GREAT NEWS!!! Kim gains eligibility

markpolis

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AWESOME!!!!!!

It's nice to hear some good news about the program every once in a while.

It's too bad that Gary sucks at the administrative part of his job ;):P

If he didn't "suck" at it this wouldn't be an issue, as detailed ad nauseum this only seems to happen to Md Men's basketball.

If he didn't "suck" at it this wouldn't be an issue, as detailed ad nauseum this only seems to happen to Md Men's basketball.

So if we want college basketball information, we should go to you. Since you know all 350 Division I teams well enough to know that we are the only team that has these issues.

I'll keep that in mind, since it "seems" to be the only explanation for how sure you are in your opinions.

Excellent news! I'm not sure what role he will play in the short term, but Kim has a chance to be an excellent player for us!

Also not sure why this would be a referendum on Gary's ability to run the program. Clearly the NCAA erred in its initial decision, as they tend to do at times. Good to see they've rectified their error and Kim can get on the court!

Whether he has much of an impact on the team or not, it is always good for a freshman to be eligible and get some playing time for the future, not neccassarily for 2009.

Kim sounds like he may be able to help extend defenses, even if for just a few minutes a game. If he can prove that he can knock down the jumper, even if it is in small doses during the game, it only helps to open up the inside more.

I don;t think you can say Gary sucks at the admin part of his job. He just continues to recruit whoever he can sign despite if they have these academic issues. I was told that Kim took three basic HS graduation requirement courses via the internet and that they doubted they would ever pass the Clearinghouse. Well they got it thru. For the people who feel the NCAA has it in for Maryland or Debbie Yow's admin staff is working against the basketball coach this pretty much blows those theories up. Without the support of the academic side of Maryland this would have never happened. Now they get to play the games. I think Kim will end up being a decent player in a couple of years. His problem out of the gate will be he can't cover people which will cause Gary to keep him on the bench. He may be the best shooter they have.

So if we want college basketball information, we should go to you. Since you know all 350 Division I teams well enough to know that we are the only team that has these issues.

I'll keep that in mind, since it "seems" to be the only explanation for how sure you are in your opinions.

I get most of my information from a very good, impartial, time tested source-The ACC Sports Journal. Why don't you try to name another program that has had as many administrative issues over the past two or even five years?

Look, I am on record as loving GW as a coach-I have never, nor will I ever second guess something he does on the court-I respect him that much. That being said there are other aspects to the job that he really struggles at and these have been well documented by legitimate sources. If you choose to ignore them please see Tony's post on the previous thread.......

I get most of my information from a very good, impartial, time tested source-The ACC Sports Journal. Why don't you try to name another program that has had as many administrative issues over the past two or even five years?

Look, I am on record as loving GW as a coach-I have never, nor will I ever second guess something he does on the court-I respect him that much. That being said there are other aspects to the job that he really struggles at and these have been well documented by legitimate sources. If you choose to ignore them please see Tony's post on the previous thread.......

If you are going to criticize him for the bad, then why not compliment him for the good?

Like taking a guy that otherwise would have missed school while hurt and getting him to take the needed correspondence courses instead to get him into school and on the team a year earlier than expected? Then not giving up and seeing the clearinghouse process through to the end?

I'm sure you would just refer to that as spin, but that is why I have so little regard for your (and others) opinions on Gary Williams.

If you are going to criticize him for the bad, then why not compliment him for the good?

Like taking a guy that otherwise would have missed school while hurt and getting him to take the needed correspondence courses instead to get him into school and on the team a year earlier than expected? Then not giving up and seeing the clearinghouse process through to the end?

I'm sure you would just refer to that as spin, but that is why I have so little regard for your (and others) opinions on Gary Williams.

You seem to ignore my compliments to your own end. You do realize Kim can be a talented player that likely will burn a year as a practice player. You do realize when he was moved up Md only had nine scholarship players, not even enough to practice. Why was is so important to have him on this team early?

You are missing the whole point on the clearing house issue. In typical fashion it was not approved prior to him taking the courses and then was not submitteed in the correct fashion. It's wonderful he was cleared but again in typical fashion it wasn't done the way a "big-time" program does it.

If your expectations are an unranked team and a NIT trip every year then I can understand why you are unconcerned-I expect more. Go stick your head back in the sand, it's safer there.

You seem to ignore my compliments to your own end.

You haven't complimented him outside of vague "I respect him as a coach" comments, which say nothing.

You do realize Kim can be a talented player that likely will burn a year as a practice player. You do realize when he was moved up Md only had nine scholarship players, not even enough to practice. Why was is so important to have him on this team early?

He moved up because he was ABLE to be moved up, because of the situation you mention and because of his academic situation.

And I am not sure what your first point means. If he is a "practice player", never getting into a game, that counts as a redshirt year as far as I know.

You are missing the whole point on the clearing house issue. In typical fashion it was not approved prior to him taking the courses and then was not submitteed in the correct fashion. It's wonderful he was cleared but again in typical fashion it wasn't done the way a "big-time" program does it.

It's a specific situation, with the injury and him having to take the courses overseas.

If your expectations are an unranked team and a NIT trip every year then I can understand why you are unconcerned-I expect more.

You don't want to give a guy who rebuilt the program from nothing once the chance to do it again. Fortunately you aren't in the majority.

Go stick your head back in the sand, it's safer there.

I repeat my earlier statement about your opinions, and add more reason.

Archived