move as some look at it but since I believe the top ranked pitching drives a rebuild, its not good news to me that Elias isn't adding and Hall is falling back.

I am not saying that Tony is wrong with his ranking.  I am just commenting on what the rankings mean to me.

Hall was a high school pitcher so I'm not surprised that there are some ups and downs.  If we develop a solid lineup through the draft I'll be very pleased.  We also have an improving international pipeline and eventually, when the time comes, free agency to add to the rotation.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I guess I am not up to speed on Baumann.   Last I knew there was still a question if he would be a starter or a reliever.  Relievers don't normally rate as high as starters.

I have always thought that  a team goes as far as the pitching will take it.  GrayRod and Hall have been the two leading pitching prospect to be  TOR starters whether that is as No. 1s or 2s.  To see Hall fall back does not seem like good news to me.  It would be better if both young pitchers were moving up in the ratings.

On Baumann, I’ll wait to see what Tony reports he heard.   What I heard from Matt Blood’s interview on Inside the Yard was that Baumann had developed a very good curve over the offseason, to complement his fastball and slider that were already plus pitches.   So, I think the “reliever risk” with him has been greatly reduced.   It will be interesting to hear what Tony has been told about that.   

As to Hall, I’m not going to pretend I’m not worried about his apparent deficiencies in control and command.   I’m less worried about the fact that he got moved down the list than I am that he has some issues to address.

I’ve never been a guy who thinks a good pitcher is more important than having a good a good position player.   They’re both important.   Honestly, the impact of one good pitcher is shrinking because they throw fewer and fewer innings, whereas the good position players are getting the same playing time as always.   

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think this is sad.   So DL Hall will fall from 3 to 5-7.   The O's rebuild depends on the O's developing front of the rotation starters.   Hall falling does not bode well for the rebuild IMO.

Why is this sad? The fact that Hall with all his potential can fall behind other prospects shows the depth of the system in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

On Baumann, I’ll wait to see what Tony reports he heard.   What I heard from Matt Blood’s interview on Inside the Yard was that Baumann had developed a very good curve over the offseason, to complement his fastball and slider that were already plus pitches.   So, I think the “reliever risk” with him has been greatly reduced.   It will be interesting to hear what Tony has been told about that.   

As to Hall, I’m not going to pretend I’m not worried about his apparent deficiencies in control and command.   I’m less worried about the fact that he got moved down the list than I am that he has some issues to address.

I’ve never been a guy who thinks a good pitcher is more important than having a good a good position player.   They’re both important.   Honestly, the impact of one good pitcher is shrinking because they throw fewer and fewer innings, whereas the good position players are getting the same playing time as always.   

On top of it, it seems like Elias may be following the Houston model which is to develop the hitters and then trade for the arms when there ready and or established. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but his lack of drafting pitchers early suggests this.

• Upvote 1

This will be a very strong top 10.  Perhaps the best since I have been following the system.  There were  few years around 2010 when a lot of first rounders were in the system, but Snyder, Rowell, Hobgood, Ryan Adams, Liz and others did not pan out. We did have Matusz, Britton, Arrietta, Reimold, Liz, Beato in the system at the same time.  Not sure I can recall when we had four or five guys highly likely to be major league regulars - AR, RM, Kjerstad, Henderson, Westburg and several others with legit chances - Hall, Stowers, Diaz.  Couple that with two top 100 SPs in GrayRod and Hall to go with Baumann, Akin, Lowther and others - Bradish, Kevin Smith, Rom. 

It will be a strong top 10 and the system has more depth IMO than ever before including an entire international class, trades for about a third of another international class plus the $1M bonus babies from the 2020 draft - Mayo and Baumler.  When the 2020 J2 class signs, we will have another class including multiple top 40 guys signed.  

It is a strong system with a lot of upside IMO.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Why is this sad? The fact that Hall with all his potential can fall behind other prospects shows the depth of the system in my opinion. 

I guess that depends on whether DL Hall is progressing as he needs to maintain his status as a top of the rotation starter (a #1 or #2)?  If he is not achieving that progress or  regressing that would be sad.  

Falling on the list seems to indicate that he is not progressing as fast as other prospects at the very least.