Darren Holmes incredible interview

wildcard

If you want to know why the O's bullpen is doing so well, listen to this interview.  Darren explains what he and Holt do and what the relievers do.   He explains how they break down the pitcher's mechanics starting with the foot.  He explains how tuned in the relievers are when any of the staff is on the mound.  And how much work they do before each game.  

I have never heard a pitching coach break it down like this.   In fact, I remember when one of the O's pitching coaches use to say to fix a pitcher he had to be sent to AAA.  That was back when Chris Tillman was begining in the majors.

https://art19.com/shows/baltimore-orioles-inside-the-yard-podcast/episodes/0a6c4b97-d042-44ef-be66-383f8d0cf996

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I don’t always listen to it, I agree that Inside the Yard is an excellent podcast.   It’s a good format for getting into some issues in detail.    Arnold and Hollander do a great job with it.   

Thanks for the heads up and I’ll be sure to give it a listen this weekend.  

Really, really interesting interview. Holmes is very impressive and it's great to hear how much work he and Holt put in with the pitchers. He's a great example of an "old school" pitching coach that put in the effort to understand the analytics.

As for the podcast, Hollander and Arnold are outstanding and their knowledge of the game and the Orioles really shines through.

• Upvote 2