Maikel Franco Deal with Os Final

LookinUp

On Mullins bench days, if DH Mancini is having a legs day too and we're standing on LF Mountcastle hill, then 1B Ruiz I think is nicer than 1B Stewart, 1B Valaika.    I'm really curious the first month to see how set LF Mountcastle is; even if Diaz busts, you'd guess Santander/Kjerstad the corners in time.

That does clear up if Santander trade bait, but hoping for not that.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

On Mullins bench days, if DH Mancini is having a legs day too and we're standing on LF Mountcastle hill, then 1B Ruiz I think is nicer than 1B Stewart, 1B Valaika.    I'm really curious the first month to see how set LF Mountcastle is; even if Diaz busts, you'd guess Santander/Kjerstad the corners in time.

That does clear up if Santander trade bait, but hoping for not that.

Lol, yeah, pretty much this is the scenario in which Ruiz plays 1B. End of the day that's better than Davis over there. 

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah Ruiz basically assumes Davis' spot on the bench, playing occasional 1B or 3B or DH. That does make some sense. 

I don't see Ruiz sticking on this team when Franco is signed. The Orioles are probably going to go with 14 pitchers which means only three subs outside of the starting 9.

Those three should be:
Backup catcher: Sisco
Utility infielder: Valaika (who can also fill in in corner outfield in a pinch)
Utility player 2: I'm going to go with Urias for now.

If Rio had more versatility I could see him sticking around, but he doesn't.

Thankfully they don't have to waste a spot on Davis. Since Davis stepped in the Ubaldo pot hole and hurt his back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Is he though? You can find plenty of readily available data that he and Ruiz are kind of the same offensive player. In fact Ruiz has better exit velo numbers. So I wonder if Elias and Co. see something else, or if there's some kind of roster shakeup yet to be revealed. 

One difference is Franco hits right handed pitching better

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't see Ruiz sticking on this team when Franco is signed. The Orioles are probably going to go with 14 pitchers which means only three subs outside of the starting 9.

Those three should be:

Thankfully they don't have to waste a spot on Davis. Since Davis stepped in the Ubaldo pot hole and hurt his back.

Good point, but does the team need 3 SS with Galvis, Valaika, and Urias? I could see mayyybe using Ruiz in UTIL spot #2 for a bit (they would have with Davis barring injury after all), but I agree it's not likely with 14 pitchers. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Good point, but does the team need 3 SS with Galvis, Valaika, and Urias? I could see mayyybe using Ruiz in UTIL spot #2 for a bit (they would have with Davis barring injury after all), but I agree it's not likely with 14 pitchers. 

Neither Valiaka or Urias are shortstops really, but utility guys who can play all three positions to someone what effectiveness. They are both probably best at 2B. Having them both allows for the most flexibility and ability to give guys a day off. 

I don't see a need for Ruiz because Valiaka can back up 3B and 1b and Mountcastle could come in and play 1B if needed which then gives the Orioles their best defensive outfield of Hays, Mullins, Santander.

Of course the other thing is to give Sisco a 1st base glove and give him some experience there and then carry a third catcher, but  don't think he hits enough consistently to do that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

So if Franco is signing a major league contract now and the Orioles need to make space now, does that mean that they can't put Chris Davis on the 60 IL to make room now?    

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Right..but I think they can retroactive it back.

I was wrong on some of this. The rule says you can put a player on the 60 day during Spring Training and throughout the season, just not the post season or off season. When someone is put in the 60 day IL, they must spend 60 days of the major league regular season on the 60 day IL. Minor league players have to wait to be put on the list when the season actually begins. 

I think it usually happens right before Spring Training ends and the 26 man would be set. But if they need the space they could put CD on the 60 day IL as long as they replace his spot on the reserve list, aka 40 man roster. The 40 man has to be full. 

https://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3538

Keep

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Those three should be:

I am a Urias fan.  I feel like he could stick.  Does he play OF too? If Sanchez doesn't hit, he could grab a chunk of playing time at 2B. Let Sanchez and Valaikia give breaks to Franco/Galvis/Urias a couple times a week.

Does Elias keep Ruiz in camp till the end to see if he can mustard out some trade value, or does he cut him now?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Neither Valiaka or Urias are shortstops really, but utility guys who can play all three positions to someone what effectiveness. They are both probably best at 2B. Having them both allows for the most flexibility and ability to give guys a day off. 

I don't see a need for Ruiz because Valiaka can back up 3B and 1b and Mountcastle could come in and play 1B if needed which then gives the Orioles their best defensive outfield of Hays, Mullins, Santander.

Of course the other thing is to give Sisco a 1st base glove and give him some experience there and then carry a third catcher, but  don't think he hits enough consistently to do that.

It's weird they never really did this with Sisco even just to make him slightly more versatile. The hopes of him becoming a good defensive catcher are non-existent at this point. 

42 minutes ago, interloper said:

I find it hard to believe the O's would keep two guys on the 26-man roster who both are limited to 3B/1B/DH, but I guess if Davis is out forever, Rio just replaces Davis. 

Maybe...just MAYBE...this is a sign that Davis is done.  

I know it's wishful thinking.  But after all of Davis' bluster about how he worked this offseason and the changes, whatever, he comes to ST and can't make it past 72 hours without getting hurt.  I mean c'mon.  That might be the straw that broke the camel's back and they're just figuring out a way to get 3rd base locked down and keep Ruiz on the roster.  Maybe...just maybe they're going to release Davis and eat the rest of the contract before Opening Day.  It seems like for whatever reason that they like Rio Ruiz.  I don't see how they have Franco, Ruiz and Davis when Davis comes back...if Davis comes back.  And I don't see how you keep Franco/Ruiz, two guys that have some small amount of upside over the Guiness Book of World Records holder of the biggest albatross ever.  

That's most likely not what's going to happen but a guy can dream.

24 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Really drawing this thing out.

You'd think he was Alex Bregman or Yasmani Grandal or something where a "strained hamstring while sprinting in January" sidelines somebody until 2 weeks before Opening Day.    We can't just say "you're old and/or we're about to ride you into the ground" without the artifice.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe...just MAYBE...this is a sign that Davis is done.  

I know it's wishful thinking.  But after all of Davis' bluster about how he worked this offseason and the changes, whatever, he comes to ST and can't make it past 72 hours without getting hurt.  I mean c'mon.  That might be the straw that broke the camel's back and they're just figuring out a way to get 3rd base locked down and keep Ruiz on the roster.  Maybe...just maybe they're going to release Davis and eat the rest of the contract before Opening Day.  It seems like for whatever reason that they like Rio Ruiz.  I don't see how they have Franco, Ruiz and Davis when Davis comes back...if Davis comes back.  And I don't see how you keep Franco/Ruiz, two guys that have some small amount of upside over the Guiness Book of World Records holder of the biggest albatross ever.  

That's most likely not what's going to happen but a guy can dream.

I like where your head's at anyway. Ruiz does have an option remaining, I believe I read, so that's one way to keep both Davis and Ruiz. Lol. THERE'S ALWAYS A WAY MOOSE