McGregor on Rutschman: "They're throwing it (fastballs) by him right now"

Tony-OH

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sounds like Andrew Vaughn is going to make the OD roster of the White Sox.

Advanced college hitter, same draft and minimal minor league experience.

White Sox aren't planning on tanking this season. 

They had this crazy idea that only two years as a really bad team was somehow enough.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

White Sox aren't planning on tanking this season. 

They had this crazy idea that only two years as a really bad team was somehow enough.

Yep...they also traded their best players when they should have instead of waiting like the Os did with Manny and Britton.  That really helped to accelerate this process for them.

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep...they also traded their best players when they should have instead of waiting like the Os did with Manny and Britton.  That really helped to accelerate this process for them.

That part of the conversation is always ignored. They also while trying to win dealt Tatis for Shields. 

The Orioles tried to win in 18 and it blew up in their face in an historical fashion. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

That part of the conversation is always ignored. They also while trying to win dealt Tatis for Shields. 

The Orioles tried to win in 18 and it blew up in their face in an historical fashion. L

Yep, I’m not sure if the organization has ever made a mistake(s) as large as not trading Manny or Britton after 2016.

I get it, they thought they could win in 2017 but that was always a poor decision.

Trading those 2 at the peak of their value could have netted us a tremendous return.  Those are the types of trade that catapult your organization for years if you make the right moves.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep, I’m not sure if the organization has ever made a mistake(s) as large as not trading Manny or Britton after 2016.

I get it, they thought they could win in 2017 but that was always a poor decision.

Trading those 2 at the peak of their value could have netted us a tremendous return.  Those are the types of trade that catapult your organization for years if you make the right moves.

Buck and Dan were both ring hunting.  You want to make a move like you are suggesting you need to get another GM and Manager.

21 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

1. Abrams isn't already more advanced. He has nine plate appearances above rookie ball and has a lower 2021 OPS in spring training than Adley. Centerfielders and shortstops are faster than catchers.

2. SS and CF are not more premium defensive positions than catcher, they are to the right of catcher on the defensive spectrum. Unlike Adley, an elite defender, Abrams doesn't yet have a defensive position.

3. Adley was not old for his class. Of the next 8 college players drafted immediately after Adley, five are older and a sixth is a week younger than Adley.

4. I have no idea why the Covid situation would be worse for college draftees than high school draftees.

5. 23 year-old Adley will be in AA, not high A.

6. Yes, Adley is the consensus #2 prospect which is "elite".

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This my friends is what you call a calm factual Hangout smackdown! Well done!

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Buck and Dan were both ring hunting.  You want to make a move like you are suggesting you need to get another GM and Manager.

No question.  This is 100% the reason although if you are ring hunting, you figure you do more to make the team better.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No question.  This is 100% the reason although if you are ring hunting, you figure you do more to make the team better.

I don’t think Peter was ever going to not and try and win coming off a playoff berth. The most realistic time to sell off was at the deadline in 17. Instead they acquired Hellickson and Beckham. 

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This my friends is what you call a calm factual Hangout smackdown! Well done!

For now, but I stand by my prediction that CJ Abrams will far eclipse AR in WAR, five years from now.

And please catcher more valuable defensively than SS or CF?

What is this back in the days of Willie Wilson & Rickey Henderson when there was a need to control the running game?

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

For now, but I stand by my prediction that CJ Abrams will far eclipse AR in WAR, five years from now.

What is this back in the days of Willie Wilson & Rickey Henderson when there was a need to control the running game?

What is this back in the day without record numbers of home runs and strike outs?

13 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

That's fine, everyone can have an opinion, but I think some of statements were over the top especially about Rutschman's age and level considering COVID lost a year for everyone.

Catcher is one of the most important defensive positions on the field because he's the field general and he's involved in every pitch. Saying that, if I had equal talent of players and had to choose between a C and SS, I would choose the SS. 

Time will tell whether Rutschman was the right choice, but if Abrams or Witt or someone else becomes a better overall player, it certainly won't be the first time the #1 overall pick was not the best player in the draft when it was all said and done.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

There's certainly an argument to be made for that.  At least while framing is still a thing.  According to Fangraphs' accounting the four most valuable defensive players in 2019 were catchers, and in 2020 Christian Vazquez (top catcher) was more valuable in 356 innings than Francisco Lindor (top SS) was in 508.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have a lot of questions if Rutschman will be the best player in that’s years draft but I have no question that he was the safest pick.  

Even a guy like Vaughn was “small”, so that was an issue.

Rutschman was the consensus #1 pick. It wasn't a reach or a value pick.  Most scouts, GMs, publications had him #1. I don't think you can ever fault a GM for taking the consensus #1.