Update: Matt Harvey added to 40-man roster

MurphDogg

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Interesting, how come?  It was the opposite for me.  Harvey still has some velocity while Hernandez doesn't.  

Harvey hasn't shown anything in years and the thoracic outlet syndrome has been a career ender in the past.

Hernandez supposedly looked good last year at spring training and was set to make the Braves rotation.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Matt Harvey with 94-96 four seamer, a sink, slider and curve sounds awesome.   He was a 1st round prospect that was really good for a while.   Sounds like Holt and company have him on the right track.   If he could team with Means, Kremer, Zimmerman and pick who else this could get real interesting real fast.

List to the Matt Harvey interview I just post in this thread.

Also listen to what he says about Franco.  He was a teammate last year and has pitched against him for years.

Please don't feed Moose's opinions.

Dude was drafted in 2010 what relevance is his draft status?

If he signed in 2007 as a third round pick would he be less highly regarded now?

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Harvey hasn't shown anything in years and the thoracic outlet syndrome has been a career ender in the past.

Hernandez supposedly looked good last year at spring training and was set to make the Braves rotation.

I doubt Hernandez was throw 94-96 last year.  Harvey and Holt could be a match that helps Harvey get back to where he once was.

This will be all over the O's news in the next day.  What Harvey said.  What Hyde said about Harvey's work with Holt and Holmes.

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

Perhaps Felix Hernandez, Matt Harvey and Fernando Abad make the team out of Spring Training. Or maybe one or two go to Norfolk for a few weeks, keep working on things and see what happens before potentially opting out. It isn't likely, but maybe Felix, in particular, agrees to see if the velo comes back some with a little more time working into game shape.

I admit that Felix is not looking even mediocre at the moment. But the Orioles will give him every opportunity to earn a spot. A lot can happen in two weeks. Matt Harvey and his new 2-seam may have elevated his chances today from the radio account of today's game. Count me in the group that thinks Matt Harvey has looked better than Felix, so far. The Orioles want M. Harvey and Felix to mentor the young guys and re-establish their value for trades, best case scenario. 

I still think LeBlanc is on the outside looking in, and he is strictly a fall back option right now. I think Zimmermann is still in the pen to start, unless they move Akin to the pen, which may be his best place long term. 

With all due respect, there’s a lot to disagree with here. The Orioles are already giving Felix and Harvey opportunities to earn a spot and they are not doing so. Even if Harvey looks better than Felix, neither looks as good as a few other candidates. LeBlanc has done well, why would you want one of the others over him? He’s done better, and can also offer that sweet, sweet, “veteran presence.” Zimmerman’s had the best camp of anybody, why would you put him in the pen, especially over Felix or Harvey? 

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

With all due respect, there’s a lot to disagree with here. The Orioles are already giving Felix and Harvey opportunities to earn a spot and they are not doing so. Even if Harvey looks better than Felix, neither looks as good as a few other candidates. LeBlanc has done well, why would you want one of the others over him? He’s done better, and can also offer that sweet, sweet, “veteran presence.” Zimmerman’s had the best camp of anybody, why would you put him in the pen, especially over Felix or Harvey? 

Just think what it would do for the O's as a destination for pitchers that need fixing if Holt can turn Harvey into what he once was.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Just think what it would do for the O's as a destination for pitchers that need fixing if Holt can turn Harvey into what he once was.  

Doesn’t answer my question, plus, that remains to be seen.

Besides, it is entirely possible to be improved, but not improved enough.

On 3/15/2021 at 7:19 PM, Philip said:

Harvey had a really nice outing today. LeBlanc did well last year and got smoked when the season started. Spring stats, with all due respect, mean very very little. But hey, you’re entitled to your opinion. We disagree. 

Zimm has been great, sure. But they are also easing him into the year and his innings. He will certainly get some starts. I think he is a better starter long term than Akin, as I wrote earlier. He has faced some decent hitters, and also some reserves who will not be major leaguers in a few weeks. Success in the Spring means just about nothing when evaluating pitching. 

A lot more goes into this than stats. How their stuff looks, how strong they are getting, if they are healthy, track record, who they actually face in these games that do not matter and they are not where they are going to be in the weeks and months to come. That evaluation is all based on the manager and coaches experience and they interpret data that you and I have no access to is many cases. 

I get it, you don’t want to see Hernandez and Harvey become Orioles. You prefer LeBlanc. You’ve said it repeatedly. I read your comments previously. Whether you like it or not, there is value there with veteran experience and what they can impart to young guys, not to mention the value of what their improvement may bring on a trade market. Two former dominant pitchers have a lot to offer. 

For the record, I did not want more than one vet starter going North coming into Spring. Then they signed Harvey, and I am intrigued. I wanted Zimm to earn a starter spot from the outset, but their process may preclude him starting right away. Zimm is also an optionable asset on a staff with few guys who can or would be optioned for a fresh arm in case they keep 13 pitchers only. 

