SS target: Wily Adames

Sports Guy

The team currently has no starting 2nd basemen, no SS, no 3rd Basemen (with no close top prospects at those positions) and a rotation full of young unproven guys so I don't get the point of giving up prospects to fill just one of those holes. 

If they make a trade I'd rather they move Santander (hoping that Diaz can fill his spot)  for a package that includes an infielder and other prospects

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol...no, you just are completely overrating the situation, per usual.

Adames is a good player but the return you are talking about is for a perennial AS.  He’s not that.  He’s not close to that.  Maybe he will become it but he has a ways to go to get to that level.

The Rays have no reason to trade him.   He would be good at any number of positions. So their hand will have to be forced with a great offer to get him.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

If the Rays trade him, zero chance they get even a top 30 guy for him...maybe, they get a top 50 guy but even that is a stretch.

That is, of course, assuming he stays on the same level he is now.  What he is now is not a player that warrants that type of return.  

The O's should be all over that if they can get him without losing a top 30 prospect. Im skeptical he's even available though. 

53 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The Rays have no reason to trade him.   He would be good at any number of positions. So their hand will have to be forced with a great offer to get him.  

As I said, they certainly could move him to third.  But again they have 3 prospects in the top 5 that are second/SS guys and all are highly rated guys overall.

They don’t need to trade him now but they may have to trade him soon because Tampa will not keep the more expensive option.  That is what their history tells you.

12 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

The O's should be all over that if they can get him without losing a top 30 prospect. Im skeptical he's even available though. 

When I meant top 30, I meant overall across baseball.

WC said AR ( #2) and GRod, who has been a top 30ish guy recently.  That’s absurd to think that.  That’s the type of package you give up for an MVP level talent.  

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

As I said, they certainly could move him to third.  But again they have 3 prospects in the top 5 that are second/SS guys and all are highly rated guys overall.

They don’t need to trade him now but they may have to trade him soon because Tampa will not keep the more expensive option.  That is what their history tells you.

He will not even hit arbitration until after the 2021 season.  They could easily move him to the outfield and keep for his first arbitration season.   So a trade before the 2023 season would fit the way the Rays do business.

By that time Henderson may be ready for SS.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He will not even hit arbitration until after the 2021 season.  They could easily move him to the outfield and keep for his first arbitration season.   So a trade before the 2023 season would fit the way the Rays do business.

By that time Henderson may be ready for SS.

Sure they could do that..but that’s not what that organization does.  They don’t diminish the value of a player.  They trade guys “early” all the time.

I think it’s more likely they keep him than trade him this offseason but it’s risky if he struggles this year. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hilarious.   Fangraphs last summer ranked AR as having the 41st highest trade value of any player in organized baseball.   Wily Adames was not on the list.  

Pay attention.  Here is what I was responding to:

Im curious what prospects they would want in return."

The Rays have no reason to trade Adames.  If the O's go after him they will ask for the moon. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The Rays have no reason to trade Adames.  If the O's go after him they will ask for the moon. 

I'm not getting into this conversation but I have to use this line.

The Rays can ask for the moon but Adley is a star.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well, you are wrong to say they have no reason to trade him.  Wander Franco is plenty of reason.

However, I think it’s fair to assume (or at least it should be) that if they were inclined to trade him and the Os got involved, that the deal wouldn’t be close to what you said.

We are discussing this within the realm of reality of trade negotiations and the value of the player.  

2 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

The team currently has no starting 2nd basemen, no SS, no 3rd Basemen (with no close top prospects at those positions) and a rotation full of young unproven guys so I don't get the point of giving up prospects to fill just one of those holes. 

If they make a trade I'd rather they move Santander (hoping that Diaz can fill his spot)  for a package that includes an infielder and other prospects

Its ok we will draft another under slot outfielder 

An Adames trade is coming but maybe not this year...the Week 2 Franco thing (bicep strain, poor EV, is Adley really #1?) may be squishy.   I am sure in time because I doubt they will want to pay him beyond Club3/Arb1.   They might commit to both of them as 3B/SS.   I think in the wake of the Snell deal BJ Upton was mentioned as the only Ray ever to play out all his years of club control.

They are excellent at what they do but I don't worry much that Peak Rutschman Teams could never eclipse them.  I would if they spent like Angelos on the Buck teams, never mind the Dodgers.

Andres Gimenez unseating Amed Rosario is the Buy Low SS I'd be calling about before Galvis-ing, and until they aren't Orioles there's the whole Maikel Franco, Travis Shaw, Jurickson Profar, Scooter Gennett talent tier in the minor league deal to maybe $5M range.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, you are wrong to say they have no reason to trade him.  Wander Franco is plenty of reason.

However, I think it’s fair to assume (or at least it should be) that if they were inclined to trade him and the Os got involved, that the deal wouldn’t be close to what you said.

We are discussing this within the realm of reality of trade negotiations and the value of the player.  

Franco only means they may move him off shortstop.  No that they would trade him.

27 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Franco only means they may move him off shortstop.  No that they would trade him.

It means that they will move him off of the position where his value is the highest.

They certainly could move him to a new position but unless his bat improves, his value drops a lot if he goes elsewhere.