• Tyler Henson
    • David Hernandez
    • LJ Hoes
    • Chorye Spoone

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it weren't for the injury, this would be Spoone (actually he'd be #5 or #6), but his injury scares me. Until he proves he can pitch AFTER his surgery, I think he falls to at least #10.

On the other hand, Hernandez emerged big time this year as a legit ML prospect. If he could put it all together (control, control, control), he could be a #2 starter IMO. If he doesn't, I think think he will be a least a very good reliever or maybe back of the rotation starter.

I feel like Hernandez has a better chance of making it than Hoes and Britton simply because he's done it at a higher level EXTREMELY successfully. Hoes and Britton could both end up better than him, but I think it's too early to say that with a lot of confidence.

Henson is just not the 8th best prospect in our system. He's around #13-15 IMO.

The pick should be Hernandez.

Spoone is the best prospect in this group regardless of the injury.

Although this time next year, Hoes has a good shot at being the best in this group.

I'd say that's right if Spoone doesn't recover. I'm not sure there are "strides" to be made in Hoes's game that would push him ahead of a healthy Spoone.

Maybe I'm a pessimist but here are my odds on Spoone:

Comes back as good as new: 25%

Comes back well enough to reach the majors eventually, but not where he was: 25%

Injury impedes him to the point where he never throws a major league pitch: 50%

Comes back well enough to reach the majors eventually, but not where he was: 25%

Don't count him out yet fellas! Those of you that are. You have no idea the drive and determination he has. He progress so far is excellent....

Don't count him out yet fellas! Those of you that are. You have no idea the drive and determination he has. He progress so far is excellent....

Oh, trust us - no one here is thinking any failure to come all the way back will be due to a lack of willpower. It's just that shoulder surgery is a scary thing.

And determination can only take you so far. After all, we watched Adam Loewen pitch until his arm couldn't structurally take it. And his determination was - like Chorye's - beyond reproach.

We all wish your son well. For a lot of us, not getting to track his development this offseason was one of our bigger disappointments. Nothing, though, I'm sure, compared to his disappointment w/ the injury.

Ok, I'm going to make it easier on you guys and NOT put Erbe in at #8 because he's not at number 8. However, it'll be interesting to see who you guys vote as number 8 without him in the poll.

Protest time. I decided not to vote. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I think Erbe is more likely, to have a good major league career than any player on this list, except Hoes. He's three years younger than Hernandez; doesn't have the serious injury history of Spoone; has performed at a higher level than Britton at the virtually the same exact age, and with over a strike out per inning, again better than Britton; and again, at a higher level than Henson (who hit .265 this year) at the same age.

Having said that, the odds are against me because there are five of them. But, I didn't see Erbe do anything wrong this season to get dumped this far from where he was last year. I'm beginning to think he peed in Tony's Cornflakes!:D Actually, I know better than that. We just disagree on his potential. Great thing is, over the next season or two, we'll see.

Welcome to the Hangout.

Chorye should bounce back well, and we all look forward to his continued success and eventual role on the ML staff. :)

Ok, with that for a backdrop, could you offer your opinion on Albers and Patton chances to make the team in spring training?

We all wish Chorye the best, if he can return to his pre-injury form, the sky is the limit for him.

Ok, with that for a backdrop, could you offer your opinion on Albers and Patton chances to make the team in spring training?

I should preface this by saying (to you and to Chorye's mom) that I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Well, not last night, but once. Well, actually it was just a regular Holiday Inn..... ;)

That said, I rank Albers' chances at 67%, because (1) he's already made the team before, and (2) he didn't require surgery and all reports are that his rehab has gone well. Ponson and Loewen both had labrum problems that didn't require surgery, and went on to pitch in the big leagues, so the odds are in favor of Albers pitching. How well? We will see.

I rank Patton's chances of making the team in spring training at at 10% or less. He had surgery, and he hasn't pitched in a year, and even if he'd been healthy last year the odds are that he would have started the year in the minors. I rank the odds that he will eventually reach the majors again at 50%. After all, he did have surgery, and even though he reported that he was feeling 100%, you just never know.

As to Chorye, I should add that I have no idea how serious his labrum issues are, how extensive any surgery was/will be, and what his doctors ahve told him about his prognosis. I was purely guessing.

Id be pretty disappointed if the pick were Spoone. I've never been that high on Spoone. His strikeout rate is not high enough for what his walk rate has been. Hes not a guy like David Hernandez that strikes out over 11 per 9 and walks a lot. I have to say I don't know a ton about him but after the injury, I would be surprised if he was in the top 10. Hes 23, and by the time he comes back he'll be close to 24, and then he'll most likely need to pitch in AAA, which could mean he doesnt make it to the orioles until age 25, close to 26

That said, there isn't really anyone else I put here. If I had to choose, I would put Britton here because I like his approach and he's always improving his game. I look forward to seeing him next year.

second choice would be Hoes. I was incredibly impressed with this kid's plate discipline. Low K numbers, high walks and gap power. I'd like to see if he can transform his power to 12-15 homers a year. I can definitely say I'm excited about that kid.

Archived