My guess is that Felix kinda is what he is at this point. Maybe he finds another tick or two, but he’ll find a way to compete on most days. Harvey has progressed some already with his use fo the two seam today. He hung two breaking balls today, and he paid. A lot of breaking balls get hung in Spring Training by even the best starters. Hyde said today that Harvey got a lot of ugly swings, and that is much better an indicator than meaningless March stats. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Just a nit here.   No one is going to Norfolk after major league ST.  The alternate site will be in Bowie and the will be 24 to 26 players there in April.  Games at Norfolk begin in May.  Other then that I agree with your statement.

You are correct, sir. Old man brain. Thanks!

Just now, Jammer7 said:

Harvey had a really nice outing today. LeBlanc did well last year and got smoked when the season started. Spring stats, with all due respect, mean very very little. But hey, you’re entitled to your opinion. We disagree. 

Zimm has been great, sure. But they are also easing him into the year and his innings. He will certainly get some starts. I think he is a better starter long term than Akin, as I wrote earlier. He has faced some decent hitters, and also so reserved who will not be major leaguers in a few weeks. Success in the Spring means just about nothing when evaluating pitching. 

A lot more goes into this than stats. How their stuff looks, how strong they are getting, if they are healthy, track record, who they actually face in these games that do not matter and they are not where they are going to be in the weeks and months to come. That evaluation is all based on the manager and coaches experience and they interpret data that you and I have no access to is many cases. 

I get it, you don’t want to see Hernandez and Harvey become Orioles. You prefer LeBlanc. You’ve said it repeatedly. I read your comments previously. Whether you like it or not, there is value there with veteran experience and what they can impart to young guys, not to mention the value of what their improvement may bring on a trade market. Two former dominant pitchers have a lot to offer. 

For the record, I did not want more than one vet starter going North coming into Spring. Then they signed Harvey, and I am intrigued. I wanted Zimm to earn a starter spot from the outset, but their process may preclude him starting right away. Zimm is also an optionable asset on a staff with few guys who can or would be optioned for a fresh arm in case they keep 13 pitchers only. 

My guess is that Felix kinda is what he is at this point. Maybe he finds another tick or two, but he’ll find a way to compete on most days. Harvey has progressed some already with his use fo the two seam today. He hung two breaking balls today, and he paid. A lot of breaking balls get hung in Spring Training by even the best starters. Hyde said today that Harvey got a lot of ugly swings, and that is much better an indicator than meaningless March stats. 

I appreciate your comment, but you’re a little unjust. It’s not that “I don’t want to see them become orioles” that’s a pretty ridiculous thing to assume, And I have given no grounds for the assumption.

I want the five best guys to go north, and I don’t think those two are among the five best guys.

Yes ST stats In themselves don’t mean a whole lot, but on the one hand you say Leblanc’s good spring means nothing, and then you say that Harvey was good today, implying that that means something. LeBlanc may get hammered if he makes the team, But he seems to be doing better than the other two. I’ve also been pleasantly surprised by Lopez.

I appreciate that velocity, locating pitches, working on things beyond getting outs, and the like are much more meaningful than results. I still think that Felix doesn’t deserve a spot, and Harvey probably does not, and LeBlanc can provide all that unquantifiable “veteran presence” a team needs.

But let me close by making it very clear what I have made clear before, I want the best five to go north, and if that includes both of these fellows, well that’s great and no one will be more pleased about it than I... Well, probably they will be, but you know what I mean.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I appreciate your comment, but you’re a little unjust. It’s not that “I don’t want to see them become orioles” that’s a pretty ridiculous thing to assume, And I have given no grounds for the assumption.

I want the five best guys to go north, and I don’t think those two are among the five best guys.

Yes ST stats In themselves don’t mean a whole lot, but on the one hand you say Leblanc’s good spring means nothing, and then you say that Harvey was good today, implying that that means something. LeBlanc may get hammered if he makes the team, But he seems to be doing better than the other two. I’ve also been pleasantly surprised by Lopez.

I appreciate that velocity, locating pitches, working on things beyond getting outs, and the like are much more meaningful than results. I still think that Felix doesn’t deserve a spot, and Harvey probably does not, and LeBlanc can provide all that unquantifiable “veteran presence” a team needs.

But let me close by making it very clear what I have made clear before, I want the best five to go north, and if that includes both of these fellows, well that’s great and no one will be more pleased about it than I... Well, probably they will be, but you know what I mean.

See my previous post for explaining why you evaluating these men by their Spring stats is a terrible way to determine who the best 5 are. 

6 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

See my previous post for explaining why you evaluating these men by their Spring stats is a terrible way to determine who the best 5 are. 

In the absence of being able to watch the games, and with most of us having very little or no scouting acumen anyway, there’s not much to go on here, unfortunately.    So of course people are going to look at the line scores.   I’m sure Hyde and his staff, who are watching firsthand and actually know what they’re talking about, are judging things a lot more on what they’re seeing.   

I’ll say this: the radar gun certainly doesn’t tell me that much.    Just because Harvey is generating decent velocity doesn’t mean he can pitch effectively.   I do find Felix’s current velocity to be very problematic and it’s really hard for me to imagine him making the team unless it starts ticking up a few notches and he otherwise looks sharp.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Philip said: