Beyond the 2020 Top 30

Tony-OH

Enjoyed the article.

If the O's need a roster spot I think they will  put Goudeau through waivers to try to get him to AAA.  A 28 year old, 27th round pick that has never done well passed AA.

And I think Shaw is a former 1st round pick with a lot of power.  The O's are at least going to want to see him in ST to see what Don Long can do with him.

JMO

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Enjoyed the article.

If the O's need a roster spot I think they will  put Goudeau through waivers to try to get him to AAA.  A 28 year old, 27th round pick that has never done well passed AA.

And I think Shaw is a former 1st round pick with a lot of power.  The O's are at least going to want to see him in ST to see what Don Long can do with him.

JMO

I wonder if Lopez and Goudeau are here to buy an extra year of service time for Baumann and Lowther (and Wells and Smith).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

I wonder if Lopez and Goudeau are here to buy an extra year of service time for Baumann and Lowther (and Wells and Smith).

I don't think any of the names you mentioned are call up and keep up guys.  I think it very unlikely that the O's are worried about who Wells is pitching for in seven years.

1 hour ago, VaBird1 said:

Well, maybe for Baumann and Lowther but I think Elias is looking for a cheap veteran starter that is better than either Lopez or Goudeau.    Injuries happen and its not just the #5 starter that needs to have a back up.

I look for Goudeau to be waived and outrighted to make room on the 40 man roster when Elias signs a SS.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think any of the names you mentioned are call up and keep up guys.  I think it very unlikely that the O's are worried about who Wells is pitching for in seven years.

As to the latter sentence, you just never know.   The O’s apparently weren’t holding their breath on Zach Davies, but he overcame the challenges of having below average FB velocity and almost every team in the majors could use a guy like him in their rotation.    The odds that Wells turns out to be another Davies are probably only 20% or so, but they’re not negligible.     The guy has had success at every MiL stop, and that’s not something that should be ignored.   

Saying that, I doubt the O’s will be gaming his service time.    

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As to the latter sentence, you just never know.   The O’s apparently weren’t holding their breath on Zach Davies, but he overcame the challenges of having below average FB velocity and almost every team in the majors could use a guy like him in their rotation.    The odds that Wells turns out to be another Davies are probably only 20% or so, but they’re not negligible.     The guy has had success at every MiL stop, and that’s not something that should be ignored.   

Saying that, I doubt the O’s will be gaming his service time.    

I think you misplaced your decimal point.

You don't actually think that Wells has a one in five chance of racking up 10 career rWAR do you?

2 hours ago, VaBird1 said:

I think we see Baumann this year, but could see also one or two of the other three depending on need and how they are pitching at AAA. Baumann will be 25 years old and was reportedly the most dominant pitcher at the alternate site last year. Had he not gotten injured, I think he would have made his debut last year. Due to his age (he'll be 31 when he's eligible for free agency under the current system) I don't think the Orioles hold him back. It would not surprise me if he wins a rotation spot this spring. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Well, maybe for Baumann and Lowther but I think Elias is looking for a cheap veteran starter that is better than either Lopez or Goudeau.    Injuries happen and its not just the #5 starter that needs to have a back up.

I look for Goudeau to be waived and outrighted to make room on the 40 man roster when Elias signs a SS.

I hope not. The Orioles have Akin, Kremer, Zimmermann, and Baumann all ready for major league opportunities behind Means and Cobb in the rotation. With Kevin Smith, Zac Lowther and Alex Wells all guys that should be at AAA this season and if they pitch well, could be worth giving opportunities as well. 

I don't think Lopez or Goudeau will be in the rotation, and I really doubt Elias that Elias is worried about bringing in a Milone-type of guy unless it's on a minor league contract and if a slew of injuries requires a veteran to take some starts until the latter guys are ready.

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I hope not. The Orioles have Akin, Kremer, Zimmermann, and Baumann all ready for major league opportunities behind Means and Cobb in the rotation. With Kevin Smith, Zac Lowther and Alex Wells all guys that should be at AAA this season and if they pitch well, could be worth giving opportunities as well. 

I don't think Lopez or Goudeau will be in the rotation, and I really doubt Elias that Elias is worried about bringing in a Milone-type of guy unless it's on a minor league contract and if a slew of injuries requires a veteran to take some starts until the latter guys are ready.

I don't think Elias will wait until the season begins, have a lot of injuries to the pitching staff and then go look for a veteran starter.  I think he does add a veteran on a minor league contract probably with an opt date.   That is what he did with Milone and LeBlanc last season.

Zimmermann is on the bubble of being in the rotation vs beginning the season at AAA IMO.   He needs a good spring to go north with the O's.

Enjoyed the article. Curious to see some of these guys like Welk, Watson, Stowers and Ortiz play after the year layoff. It was a costly year for the 2019 draftees, in particular.

Minor correction that Zach Watson was a junior at LSU in 2019 when drafted. He was a draft-eligible sophomore in 2018. He will be 24 on June 25.