Alex Fast: An Introduction to CSW Rate

weams

https://www.pitcherlist.com/csw-rate-an-intro-to-an-important-new-metric/

What I love most about CSW rate isn’t its correlation to K% or SIERA, but that it was born of a community. Daren Willman put the data out, Nick Pollack noticed it and created the metric, I tried my best to flesh it out to see if it was pertinent. Colin Charles helped immensely by being an R wizard and compiling countless rows and columns of data while Travis Petersen provided pivotal advice. Dave Cherman provided super helpful feedback and now guys like Jason Johnson, a guy I know solely from Twitter, are taking the next step. The stat isn’t Pitcher List’s. It’s ours.

Here is the link for all of the data that I have compiled so far. You can check this spreadsheet every day for CSW leaderboards, a full log of every pitcher’s CSW rate from every performance and more. Enjoy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure why foul tips that end up caught are included.  They aren't suggesting that's a skill are they?

Not of the catcher, but I think the metric is trying to judge that as "close enough" crediting a pitcher for making a batter miss.

Various Pitcher List guests on Paul Sporer's (and other I am sure) podcast have described this for awhile, but not with Alex Fast "behold!" rigor.

Akin's good Yankees outing got the daily Called Strikes + Whiffs prize. https://www.pitcherlist.com/akin-to-an-ace/

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just don't see the logic in giving credit to a pitcher because the catcher held onto a foul tip.

The rest of this makes a lot of sense.

I think it’s probably more for pragmatic reasons.    Is there even data available for caught foul tips?    I don’t know that they are actually recorded, or if they are, how accurately they are recorded.