Orioles make sense for Schwarber....but does it make sense for the Orioles?

Roll Tide

I don't want to see us break the bank too early, but I have to admit, if we've got another couple years of "stockpiling talent" at least Schwarber is worth the price of admission for batting practice (if you're into that) and it will be fun watching his at-bats to see if we can finally have someone hit the warehouse.  

I don't see the appeal of a defensively limited 28-year-old with a career slash line of .230/.336/.480.  The Orioles have access to any number of players fitting that general mold for the MLB minimum.  I mean, I guess if you could get him for $1m but he's still taking playing time from similar players already here.

And Chris Shaw turned 27 in October, he's not a long term anything besides maybe down-ballot International League All Star candidate.

• Upvote 3

He’s a fit in the same way Nunez was a fit. There are several injury prone players on this team who could be getting DH at bats.  If you want a dedicated DH with a healthy past (I’m making more of a general point, not necessarily Schwarber whom I don’t know about his injury history off the top of my head), you can justify that player on this roster for the time being.

But since Elias didnt feel that way about Nunez, I can’t imagine he would about Schwarber so I agree that there isn’t a fit here.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

D.J. Stewart and Nunez's jump in salary for 2021 are the reason he's not here.  Schwarber hasn't been any good for 2-3 years.  That fact and D.J. Stewart are the reason he shouldn't be signed.   I don't believe Elias said there won't be a full time DH.  I believe that's a job that can be earned.

DJ Stewart shouldn’t be a reason anyone isn’t signed.  He hasn’t earned that at all.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

DJ Stewart shouldn’t be a reason anyone isn’t signed.  He hasn’t earned that at all.

I suppose not, but it’s striking how similar his offensive profile is to Schwarber’s.

Stewart: .224/.334/.433

Schwarber: .230/.336/.480

A bit more power from Schwarber, otherwise pretty much the same guy.   Neither one is anything to write home about in the field.   

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I suppose not, but it’s striking how similar his offensive profile is to Schwarber’s.

A bit more power from Schwarber, otherwise pretty much the same guy.   Neither one is anything to write home about in the field.   

Where is your sense of adventure?   Stewart makes every ball hit to him exciting.   And after the play you get to exhale. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yep although that power difference is huge.