Texas Rangers designate former AL home run champion Khris Davis for assignment

Frobby

Without quoting everyone that mentioned it... I was under the impression that insurance really wasn't a factor anymore. After they had to pay Albert Belle ALL that money back in the day I thought all the companies changed their policy on it. Or at least jacked up their prices so high that no team would pay it.

Someone correct me if they know I'm wrong. I'm not a Lawyer or Insurance expert or insider in any way.

I agree with you both (OsFan and CoC) here.  In a perfect world you set a budget and let the GM operate.  But a good GM, if they are making a long term deal that say...goes beyond their contract, should probably as a good GM bring the owner along on the process...even if they have the authority.

Of course nothing of the sort was part of the Davis deal.  And O'sFanSinceThe80, you are 100% correct.  Duquette said no, period.  This wasn't a case where Boras exceeded Duquettes "limit" and Angelos came in to close the deal.   Just one of many examples in the Oriole Textbook titled...How Not to run a Baseball Franchise by Peter G. Angelos. 

55 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I agree with you both (OsFan and CoC) here.  In a perfect world you set a budget and let the GM operate.  But a good GM, if they are making a long term deal that say...goes beyond their contract, should probably as a good GM bring the owner along on the process...even if they have the authority.

Of course nothing of the sort was part of the Davis deal.  And O'sFanSinceThe80, you are 100% correct.  Duquette said no, period.  This wasn't a case where Boras exceeded Duquettes "limit" and Angelos came in to close the deal.   Just one of many examples in the Oriole Textbook titled...How Not to run a Baseball Franchise by Peter G. Angelos. 

I don't think Duquette trades for Mark Trumbo (as the primary 1B in 2016) if he's planning to resign Chris Davis. And hopefully the Angelos sons have learned from the mistakes of their father, assuming they are planning to hold onto the Orioles and not sell. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, scOtt said:

Without quoting everyone that mentioned it... I was under the impression that insurance really wasn't a factor anymore. After they had to pay Albert Belle ALL that money back in the day I thought all the companies changed their policy on it. Or at least jacked up their prices so high that no team would pay it.

Someone correct me if they know I'm wrong. I'm not a Lawyer or Insurance expert or insider in any way.

I’ve read various things.   First, there’s always a deductible (usually a minimum number of games the player has to miss before insurance can kick in.   Second, insurers will only insure three seasons at a time    Third, it’s expensive,   Because of these conditions, some teams opt not to buy it.   Here’s a pretty good article on the topic, though it’s five years old and the market may have changed since then: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/09/09/worried-about-your-aces-100-million-arm-there-is-insurance-for-that/%3foutputType=amp

• Upvote 2