John Means 2021

Il BuonO

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

We shouldn't extend Means because of his injury history but we should sign McHugh, a guy who has appeared in about 250 innings since 2017 and didn't pitch at all in 2020.  He hasn't had more than 12 starts since 2016.

I like him and wanted us to go after him in the past and I would try to add him as a reliever this offseason but relying on him while also talking about someone else's injury history is pretty funny.

Also, what about Price self centered (btw, most pro athletes have giant egos)?

McHugh would be cheap and for one year. Means would neither be cheap nor brief. There is no contradiction there.

Re: Price. I don’t know anything specific, but he does seem to be all about himself and no one else matters. I don’t know whether I buy into the “he’s a team player” theory, but for instance, Jose Bautista is an arrogant jerk, even though he was a great player. I’d hate to have him, good player or not. Price has always come across as a negative, and I’d prefer to seek elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, Philip said:

McHugh would be cheap and for one year. Means would neither be cheap nor brief. There is no contradiction there.

Re: Price. I don’t know anything specific, but he does seem to be all about himself and no one else matters. I don’t know whether I buy into the “he’s a team player” theory, but for instance, Jose Bautista is an arrogant jerk, even though he was a great player. I’d hate to have him, good player or not. Price has always come across as a negative, and I’d prefer to seek elsewhere.

Ok, so this is just something you are making up based on your own thoughts.  Got it.  

I thought you had some actual evidence or something.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ok, so this is just something you are making up based on your own thoughts.  Got it.  

What did I say that warranted that comment? My comment about McHugh and Means Is entirely valid and so much common sense that it doesn’t surprise me that you did not refer to it.
Regarding Price, yes, I stand by what I said. I even admitted at the beginning of the comment that I didn’t have anything specific. And you’re welcome to take that as nothing if you wish.

48 minutes ago, Philip said:

Means? He’s not?

I don’t know what the term “power starter” means.   My interpretation would be an above average fastball and a lot of strikeouts.   That isn’t Means.   But perhaps you mean something different.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know what the term “power starter” means.   My interpretation would be an above average fastball and a lot of strikeouts.   That isn’t Means.   But perhaps you mean something different.  

Yeah that’s what I meant. A hard throwing lefty, and doesn’t Means hit the upper 90s?

I know Collin McHugh for some is a shorthand for a kind of early Astros improving find to help a perennial mega-loser back towards respectability, but just a quick plug the actual Collin McHugh is kind of doing the Nick Anderson things for the Rays this year, and if he keeps it up another 7-8 weeks, he'll enter the 2022 FA market probably looking for something like Drew Pomeranz/Trevor May riches.

He had the Miguel Gonzalez chapter of his career, but is making a nice second act for himself now.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Philip said:

What did I say that warranted that comment? My comment about McHugh and Means Is entirely valid and so much common sense that it doesn’t surprise me that you did not refer to it.
Regarding Price, yes, I stand by what I said. I even admitted at the beginning of the comment that I didn’t have anything specific. And you’re welcome to take that as nothing if you wish.

Well it is the definition of nothing.  You have no evidence and nothing to back it up.  It’s just some off hand comment that has no basis.

24 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yeah that’s what I meant. A hard throwing lefty, and doesn’t Means hit the upper 90s?

His average fastball is 92.9, ranking 91st among 135 pitchers who’ve thrown at least 80 innings this year (which pretty much eliminates relief pitchers).

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Well it is the definition of nothing.  You have no evidence and nothing to back it up.  It’s just some off hand comment that has no basis.

Well my comment about price was not intended to be anything else, and I said so. You are welcome to ignore it. Actually I wish you would; I have other things to do.

My comments about means and McHugh are self evidently valid. You cannot suggest I am being contradictory because McHugh Would be signed for a short time in a small amount of money and an extension for Means would be for a much longer time in for a much greater amount of money, and it is entirely logical to oppose one and support the other, or vice versa.

• 2 weeks later...

Means pitched a very good game last night (at least, by looking at the box score) but got no support from his offense or the bullpen, which let a 1-0 game through 7 innings (and a bequeathed runner on 2B with nobody out in the 8th) get totally out of hand in the last two innings.   

In his last 4 starts, Means has thrown 24 innings to a 3.33 ERA but the O’s have lost all four games.   The O’s have scored a total of 7 runs in those games.

On 8/31/2021 at 3:45 PM, Sports Guy said:

Geez, i just took 5 minutes to do simple google searches, and came up with several articles that describe Price as a prima Donna and an arsehole.  Why couldn’t you do that simple task, SportsGuy, and not besmirch philip?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

Geez, i just took 5 minutes to do simple google searches, and came up with several articles that describe Price as a prima Donna and an arsehole.  Why couldn’t you do that simple task, SportsGuy, and not besmirch philip?

And I can find articles stating otherwise.

Phillip made an accusation and asked for evidence.  He had none.  Explain to me what’s wrong with asking someone for evidence about something that they are accusing someone else of?

• Downvote 1

You are joking, right?  So, the fact that you can find articles saying price is a nice guy and articles saying that he’s a bad teammate,  makes it likely that he is not a bad teammate? Again, this is Internet searching 101, where I can find several articles stating that price is a bad teammate ,  I assume that is not the case for most other baseball players. To me, that’s pretty strong evidence that we should stay away from that guy. Hearsay, of course, but since no one of us spends time in major league dugouts, That is the best evidence that we can get for something like this. You really need to think things out before you post, or otherwise wake up without having a stick up your butt.

Edited by Chelsea_Phil
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Chelsea_Phil said:

You are joking, right?  So, the fact that you can find articles saying price is a nice guy and articles saying that he’s a bad teammate,  makes it likely that he is not a bad teammate? Again, this is Internet searching 101, where I can find several articles same price is a bad teammate ,  I assume that is not the case for most other baseball players. To me, that’s pretty strong evidence that we should stay away from that guy. Hearsay, of course, but since no one spends time in dugouts, That is the best evidence that we can get for something like this. You really need to think things out before you post, or otherwise wake up without having a stick up your butt.

Nah, I’m good.  It’s not on me to do research on a topic that someone else brings up.  The burden of proof is on the person who is making the accusations. 

I have read stuff about him being a douche to the media (I don’t care about that) and he had some issues with Farrell.  Also read his teammates loved him.  

I also know that he is at a different point in his career than he was 2-5 years ago.

Nothing I have seen would prevent me from wanting him here.