The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

3 hours ago, dystopia said:

There is no reason to PH for O'Hearn ever with the way he's hitting. 

There is a reason why O'Hearn has just four PAs this year against lefties. He just can't hit them. The question is how early do you pull him because to me, you don't start playing matchups until the 7th inning or later depending on the situation. Perhaps the 6th if it's a real key situation in a close game, but I worry about matchups that early because it could lead you to a bad matchup late in a game when you absolutely want your best matchup.

Screenshot2023-06-21091002.thumb.png.dcae03fc657fa0b948e90fea80f714c5.png

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

There is a reason why O'Hearn has just four PAs this year against lefties. He just can't hit them. The question how early do you pull him because to me, you don't start playing matchups until the 7th inning or later depending on the situation. Perhaps the 6th if it's a real key situation in a close game, but I worry about matchups that early because it could lead you to a bad matchup late in a game when you absolutely want your best matchup.

He’s also been like a .220 hitter overall before this year, so I’m not sure saying “he can’t hit lefties” based on data from years past where he couldn’t hit anyone is really good logic. 

21 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Today's lineup. Why Urias at 1B and O'Hearn DH? Reverse that. Why Mateo over Ortiz now?

It's better to have Urias at 1B because if you need to pinch hit for Mateo you can move Gunnar to SS, Urias from 1B to 3B, and bring in someone like Lester to play 1st.   Urias at DH means you can't move him somewhere else defensivley when needed.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

It's better to have Urias at 1B because if you need to pinch hit for Mateo you can move Gunnar to SS, Urias from 1B to 3B, and bring in someone like Lester to play 1st.   Urias at DH means you can't move him somewhere else defensivley when needed.

Also Urias is probably a better 1B anyway, even with his lack of experience at that corner. 

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

He’s also been like a .220 hitter overall before this year, so I’m not sure saying “he can’t hit lefties” based on data from years past where he couldn’t hit anyone is really good logic. 

So his entire life's work against left-handers has no relevance because he's hitting good this year? Gotcha. Let's just say I disagree and move on.

A thought just occurred to me during the rain delay. Games like this when there is rain in the forecast would be perfect to use an opener strategy. Otherwise if you stick with your starter you risk either losing them after an inning or pitching like crap. It annoys me that the Os have never used openers but especially with rain in the forecast it seems like you almost have to do it.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

A thought just occurred to me during the rain delay. Games like this when there is rain in the forecast would be perfect to use an opener strategy. Otherwise if you stick with your starter you risk either losing them after an inning or pitching like crap. It annoys me that the Os have never used openers but especially with rain in the forecast it seems like you almost have to do it.

I'd consider Irvin an opener.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

You’re still playing with fire of a sort, trying to outsmart the weather. Tonight as an example… an opener would have gone two innings, at best, before giving the ball to Irvin anyway. Who would have then pitched the third and been removed after the second rain delay regardless.

• Upvote 1

On 6/21/2023 at 9:12 AM, Tony-OH said:

There is a reason why O'Hearn has just four PAs this year against lefties. He just can't hit them. The question is how early do you pull him because to me, you don't start playing matchups until the 7th inning or later depending on the situation. Perhaps the 6th if it's a real key situation in a close game, but I worry about matchups that early because it could lead you to a bad matchup late in a game when you absolutely want your best matchup.

You think there's anything to the fact he's hitting a respectable .243/.336/.449 versus LH starters in 125 PA? It seems to be those 43 PA against LH relievers that are killing the overall line.