Why was Cedric Mullins ever a switch hitter?

Frobby

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hays is my favorite but I do enjoy Mullins’ game.   

Yea just playing.  

Both are fun to watch and I agree completely that Mullins should have given up switch hitting quite a while ago, it seems. 

But he’s only 26 so possibly a long productive career ahead of him.  

• Upvote 1

I was looking early in the year if he could get it to the gaps twice a week to keep outfielders honest.   I guess that counts for this week!

He's even like 75th percentile in O-Swing%.

I suppose from here you have to forecast he's either leapfrogged Hays for a future regular role, or the roadblock in front of Yusniel is bigger than it seemed all offseason.

I think the team might be a little salty about the Yanks spotting in their SP6 and giving everybody an extra day to push Cole out of this 4-game series.   We'll see if it helps Kluber tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, putting aside the results (15 for 33 vs. LHP this year), Cedric seems very, very comfortable facing lefties.   Hangs in there, sees the ball extremely well.   So what genius high school coach decided he should switch hit?

I feel like Cedric could’ve had a much better career to this point if he’d just batted lefty all the time in the first place.

I remember before the season wildcard projected that Mullins would equal his career BA vs. RHP against the lefties if he gave up switch hitting, and I said not likely.    Well, I am eating crow, happily.  

I was alone at that time but now I have plenty of company.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I was alone at that time but now I have plenty of company.

He has earned it, for now.  I still think that was a poor assumption to make, and that you had no facts on which to base it.   But it’s working out so far and I hope you continue to be right.  

• Haha 1

He's dazzling right now.  Starting to wonder how much of this is for real vs. how much of it is a hot streak to start the season.  

But it'd be a great thing if this turns out to be real.  Not saying I expect him to hit .350 but if he's locked into making himself our starting centerfielder for the next few years, that's a great thing.  

I've often wondered how many major leaguers need to find a small adjustment in order to go from below average/average to great.  We saw it with Jose Bautista.  Max Muncy comes to mind.  I hope Cedric is one of those guys...and it looks like all he had to do was give up hitting from the right side.

• Upvote 1