DJ Stewart vs Chris Shaw

wildcard

2 hours ago, owknows said:

Minor League Career Numbers

Shaw 18.2 AB/HR, .861 OPS, 28% SO Rate

Stewart 27.5 AB/HR, .790 OPS, 23 % SO Rate

Two of those seasons were in the PCL. STewart spent a great deal of time in Harbor Park. Stewart’s ML numbers are far superior as well (nearly double the OPS). 

In 2019, for example, the PCL had an AVERAGE OPS of .831, while the international league was .787. Stewart has a .944 AAA OPS in that 2019 season. Shaw was similar, but again, more friendly environment. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Stewart’s ML numbers are far superior as well (nearly double the OPS). 

Shaw has 72 scattered Major League AB's.

Stewart has 254.

Thought their MiLB numbers were more indicative of their potential. Even considering league differences.

Maybe we'll find out.

On 12/19/2020 at 11:25 PM, BohKnowsBmore said:

Two of those seasons were in the PCL. STewart spent a great deal of time in Harbor Park. Stewart’s ML numbers are far superior as well (nearly double the OPS). 

In 2019, for example, the PCL had an AVERAGE OPS of .831, while the international league was .787. Stewart has a .944 AAA OPS in that 2019 season. Shaw was similar, but again, more friendly environment. 

Thanks for confirming what I suspected that Shaw did time in the PCL. Meanwhile Stewart played games in Norfolk, where it’s a very hitter unfriendly. 

2 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Stewart has already shown the ability to get on base at pretty solid clip at the Major League level (12.6% MLB career walk rate and 20 BBs in 112 PAs in 2020), so I'd like to see if the average and power show up consistently over 500 ABs but YMMV.

This is why I’m pulling for Stewart, I’m a huge fan of players that can work the pitch counts and get on base. 

Maybe Stewart can’t do it consistently over a full season, but the time to find out is in 2021. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Maybe Stewart can’t do it consistently over a full season, but the time to find out is in 2021. 

I think it's a pretty darn good sign that DJ has drawn 38 walks right out of the gate in his first 301 PAs since it generally seems like plate discipline takes a little while to really show at the big league level, and while we are talking about SSS's, his walk rate has been above the league average in all 3 of his partial MLB seasons. I don't think it's too crazy to think that it's probably not a mirage, it's just a matter of whether the rest of his offensive game is strong enough to offset his poor defense (or warrant giving him the lion's share of the starts at DH), which I think requires giving him a season's worth of more or less everyday ABs. 

Considering that we should be a strong contender for the first overall pick in the 2022 draft, this seems like the perfect time to give him the extended season-long look that he has not gotten so far in his MLB career.

• Upvote 2

On 12/19/2020 at 5:19 PM, Can_of_corn said:

He did.

But folks sure seem to like to harp on that one in particular. 

I guess they think it's funny.  I never find it funny when a player gets injured on a play but tastes vary.

You probably didn't laugh in The Naked Gun where the tiger mauled the outfielder either.  And Mel Allen said "How About That!"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1