Update: Matt Harvey added to 40-man roster

MurphDogg

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

My expectations were higher for Hernandez than Harvey, but Harvey looks more like a (mediocre) MLB starter at this point than Hernandez does.

Agree. It also seems like Harvey is pretty committed to the adjustments the Os are suggesting. That said, I want to see Hernandez's next outing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Agree. It also seems like Harvey is pretty committed to the adjustments the Os are suggesting.

Yeah, Harvey has long been a guy that would seemingly benefit from a change of scenery, but he has done an awful lot of scenery changing in the last three years without any positive result.

Maybe he is finally healthy for the first time in 5 years and is committed to making it back.

I still can’t see why anyone would continue to prefer Harvey or Hernandez.

Means, Akin, Zimmermann, Kremer.

Now we consider LeBlanc, Lopez, Valdez, Greene, and Wells. Only Lopez and LeBlanc are definitely considered starters, but if you carry Felix and Harvey, you have to cut at least one of those guys, even with Hunter H on the IL. 

Scott, Armstrong, Fry, are locks, of course, and probably Sulser, but Tate has done well, too.

none of these guys is a world-beater, but I wouldn’t prefer Felix or M Harvey over any of them. IF M Harvey were just blowing everybody away, then sure. But he’s mediocre at most, and nobody is going to offer anything for him.

I would rather give younger pitchers the experience with the big club, since they are our future.  Wasting time and resources on hasbeens, even if you are lucky and they give you 5-10 wins this year is absurd. Or maybe it is being done to hopefully improve the W-L record for 2021,  to make club officials resumes look  ever so teeny weenie better at the expense of the youngsters, or other irrational reasons.   

23 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

I would rather give younger pitchers the experience with the big club, since they are our future.  Wasting time and resources on hasbeens, even if you are lucky and they give you 5-10 wins this year is absurd. Or maybe it is being done to hopefully improve the W-L record for 2021,  to make club officials resumes look  ever so teeny weenie better at the expense of the youngsters, or other irrational reasons.   

The last two weeks of ST will get harder.   We will have to wait to see who performs.   That said Elias will want to keep as many good starters in the organization as he can.   Injuries happen all the time.   One pitch can be a pitcher's last for a while.  Just like Hunter Harvey.

I hope everyone does well and the decisions are hard on Elias and Hyde.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Agree. It also seems like Harvey is pretty committed to the adjustments the Os are suggesting. That said, I want to see Hernandez's next outing.

Has this been reported anywhere?  I'd be curious to read about what adjustments the O's have suggested he work on.  The only thing I have seen is that video of him spending a couple days at that pitching place before he was signed.

Perhaps Felix Hernandez, Matt Harvey and Fernando Abad make the team out of Spring Training. Or maybe one or two go to Norfolk for a few weeks, keep working on things and see what happens before potentially opting out. It isn't likely, but maybe Felix, in particular, agrees to see if the velo comes back some with a little more time working into game shape.

I admit that Felix is not looking even mediocre at the moment. But the Orioles will give him every opportunity to earn a spot. A lot can happen in two weeks. Matt Harvey and his new 2-seam may have elevated his chances today from the radio account of today's game. Count me in the group that thinks Matt Harvey has looked better than Felix, so far. The Orioles want M. Harvey and Felix to mentor the young guys and re-establish their value for trades, best case scenario. 

I still think LeBlanc is on the outside looking in, and he is strictly a fall back option right now. I think Zimmermann is still in the pen to start, unless they move Akin to the pen, which may be his best place long term. 

5 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Perhaps Felix Hernandez, Matt Harvey and Fernando Abad make the team out of Spring Training. Or maybe one or two go to Norfolk for a few weeks, keep working on things and see what happens before potentially opting out. It isn't likely, but maybe Felix, in particular, agrees to see if the velo comes back some with a little more time working into game shape.

I admit that Felix is not looking even mediocre at the moment. But the Orioles will give him every opportunity to earn a spot. A lot can happen in two weeks. Matt Harvey and his new 2-seam may have elevated his chances today from the radio account of today's game. Count me in the group that thinks Matt Harvey has looked better than Felix, so far. The Orioles want M. Harvey and Felix to mentor the young guys and re-establish their value for trades, best case scenario. 

I still think LeBlanc is on the outside looking in, and he is strictly a fall back option right now. I think Zimmermann is still in the pen to start, unless they move Akin to the pen, which may be his best place long term. 

Just a nit here.   No one is going to Norfolk after major league ST.  The alternate site will be in Bowie and the will be 24 to 26 players there in April.  Games at Norfolk begin in May.  Other then that I agree with your statement.

57 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

I think the staff will change as the year progresses.   We are buying a little time for Lowther, Baumann and Wells to get some AAA experience, and the 1-2 of those who prove the most ready will be inserted into our rotation at some point during the season.   I’m fine with that.   Next year, I will not expect to see any retreads in our rotation, but if we have 1-2 for a few months this season, so be it.   I’m really glad to see Zimmermann pressing his case for a rotation spot.   

30 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Has this been reported anywhere?  I'd be curious to read about what adjustments the O's have suggested he work on.  The only thing I have seen is that video of him spending a couple days at that pitching place before he was signed.

Matt Harvey just gave an interview that answers your questions.   Worth the time to listen.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the staff will change as the year progresses.   We are buying a little time for Lowther, Baumann and Wells to get some AAA experience, and the 1-2 of those who prove the most ready will be inserted into our rotation at some point during the season.   I’m fine with that.   Next year, I will not expect to see any retreads in our rotation, but if we have 1-2 for a few months this season, so be it.   I’m really glad to see Zimmermann pressing his case for a rotation spot.   

Matt Harvey with 94-96 four seamer, a sink, slider and curve sounds awesome.   He was a 1st round prospect that was really good for a while.   Sounds like Holt and company have him on the right track.   If he could team with Means, Kremer, Zimmerman and pick who else this could get real interesting real fast.

List to the Matt Harvey interview I just post in this thread.

Also listen to what he says about Franco.  He was a teammate last year and has pitched against him for years.