MInors - 2 starters per game - Starter & 2nd Starter

Redskins Rick

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

They've been piggybacking guys for years right?

Here and there, even a string of a couple of games.

It sounds like this is how the entire MIL season will play out.

I suspect, they are working towards moving this to the ML, and really change the outlook on SP.

This was what the Astros did for several years. I remember we obtained a LHP (Chris Lee) in 2015 who stalled in Norfolk. I remember the discussion about him being a reliever, but it was discovered that the Astros had been piggy-backing starters. It’s an interesting idea, and it makes sense to keep the innings under control. They can always throw more in the pen after they exit , if they need more. 

On 4/13/2021 at 3:07 PM, Jammer7 said:

This was what the Astros did for several years. I remember we obtained a LHP (Chris Lee) in 2015 who stalled in Norfolk. I remember the discussion about him being a reliever, but it was discovered that the Astros had been piggy-backing starters. It’s an interesting idea, and it makes sense to keep the innings under control. They can always throw more in the pen after they exit , if they need more. 

Yeah but how good did this work out for Houston considering their primary SP were acquired from outside the org?  Grienke, Cole, Verlander, Mchugh, Miley, Fiers, Morton, Peacock, Fister, Feldman. 

Only McCullers and Kuechel came through their system. 

They grew the bats and bought the arms. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah but how good did this work out for Houston considering their primary SP were acquired from outside the org?  Grienke, Cole, Verlander, Mchugh, Miley, Fiers, Morton, Peacock, Fister, Feldman. 

Only McCullers and Kuechel came through their system. 

They grew the bats and bought the arms. 

I agree that the Astros did not seem to have success. I guess we’ll see if this is different.

On 4/12/2021 at 10:19 AM, Redskins Rick said:

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/04/piggyback-pitching-will-come-to-the-os-farm-this-year.html

No matter how you label it, sounds like 2 starters for each minor league game this year for the Orioles.

Maybe the MLB O's should mimic this practice other than the games Means starts.  We already have the minor league starters, just they're pitching in the majors. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Is there any team other than the Rays that are able to grow the arms with any success?

Good question. Cleveland, Dodgers, Padres and Cardinals come to mind. I don't have empirical data to back that up, just my perception.

Several years ago, it seemed like the Mets were well stocked in young pitching on the major league roster and in the minors. Aside from Degrom, not much left from that group, and that was only 5-6 years ago. 

On 4/26/2021 at 10:27 PM, Jammer7 said:

Good question. Cleveland, Dodgers, Padres and Cardinals come to mind. I don't have empirical data to back that up, just my perception.

Several years ago, it seemed like the Mets were well stocked in young pitching on the major league roster and in the minors. Aside from Degrom, not much left from that group, and that was only 5-6 years ago. 

The Dodgers buy their arms.

But, you make several good points.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Actually, the Dodgers have had great success in the past seven years growing their own arms. Our own Dean Kremer, Walker Buehler, Dustin May, Julio Urias*, Caleb Ferguson*, Mitch White, Josiah Gray, Bobby Miller, Tony Gonsolin, Clayton Beeter, Dennis Santana and Jordan Sheffield were all drafted/signed and developed by them. You could argue that they have been the best at developing pitching. Hyun Jin Ryu was signed by them, though already a finished product. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Starting rotation.

Bauer- Free agent acquisition

Kershaw- Drafted by the Dodgers

Buehler- Drafted by the Dodgers

Urias- International signing by  the Dodgers

May- Drafted by the Dodgers

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Actually, the Dodgers have had great success in the past seven years growing their own arms. Our own Dean Kremer, Walker Buehler, Dustin May, Julio Urias*, Caleb Ferguson*, Mitch White, Josiah Gray, Bobby Miller, Tony Gonsolin, Clayton Beeter, Dennis Santana and Jordan Sheffield were all drafted/signed and developed by them. You could argue that they have been the best at developing pitching. Hyun Jin Ryu was signed by them, though already a finished product. 

i stand corrected. Well played.

I guess with all the bodies they buy whenever they need to, has clouded my memory.

I do remember, they lost all 5 SP, and picked up 5 more from outside the org one year, and still managed to have a playoff run.

• Upvote 1